News   Jul 15, 2024
 78     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 309     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.8K     1 

888 Yonge (Masonic Temple, potential redevelopment)

I can definately see someone like House of Blues taking over the space. They can repurpose the upper rooms into their signature Foundation Room bar/restaurant. Keep the 1,200 seat venue for booking unique acts, etc.

A couple of years ago House of Blues was actively looking for a space in Toronto. You might have something here! This might be a perfect location for them!!

A couple of years ago House of Blues was actively looking for a space in Toronto. You might have something here! This might be a perfect location for them!!

I know. They floated a site in the Distillery District. I beleive the Masonic Temple to be right up their alley, and they could move in without having to do a lot of work on the building. Regardless, this is a fantastic concert venue and should remain as such.

http://www.blogto.com/city/2013/03/the_masonic_temple_creeps_closer_to_condofication/

The Masonic Temple creeps closer to condofication

Posted by Chris Bateman / MARCH 13, 2013

The company revealed in November that MTV was moving out of the 96-year-old building to a new home at 299 Queen West. At the time, VP of Communications Scott Henderson said the music channel's parent company was "evaluating the property and determining the best use for it." Now it seems the Temple, a former meeting hall and music venue, is surplus to its needs.

Several of the building's features are protected by heritage agreements so if it were sold to developers any new construction would have to retain large portions of the existing structure. If it's possible to glean anything from the listing, it seems the building is being steered towards residential use.

"It is an open bidding process with no list price (i.e. it's "unlisted")," Henderson said in an email this morning. "There has been great interest in the property. It is a confidential bidding process so we are not at liberty to discuss exactly who."

"Any potential buyer would need to respect the applicable municipal or zoning by-laws. We are advising potential owners to consult with the City at an early stage in formulating proposals for future use of the property. Ultimately, we anticipate that the Masonic Temple will retain the elements that led to its designation in the first place."

I still don't get how anything can be built here given the tight constraints of the site. I'm also discouraged that in a city this large mid sized entertainment venues can't make a go of it, this being the perfect site just two blocks from the city's main intersection.

I still don't get how anything can be built here given the tight constraints of the site. I'm also discouraged that in a city this large mid sized entertainment venues can't make a go of it, this being the perfect site just two blocks from the city's main intersection.

I share the sentiment with you dt. The situation has me more than a little frustrated. Walking by Masonic yesterday, I was thinking how good it would be if it were just left as-is, and repurposed by some other concern that needs a midsize venue.

Whomever buys this with hopes of residential redevelopment is under-estimating the difficulties they run up against. The constraints of the site are obvious but I also think there would be a pretty substantial backlash from the general populace once word got to the newspapers.

Whomever buys this with hopes of residential redevelopment is under-estimating the difficulties they run up against. The constraints of the site are obvious but I also think there would be a pretty substantial backlash from the general populace once word got to the newspapers.

So considering that you cant do much to this site, except retail/commercial and maybe a glass addition to the top floor
Id say, it would have to be someone with deep pockets to purchase this.

So considering that you cant do much to this site, except retail/commercial and maybe a glass addition to the top floor
Id say, it would have to be someone with deep pockets to purchase this.

yup. or said another way the price should be commensurate to the potential of the site (ie: price will be not so high).

HOUSE OF BLUES.....all day long at this site. I can't think of another suitable use.
There's always a chance we'll see a LCBO here.

I could imagine a boutique hotel with a large restaurant, but yeah, not much else besides what you mentioned.

I could imagine a boutique hotel with a large restaurant, but yeah, not much else besides what you mentioned.

Yes & yes to your suggestions....maybe something like Fogo de Chao, PF Chang's.

Has anyone seen the DTZ listing/brochure, or is it too early still?

Back