News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.1K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 798     0 

44th Canadian Federal Election

Since the Canadian federal government requires all civil servants to be fully vaccinated, I'm assuming that includes poll workers. Better have your vaccination receipts when you apply. At the moment, its...

From link. But subject to change.

Next question.

What happens if there is a case or outbreak of covid-19 at a polling station on the day of the election? Do they close the polling station or pretend it never happened to avoid confusion?

If it's just Ontario sure. If its Canada wide (which it looks like it will be) that's a bad look for Trudeau

Remember what most of the provinces with high case loads have in common. They have conservative premiers!

Also, Ontario makes up a ton of votes and seats. That would help the PM when people eventually blame Ford.

Remember what most of the provinces with high case loads have in common. They have conservative premiers!

Also, Ontario makes up a ton of votes and seats. That would help the PM when people eventually blame Ford.
BC is NDP quebec is bloc. The cases are where the people are. That's the correlation imo not the political party of the premiers. There simply aren't a lot of people living out east or up north

Quebec is governed by the CAQ and they are basically centre-right by provincial standards.
I could see it going either way. Again I think the correlation is clearly population not premier. If trudeau can successfully swing the blame to the provinces it definitely could benefit him, but if people instead see it as irresponsible for him to call an election with cases rising, then it could hurt him. Only time will tell.

Next question.

What happens if there is a case or outbreak of covid-19 at a polling station on the day of the election? Do they close the polling station or pretend it never happened to avoid confusion?
Many provinces have held elections during COVID. I think we know how to do it reasonably safely. We should have extended advance polling to avoid crowding on election day.

Conservative Platform is out, I'll give it a read through shortly and post key points.

But there's one thing I can post now...........

1629135534586.png

Not so sure about the cover choice here.........

Ok, so I skimmed the over 160 page Conservative platform..........just like the NDP one it would really benefit from a deft edit!

Here's what I pulled out:

- 6% annual increase in Canada Health Transfer every year for the next decade, very few strings.
- new naval base at Churchill, Manitoba
- Just like the NDP (identical promise) extend EI sickness/disability benefit from 15 weeks to 52.
- Spin Radio-Canada off from the CBC (it would get its own board)
- EI benefits to spike in an province experiencing a recession (0.5% spike in unemployment) to 75% income replacement and revert to 55% as soon as that province has 3 months of job growth in a row.

Interesting moves to counter 'social conservatism reputation'

- Eliminate ban on gay men donating blood (though, the platform manages to promise this w/o referring to gay men at all) .
- Proceed with ban on conversion therapy (while noting the Libs have yet to implement the ban)
- Big reach out to Unions, by proposing to mandate any Federally regulated employer with 1,000 or more employees must give 'Labour' a seat on their Board of Directors
- There is something resembling a Climate Change Plan not so different from the Libs, if more pro-LNG and with carbon-price targets linked to international trading partners.

Seriously questionable ideas section:

- Answer to poverty among seniors is to allow them to earn up to 12k per year w/o penalty. (ahh, the joys of retirement!)
- A 1 month GST holiday this fall to spur the economy on.....(nope, just adds to the deficit, w/the possible exception of purchases of polluting SUVs/Trucks and Homes. )
- A section titled 'Ending the Mistreatment of Western Canada' (oh will that every play well everywhere else.......way to foster national unity!)
- Tackle over-priced groceries by increasing the maximum fine for price-fixing from 24M to 100M. (Really?.....going to change exactly nothing)
- 'Increase' Parental leave benefit by allowing a parent on leave to earn 1k per month, w/o penalty. (uhh, enhancing leave by working while not working???)

Link:

Ok, so I skimmed the over 160 page Conservative platform..........just like the NDP one it would really benefit from a deft edit!

Here's what I pulled out:

- 6% annual increase in Canada Health Transfer every year for the next decade, very few strings.
- new naval base at Churchill, Manitoba
- Just like the NDP (identical promise) extend EI sickness/disability benefit from 15 weeks to 52.
- Spin Radio-Canada off from the CBC (it would get its own board)
- EI benefits to spike in an province experiencing a recession (0.5% spike in unemployment) to 75% income replacement and revert to 55% as soon as that province has 3 months of job growth in a row.

Interesting moves to counter 'social conservatism reputation'

- Eliminate ban on gay men donating blood (though, the platform manages to promise this w/o referring to gay men at all) .
- Proceed with ban on conversion therapy (while noting the Libs have yet to implement the ban)
- Big reach out to Unions, by proposing to mandate any Federally regulated employer with 1,000 or more employees must give 'Labour' a seat on their Board of Directors
- There is something resembling a Climate Change Plan not so different from the Libs, if more pro-LNG and with carbon-price targets linked to international trading partners.

Seriously questionable ideas section:

- Answer to poverty among seniors is to allow them to earn up to 12k per year w/o penalty. (ahh, the joys of retirement!)
- A 1 month GST holiday this fall to spur the economy on.....(nope, just adds to the deficit, w/the possible exception of purchases of polluting SUVs/Trucks and Homes. )
- A section titled 'Ending the Mistreatment of Western Canada' (oh will that every play well everywhere else.......way to foster national unity!)
- Tackle over-priced groceries by increasing the maximum fine for price-fixing from 24M to 100M. (Really?.....going to change exactly nothing)
- 'Increase' Parental leave benefit by allowing a parent on leave to earn 1k per month, w/o penalty. (uhh, enhancing leave by working while not working???)

Link:

Overall it's not nearly as bad I was expecting. It's an actual platform which is awesome. No one will give it any thought regardless though so what's even the point.

The liberals are going to win the election regardless. As someone who's set to vote for the first time this year I hardly see the point.

Overall it's not nearly as bad I was expecting. It's an actual platform which is awesome. No one will give it any thought regardless though so what's even the point.

The liberals are going to win the election regardless. As someone who's set to vote for the first time this year I hardly see the point.

Whether the Liberals get a minority/majority is certainly in play; that could make a difference if nothing else.

I hasten to add, while other outcomes are far less likely; people who choose not to be bothered voting, might well make a less likely outcome possible, for better or worse.

We don't yet have the Liberal Platform, beyond their record and the fairly long list of things they have not delivered from their platform of 3 years ago.

If I were to look at the Conservative Platform through prism of influencing the outcome of the election I don't see any big winners; there's lot of small or niche things; the province's would love the change in health transfer, but
w/that not being tied to performance-based change (lower wait times, more hospital beds, more things covered etc.) I don't perceive it to be a vote mover. That's a problem in that its probably their most expensive promise.

I think they have one potential vote loser, which is Childcare. The wording is murkey, but it certainly sounds like they propose to renege on the new money to the provinces; regardless their big idea is more tax credits which I don't see
as a huge vote mover.

Back