News   Jul 26, 2024
 845     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.2K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.9K     3 

651 Queen West Restoration (formerly Big Bop)

androiduk

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm not sure if ther's a thread for this but there should be. It's a pretty major restoration at a high profile intersection. I believe CB2 (Crate & Barrel) is the future tenant. The first 2 pics are from the City News site.

Capturebb1.JPG

Capturebb2.JPG

bigbopn16.jpg

Looking forward to this as well. Though was completely beside myself when I read that the City didn't permit the construction of the originally designed/built mansard roof. Totally ridiculous.

Looking forward to this as well. Though was completely beside myself when I read that the City didn't permit the construction of the originally designed/built mansard roof. Totally ridiculous.

Do you have any reason why that wasn't permitted? The building needs the mansard roof for true restoration and grandeur. Otherwise, the architecture is a problematic representation of our heritage because it's a simplification.

If I recall correctly, some similar (ridiculous) regulations are preventing the resurrection of the original roof at the Gladstone as well. Zeidler's daughter actually expressed interest in rebuilding the old roof, but hasn't been allowed thus far.

Sometimes the ham-fisted bylaws in this city are absolutely infuriating. Though, did the people behind this reno even want to restore the old mansard? Something inside me says that bottom-line motives were provided a sigh of relief in knowing that the most financially significant piece of the reno couldn't be achieved.

If I recall correctly, some similar (ridiculous) regulations are preventing the resurrection of the original roof at the Gladstone as well. Zeidler's daughter actually expressed interest in rebuilding the old roof, but hasn't been allowed thus far.

Sometimes the ham-fisted bylaws in this city are absolutely infuriating. Though, did the people behind this reno even want to restore the old mansard? Something inside me says that bottom-line motives were provided a sigh of relief in knowing that the most financially significant piece of the reno couldn't be achieved.

These regulations don't make sense. Our grand Victorians deserve to be fully restored. The mansard roof could have been restored at this valuable downtown property.

A cell phone shot of the recently revealed facade from tonight.

Attachments

• cb2.jpg
    cb2.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 527
Wow huge improvement! Perhaps one day though it'll make a great base for 10-15s condo?

That would be a banal outcome. Queen Street is a mostly low-rise street. It retains its historic character for that reason, which is relatively rare in Toronto. At the same time, the heritage buildings are home to many of the most contemporary and fashionable establishments, proving that heritage preservation doesn't mean places becoming museums. They should do a complete restoration of at least the exterior of this building eventually.

Last edited:
It's perfectly fine the way it is.

Welcome to UT Gord :D you must have been as enraged by urbandreamer's comment as me to make this your first post. And as for you urbandreamer, i genuinely hope that was sarcasm.

Back