News   Jul 05, 2024
 551     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 914     11 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 457     0 

650 Bay St Boutique Hotel Redevelopment (Lanterra, ?s, ?)

I have to admit, in the photo, the painted brick looks really good! LOL.

I'm surprised nobody on here has made any quips about the building burning down during Nuit Blanche, given the flame-throwing exhibit on the parking lot next door!

I am happy they are not tiling the entire building in that cheap Home Depot slate.
The faux brick paint looks really cheap and cartoonish, but much better than the tile. The base coat which is supposed to resemble mortar is too white and not natural looking.
I hope they remove the slate tile disaster on the lower floor and faux paint that too.

I'm surprised nobody on here has made any quips about the building burning down during Nuit Blanche, given the flame-throwing exhibit on the parking lot next door!

We were there for "The Heart Machine" installation and that exact thought crossed my mind as we approached from the south!

650brick1.jpg

650brick2.jpg

^ ^ ^

haven't been there so don't know what it looks like up close, but surprisingly it doesn't look that bad from the pics

Har! Bricks painted on bricks! I don't think downtown Toronto architecture gets much more 'impure' than this. Maybe we're at a tipping point: for every Aa glassine machine that goes up, it will produce an equal and opposite reaction.
On Bay Street...who woulda thought?

For some reason, it reminds me of Aunt Ida from John Waters' Female Trouble:
auntidafemaletrouble.jpg

I can't wait to see the marketing campaign.

Last edited:
I am happy they are not tiling the entire building in that cheap Home Depot slate.
The faux brick paint looks really cheap and cartoonish, but much better than the tile. The base coat which is supposed to resemble mortar is too white and not natural looking.
I hope they remove the slate tile disaster on the lower floor and faux paint that too.

Unfortunately, the tiling work has resumed.

Well, it turns out a bit better than the original bright red basecoat, and the building doesn't look like as much of a wreck - but the tiling still shocks, and I'd rather not look forward to the day when the paint peels.

re: tiling - looks like they're applying them right to the brick - wouldn't that translate into restoration issues later on if/when they decide to remove them?

AoD

The bricks are probably falling apart - hence the weird paint job. I have a feeling that this gussying up is only expected to last a few years before the building is taken down - or is sold for a profit. This ain't a long term reno.

It seemed to have started when they tried to get rid of the paint on the building- hence the reason they stopped.

Back