News   Jul 26, 2024
 845     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.2K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.9K     3 

651 Queen West Restoration (formerly Big Bop)

Last edited:
I like that they hung the Big Bop sign inside the restored interior. It's a nice touch, and about the only thing worth remembering about the old Bop. Well, other than memories of shows I guess, but I never liked the place.

I like that they hung the Big Bop sign inside the restored interior. It's a nice touch, and about the only thing worth remembering about the old Bop. Well, other than memories of shows I guess, but I never liked the place.

That made me really happy to see as well.

bigbop1.jpg

bigbop2.jpg

Shame the mansard roof is not being restored. That's just sad. What a grand building it was. Yes, what they've done thus far is doubtless a huge improvement. But they also missed an opportunity to reconnect the city with solid, elegant part of its own heritage.

When you say "they" to whom are you referring the city or CB2? Nixing the mansard roof was due to new city codes.

I'd rather have just seen a gorgeous modern 10s infill residential building here.

Semantic question: could something still be called "infill" when it would require knocking down a perfectly useful heritage structure to build it? I always thought infill meant structures that plugged existing gaps in the urban fabric.

Back