News   Aug 29, 2024
 473     1 

A rental crunch on the horizon

cdr108

Member Bio
Reaction score
A rental crunch on the horizon
The downturn in the condo market may have a huge impact on renters

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081211.reBelford1212/REStory/RealEstate/home

TERRENCE BELFORD
Globe and Mail
December 11, 2008 at 5:53 PM EST

Here is a question that might take the edge off the holiday season: Is Toronto about to face another rental housing crisis?

Are we indeed heading back 25 years to the mid-1980s when apartment vacancy rates fell to just one or two available units in every thousand?

Gerry DiLeo, a partner in Rental Lifestyle Group Inc., which manages rental apartment buildings and condo suites for investors, says he is concerned. He can see signs of a future shortage.

On the other hand, Jim Ritchie, senior vice-president of sales and marketing at Tridel Corp., which through its Del Condominium Rentals Inc. manages 1,400 suites for investors, says it is too soon to tell. Much will depend on what happens to the condo market this spring and summer.

The last time Toronto faced a shortage of near-epic proportions, it was because of rent controls.

Developers simply stopped building rental buildings because they could not get rents high enough to justify their costs.

What turned the situation around was the surge in new condo construction. Investors — mainly small investors plunking hard-earned savings into one or two units — found they could buy suites then rent them for enough cash to both pay the mortgage and cover monthly maintenance costs.

At the same time a flood tide of new condo buyers took a large chunk of the rental population out of the market and vacancy rates started to climb. Developers that did create new rental projects took the precaution of registering them as condominiums as an exit strategy.

If worst came to worst in the rental market they could always sell their units as condos and get out of the rental business entirely.

That free-market approach to dealing with a social issue worked well for two decades. Unfortunately, it now seems headed straight for a collision with the brick wall of economics.

Rising condo prices have made it near impossible in many parts of the Greater Toronto Area for investors to cover costs through rents.

They are edging out of the market. Since those same investors were the ones who ensured a steady supply of rental units to meet a GTA growth rate of 100,000 new immigrants a year, the inevitable conclusion is we face a shortage somewhere down the line.

It is all in the math, Mr. DiLeo says. A 750-square-foot, one-bedroom-plus-den condo can bring anywhere from $1,750 to $1,900 on the rental market.

But the cost of that condo based on the $545 a square foot being charged for new projects in areas such as the North Yonge corridor weighs in at $408,750.

That means an investor has to fork over almost $82,000 in cash as a 20-per-cent down payment and take out a mortgage for about $327,000. The problem is, $1,750 a month in rent covers only payments on about $280,000 worth of mortgages. Now add in monthly maintenance costs of perhaps 45 cents a square foot, or about $338 a month.

The shortfall is significant.

"The result is that anyone investing today needs a series of very big rent increases to get into the black," Mr. DiLeo says. "The numbers just don't make sense any more for most small investors."

The signs were already visible last spring when Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. issued its rental market survey. CMHC reported that the vacancy rate for rental suites in structures with three or more units fell to 2.8 per cent in April from 4 per cent in the same month of 2007.

Especially hard hit is downtown Toronto, says Mr. DiLeo. Rental Lifestyle Group's portfolio includes 600 rental condo suites and vacancy rates in that area are running at about 0.5 per cent, he says, adding that that rate is about 1 per cent if you take in the entire city.

"We get more than 400 calls a week from people looking for an apartment," he says. "That is 400 people all vying for maybe 40 that we have available for rent at any one time."

The same holds true among Del's 1,400 suites, which are spread right across the GTA.

"We have virtually no vacancies," Mr. Ritchie says.

Most affected are one-bedroom and one-plus-den units. The latter have been investors' preferred buys because they can handle two tenants willing to split the rent. In a pinch, one can sleep in the den.

By comparison, Mr. DiLeo says, a 645-square-foot one-bedroom suite now goes for between $1,450 and $1,650 a month on the rental market and there is no shortage of takers.

The only area where the condo rental market still offers a reasonable supply of suites is larger units. But, at the same time, an 880-square-foot, two-bedroom suite can run anywhere from $2,000 to $3,000 a month.

Now, as for timing: Supply is already starting to shrink, and as vacancy rates fall, rent increases are certain to follow. The real crunch will not likely happen until the end of this decade.

"Right now we have under way all those suites sold to investors in 2006 and the boom year of 2007," Mr. Ritchie says. "They will start coming onto the rental market towards 2009 or 2010."

But with condo sales down now and with more modest sales expected in 2009, and with investors no longer snapping up about 30 per cent of the suites in most downtown projects because of rising prices, what comes next?

"[It's] really too soon to tell," Mr. Ritchie says. "Right now investors seem to be taking a wait-and-see attitude. What counts is what happens next year."

"I think the situation poses grave concern for the future of this city," Mr. DiLeo says. "Right now, nobody knows what might happen."

Last edited:
This is actually a positive prediction for condo investors and buyers. It suggests a price floor that will buoy any impending condo price drops.

I'm uncertain. I still think prices for both condos and condo rent will drop in a vicious downward cycle amplified by a rise in unemployment. Owners of older mid-low or middle range residential units should however stand to benefit in the short-term as people vacate the condo market. This may be offset eventually by a glut of new condo units available for rent at fire-sale prices by desperate owners. People don't realize how dodgy some of the financial situations of owners are. I'm aware for instance of many single female owners who rent out their small studio units because they can't afford to live in them themselves.

Owning a condo is still a excellent long term investment,during these hard times people who can barely afford owning a home or condo unforunately might have to sell or downsize to a smaller more affordable place.That why the smaller units 600-800 sqft condos are highly desirable during a economical slow down.As mentioned 2 or even three people can live in a 1 bedroom+den 700sqft condo comfortably.The rent for a average apartment in a average area with no amenities like gym,pool,etc,etc downtown rents for $900+ for a one bedroom,a decent condo for a one bedroom+den rents for $1200 but that includes everything,from underground parking,to security and of course excess to all the amenities of the condo.

Owning a condo is still a excellent long term investment,during these hard times people who can barely afford owning a home or condo unforunately might have to sell or downsize to a smaller more affordable place.That why the smaller units 600-800 sqft condos are highly desirable during a economical slow down.As mentioned 2 or even three people can live in a 1 bedroom+den 700sqft condo comfortably.The rent for a average apartment in a average area with no amenities like gym,pool,etc,etc downtown rents for $900+ for a one bedroom,a decent condo for a one bedroom+den rents for $1200 but that includes everything,from underground parking,to security and of course excess to all the amenities of the condo.

I'm not sure where you can get 1 bedroom for $900, 1 + 1 for $1200; however, that makes a strong argument for renting!

Much cheaper than buying 700 SF 1 bedroom + 1 with parking, which costs about $350K = at least $2300/m to carry for mortgage (with 20% deposit), maintenance fees, property taxes, etc .

I'm just curious, how do property management companies bill landlords for renting out their units? Specifically, how much is the RentalLifestyle's upfront and ongoing cost?

Thanks in advance

i'm not sure when condos have ever been a good investment.

i'm not sure when condos have ever been a good investment.

It depends on the location. If it's uptown, I can't see it being a good investment if there are houses for cheaper nearby. But if it's downtown. There is no choice but condo. If you want a good location, that's your only choice.

It depends on the location. If it's uptown, I can't see it being a good investment if there are houses for cheaper nearby. But if it's downtown. There is no choice but condo. If you want a good location, that's your only choice.

before you invest in a condo, i would recommend calculating the cap rate and ROI. then do the same thing with other real estate (commercial, multiunit) i think you'll find condos are a poor segment of the industry to get into.

condo "investors" usually look for capital appreciation, that's not the way to do business. this is a business about income.

before you invest in a condo, i would recommend calculating the cap rate and ROI. then do the same thing with other real estate (commercial, multiunit) i think you'll find condos are a poor segment of the industry to get into.

condo "investors" usually look for capital appreciation, that's not the way to do business. this is a business about income.

cabbagetowner, in a prosperous economy, everything goes up from stocks to RE and ANYONE makes money from buying the worst stock or the run down hell hole shack.

Suddenly, EVERYONE thinks they are a financial guru and forget about fundamentals that normally drive the market, whether it's for equities or RE.

I've been looking at rental properties and none of them make financial sense since the ROI is ridiculously low and rents don't come near to covering the mortgage, let alone any other expenses or unforseen costs/vacancies.

cabbagetowner, in a prosperous economy, everything goes up from stocks to RE and ANYONE makes money from buying the worst stock or the run down hell hole shack.

Suddenly, EVERYONE thinks they are a financial guru and forget about fundamentals that normally drive the market, whether it's for equities or RE.

I've been looking at rental properties and none of them make financial sense since the ROI is ridiculously low and rents don't come near to covering the mortgage, let alone any other expenses or unforseen costs/vacancies.

i'm not saying that real estate is a good investment right now. i'm saying condos are not a good investment ever. condos are maybe nice to live in but not a way to get rich.

i'm not saying that real estate is a good investment right now. i'm saying condos are not a good investment ever. condos are maybe nice to live in but not a way to get rich.

I'm agreeing with you.

What has happened in the past decade has let some to think they are the next Warren Buffet or Donald Trump. But those who have made it rich still look at fundamentals.

From the RE listings I have seen from houses to condos, most do not make financial sense as investments because the POSITIVE cash flow is not there.

well, if condo is a bad investment, I don't see how houses are any better as an investment. Houses downtown are so old and some are probably very worn. 40-60+ yrs old or more and cost 3/4 of a million or more. I've been looking at houses and new houses can't be found in the GTA. Only in the 905 and they aren't that cheap either unless it's really far like Malton, Aurora, Pickering, etc

well, if condo is a bad investment, I don't see how houses are any better as an investment. Houses downtown are so old and some are probably very worn. 40-60+ yrs old or more and cost 3/4 of a million or more. I've been looking at houses and new houses can't be found in the GTA. Only in the 905 and they aren't that cheap either unless it's really far like Malton, Aurora, Pickering, etc

multi units res should be the best performing sector for the next couple of years. wait until the numbers make sense again. buy and hold. as my pappy says it's the get rich (painfully) slow way.

If condos are a nice place to live in, then there should be demand (in a neutral market), meaning there's always support, meaning price still go up in the long-term. Plus I don't think anyone buys anything to get "rich". For the average investor in anything (equity markets, RE, etc.), does anyone really buy to get rich? They're just looking to make a profit. Alternatively speaking, can you name investment that can get you "rich"?

Houses downtown are so old and some are probably very worn. 40-60+ yrs old or more and cost 3/4 of a million or more.
My Cabbagetown three-floor semi (5 small bedrooms, 3 bath, 5 floors, 42 steps, parking, sigh) was built in 1916, so 92 years ago, and I'd say older houses stand up really well. We've got two layers of brick, field stone foundation, hugely thick timbers for joists (we had the ceiling down this year for a reno and upon seeing those joists I swear you could have parked a bus on my roof). Older homes are better, as they took their time building them. As for cost, we bought the place for under $300K in 1998, and it's probably worth $600K now. For a great house downtown, it's much less than the 3/4 million or more you're expecting.

What I wouldn't ever buy is a house built in the 1980s since this is about the time that the short cuts and poor quality material from the builders start to show themselves.

Back