News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.4K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 577     1 

77 King Street (TD Centre) Revitalization

When the going gets tough ... you can count on OCADU!

I think I'll complain about the drip edge. I don't recall that change to Mies's design ever coming before a committee, do you?

Interesting:cool:

Toronto’s aging bank towers go green

TD Centre hopes to win LEED certification on all six of its buildings by 2013, says David Hoffman, general manager of the buildings for landlord Cadillac-Fairview.

That’s meant about $110 million in major work just on the Mies van der Rohe-designed 77 King St. W. building where 45-year-old windows were replaced at a rate of about three or four floors per night.

“The work we’ve undertaken at 77 King is the most complicated and sophisticated work that the TD Centre has ever seen,†says Hoffman. “We’re doing it so that TD Centre can retain its position as the pre-eminent, first-class office tower in Toronto.â€

The new windows have not only helped better regulate office temperatures, they’ve cut energy costs and increased TD’s ability to compete for tenants who are increasingly looking for landlords that do more than just talk about sustainability in vague mission statements

Hoffman is looking forward to spring when the TD Tower will boast an entirely new kind of green, meant to capture heat, cut cooling costs, act as a sound insulator and reduce storm water runoff.

That’s when an almost 22,000-square-foot “living roof†of Creek Sedge Grass will be planted for the first time atop the two-storey TD Bank Pavillon
More.....http://www.thestar.com/business/article/1111080--toronto-s-aging-bank-towers-go-green

Here are some videos about the revitalization.

[video=youtube;JLbeFBj95Yg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLbeFBj95Yg&list=UUgn_AtVJ3WLwS7oLEWKwQxQ&index=4&feature=plcp[/video]

[video=youtube;py0sbAnyWkE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py0sbAnyWkE&list=UUgn_AtVJ3WLwS7oLEWKwQxQ&index=3&feature=plcp[/video]

[video=youtube;v-Qw9XMIhYE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-Qw9XMIhYE&list=UUgn_AtVJ3WLwS7oLEWKwQxQ&index=1&feature=plcp[/video]

Still shot from a timelapse im working on. from monday:
D2qii.jpg

Really happy about this retrofit. I think that green roof atop the retail bank branch will be great. I'm not sure if this was addressed earlier in the thread, but what is going on with that LCD video screen that they are adding to the complex? Where exactly is it going? I really do not want to see giant LCD-lit TD logo at the top of any of the TD towers, that would be a slap in the face to this incredible architectute.
In my opinion these are still the best looking skyscrapers in the core.

Really happy about this retrofit. I think that green roof atop the retail bank branch will be great. I'm not sure if this was addressed earlier in the thread, but what is going on with that LCD video screen that they are adding to the complex? Where exactly is it going? I really do not want to see giant LCD-lit TD logo at the top of any of the TD towers, that would be a slap in the face to this incredible architectute.
In my opinion these are still the best looking skyscrapers in the core.

Psst. LED.

I work in 77 King Street (not saying where, sssh). Not sure how the electric fit out differs from other buildings in the complex, maybe some kind of fancy LEED gear or whatever, but let's just say we've popped several breakers here whereas I struggle to recall even one going in seven years working in another TDC building, despite arguably heavier power. Other than that it's nice enough, apart from the terrible cellphone reception which is more Bell and Rogers' fault - we've provisioned our wifi network to talk to our Blackberrys so people at least get email when their device SOSes out.

Visited the plaza level on the weekend and noticed they have planted some Ginkgo trees among the honey locust. Not impressed.

I dont mind Gingko trees, but they shouldnt be in this plaza - The architectural shape, dark bark, bright leaves and dappled sunlight effect produced by honey locust really contribute to the feel of the space. The plaza was designed with limited and specific elements - those Ginkgos gotta go!

Back