News   Jul 26, 2024
 864     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.3K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2K     3 

651 Queen West Restoration (formerly Big Bop)

I'm being semi-serious re: condo here. CB2 won't last forever, and having lived near here and hung out around this intersection for the past 20 years I know that huge changes are always a constant in this city. So yes, by 2033, this could be another residential site. I mean look at the height of its neighbour....

I have mixed feelings, my architecture/heritage loving side loves what they've done with this, as I had no idea what it used to look like. However my band played one of our first shows at the Reverb back when it was the purple building so it seems like a bit of my past gone. :(

I'm going to the pre-opening party on Friday to check it out. I love CB2 which I'm sure will be around for a while. Bought the best floor lamp from them last year. It looks bigger than the San Fran store. I wonder what the Vancouver store will look like next month.

I have mixed feelings, my architecture/heritage loving side loves what they've done with this, as I had no idea what it used to look like. However my band played one of our first shows at the Reverb back when it was the purple building so it seems like a bit of my past gone. :(

This building's colourful history as one of Toronto's legendary punk venues adds a layer of interest to the revived buildings history, but I will never miss seeing that purple monster. The only way that building could have been any uglier is if pizza pizza had set up shop in there.

Seeing it restored (sadly still missing the original 3rd storey mansard and tower), is a revelation and will hopefully serve as an example to other heritage property owners in this city.

Last edited:
Happy the purple monster is gone, in spite of some good memories I keep of its interior.

When I saw it was gone I assumed the building would follow suit. Pleasantly surprised to see it restored.

I played many a show there in my early teens, but nothing will be like the last one I played one month before it's closing on December 20th, 2009. The crowd just seemed a little more lively that night, perhaps because they knew it was a month away from closing.

Hopefully I can get down there in the next two weeks to see the restoration.

Back