News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 465     0 

888 Yonge (Masonic Temple, potential redevelopment)

888 Yonge Street_Page_2.jpg
888 Yonge Street_Page_3.jpg
888 Yonge Street_Page_4.jpg
888 Yonge Street_Page_5.jpg
888 Yonge Street_Page_6.jpg
888 Yonge Street_Page_7.jpg
Here's the DTZ marketing brochure.
888 Yonge Street_Page_1.jpg

Attachments

• 888 Yonge Street_Page_1.jpg
    888 Yonge Street_Page_1.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 1,288
  • 888 Yonge Street_Page_2.jpg
    888 Yonge Street_Page_2.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,149
  • 888 Yonge Street_Page_3.jpg
    888 Yonge Street_Page_3.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 1,162
  • 888 Yonge Street_Page_4.jpg
    888 Yonge Street_Page_4.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 1,111
  • 888 Yonge Street_Page_5.jpg
    888 Yonge Street_Page_5.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 976
  • 888 Yonge Street_Page_6.jpg
    888 Yonge Street_Page_6.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 1,403
  • 888 Yonge Street_Page_7.jpg
    888 Yonge Street_Page_7.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 1,012
Last edited:
Makes no mention of redevelopment possibilities.

Wonder if modifications could be made to the Davenport frontage to make the ground floor suitable for retail. The entrance off Yonge is grand and all but probably not ideal for retail.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...k_for_ways_to_reclaim_the_masonic_temple.html

Toronto Masons look for ways to reclaim the Masonic Temple

Bell Media said it will work with the Masons to connect them to the new owner of the building, which was last occupied by MTV Canada.

By: Rachel Mendleson News reporter, Published on Wed Mar 20 2013

But nearly 20 years after they moved their elaborate rites and rituals to other meeting halls, Toronto-area Masons want to find a way to reclaim their temple, which is once again for sale.

As Leonard Feldt, past district deputy grand master for Toronto Don Valley, explains, something sacred emanates from the imposing limestone and brick structure at the corner of Yonge St. and Davenport Rd.

According to Feldt, the Masons, who lost the property in the mid-’90s due to unpaid property taxes, are not currently planning to throw their hat in the ring.

However, he is exploring other paths to resurrecting the temple as a Masonic meeting place for some of the 14,000 members in Toronto and York Region.

Ideally, the Masons are seeking a trade: They will lend their expertise in redeveloping the facility to meet the heritage rules in exchange for use of the upper-floor meeting rooms.

Redeveloping the building would be a difficult proposition, thanks to stringent height restrictions and a tighter-than-average heritage designation, which protects the Masonic millwork and emblems inside.

Bell Media spokesman Scott Henderson said the company would be “happy to work with the Masons to put them in touch with any new owner.”

http://www.blogto.com/city/2013/06/masonic_temple_to_get_facelift_avoids_condo-ification/

Maybe it was too much of a long shot, but I doubt many of you will be surprised to learn this morning that the Masonic Temple at Yonge and Davenport will not be reprising its role as a live music venue. Well, not full time anyway.

London, Ont.-based IT company Info-Tech Research Group have bought the building for $12.5 million and plan to convert the storied venue in to a new location for its Toronto satellite office, currently located on Front Street East.

"We're making some alterations to the building to accommodate our consulting and research usage," says Joel McLean, the company's president and CEO. "We're really trying to preserve the historical elements, for sure."

Absolutely thrilled, until I read the article and tempered my excitement slightly...

In a press release the company promised to "maintain the integrity and spirit" of the Masonic Temple by moving in its 300 staff.

300 staff in a modest three-storey building? Coupled with the vague line "maintain the integrity and spirit" makes me think they're going to slap a clunky glass addition on top.

Maybe I'm being too skeptical, but I'm not sure we're out of the woods yet with this.

Edit: Apparently 6-storeys not 3, but I think my concern stands as a lot of the first and second are unsuitable for office use.

Last edited:
I don't think you need to be too worried:

Info-Tech President and CEO Joel McLean said the Toronto and London, Ont.-based company was drawn to the history of the property, which was built in 1918 to house the Masons, a semisecret fraternal sect whose millwork adorns the upper-floor meeting rooms.

“We’re not planning on gutting any floors or doing anything really traumatic,” said McLean. “The building itself is really good for our intended use.”

The main auditorium, where Led Zeppelin and David Bowie once performed, will be converted into office space for the company’s core research group of analysts and consultants.

However, once a year, the desks will be cleared out to make way for a black-tie charity rock concert.

“We’ve got an amazing, legendary concert hall, so it makes sense to try and leverage that,” McLean said.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...nto_masonic_temple_to_it_consulting_firm.html

Anyone remember those raves they used to throw here? Great parties....:D

Hah! Pup!

I remember seeing groups like Crazy Horse and The Mothers of Invention and a few other greats.

Ahh. Good times. ..what I can remember...

Masonic Temple 888 Yonge St. - conversion from entertainment venue to commercial HQ

I just found an existing thread for this so maybe mods can merge.

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M4W 2J2

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 13 237054 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Sep 17, 2013

Project: Office Interior Demolition

Description: Proposal for interior demolition to all 6 floors of existing office building. (693m2)

Last edited:

Back