News   Jun 25, 2024
 436     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 584     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.1K     3 

407 Rail Freight Bypass/The Missing Link

The feasibility study for the Missing Link has shown that the capital costs (vs. upgrades on Kitchener and Milton lines without it) are comparable. There are added benefits that were not monetized, including decreased operating mileage for CN, reduced GO delays, decreased noise levels and derailment risk for adjacent neighbourhoods, and an overall improvement of the transit network in Peel and Halton regions.
And the carbon cost -- less diesel running. Electric trains on Milton AND less work for diesel freight trains. I am not sure how to monetize this. But this should to be factored in too, in a probable future of a carbon premium (whther you hate it or love it).

MD: What I can state at this time is that pending a decision on this project, many of the other "multi tracking" projects should be put on a hold, albeit that can only be for so long. God knows a lot of these projects are already generations late, let alone months.

Nonetheless, if proceeded upon, this project would radically change the nature of almost all the others. The Feds are probably the ones holding the biggest bag on this, unless they wish to do an MOU with the province to fund X Dollars for a project the province oversees. That would be unwise, as the Feds have vastly more power to legally compel actions from CN and CP.

It's long past due time for the province(s), TC and the Fed TransMin to form a joint cmte to at least weigh which proposal has the most merit. Answers are needed soon, even if not definitive, as rushing the process would only create problems, but *direction* is sadly missing on this and other rail projects. Perhaps it is happening behind closed doors, one would hope...but we see little indication of that.

There would be more NIMBY with increased trains on some connecting treight tracks beyond (many bones can be thrown to improve support, more taller and better noisewalls, trenchwalls, etc) but, what of a Brampton+Milton active width doubling, more expropriation, and massive traffic increase combined? So it seems a pick-a-NIMBY battle...

One potential way to decrease the NIMBY battle on this is to build it to accommodate GO on all or part of the western segment of the line, going west from near Bramalea. This would in effect offer a 4th E-W GO line through Peel Region, effectively filling in the large gap between the Milton line and the Kitchener line. A terminus at the Hurontario LRT would be useful.

One potential way to decrease the NIMBY battle on this is to build it to accommodate GO on all or part of the western segment of the line, going west from near Bramalea. This would in effect offer a 4th E-W GO line through Peel Region, effectively filling in the large gap between the Milton line and the Kitchener line. A terminus at the Hurontario LRT would be useful.

So like, the northern section of GO-ALRT?

gotransit-2107-12.gif

I've moved this post from the GO Transit Service Thread to here, as it has very pertinent information to this string. I trust crs1026 (Paul) will agree:

I don't know whether the rearrangement of rail lines in Ottawa in the 1960's resulted in joint ownership of anything. There may have been an "Ottawa Terminals Division" but it would have been joint CP-CN ownership and not NCC owned. (I think..... I may well be wrong)
That *used* to be the case. The fiscal particulars are difficult to trace on this, but the NCC purchased vast swaths of land and expropriated large amounts of railway to 'clear' the centre of Ottawa of the 'congestion'. What they did with it is highly controversial, mostly created expressways it seems, but it appears that ownership of the expropriated and newly created rail lines and stations was transferred to the City of Ottawa, under the name of "Capital Railway"...a term that may remain on the books, but is not longer used in common lingo. Ironically, it did force CN and CP to share RoWs as a result. I'll detail more of what little I've found in the 'Missing Link' forum, but to buttress my point for the sub-string in this one, here's some of the history:
reddot.gif
2005, May 6 - City of Ottawa (Capital Railway) takes ownership of the following lines:
reddot.gif
Ellwood subdivision between mile 0.00 and mile 4.99 (Ottawa West)
reddot.gif
Prescott subdivision between mile 4.90 and mile 4.99 (Greenboro)
reddot.gif
Prescott subdivision between mile 4.99 and 8.17 (Leitrim Road). This is excepted track for possible future expansion.
reddot.gif
Ellwood subdivision between mile 4.99 and the Lachute sub. mile 119.12 (including the Prince of Wales bridge) NB. this is not shown in the three year plan.
reddot.gif
Walkley Line between the junction with the Ellwood subdivision and Albion Road
reddot.gif
On this date the City leased the line east of Albion Road to the Walkley Repair Facility.
reddot.gif
2006, January 24 - City of Ottawa (Capital Rail) takes ownership of the Prescott subdivision between mile 8.17 and mile 25.42 (Highway 416). This is excepted track for possible future expansion.
http://www.railways.incanada.net/candate/ottawa.htm

Some more history here, but still not what I'm looking for:
http://www.railways.incanada.net/circle/subdivision ownership.html
it's just 180 degrees in approach from the prevailing transportation policy in Ottawa.
Agreed...I suspect they may have to be creative in structuring this, but this is being done in many US cities by Federal diktat, albeit they have a much tighter Railroad Act and a stronger hand in financing under the FRA and other agencies.

I'll keep researching this, and post a link here to a post in the "Missing Link" forum. Any other readers have some search tags that I'm missing on this?

Quick Edit to Add: Note that the precedent is now held by "the City"...perhaps that's the legal framework to doing this:
The communities of Mississauga, Toronto, Cambridge, and Milton have joined together to develop a business case to build a so called “Western By-Pass” to divert freight traffic from the Canadian Pacific “Milton” rail line north, to free up the line for commuter rail traffic.
[...]
With Mississauga taking the lead, it is our hope the business case will be finalized in mid-August.

The purpose of this new line would be to relocate heavy freight rail away from the Milton and Kitchener GO lines in order to allow for 2-way, all-day GO Train service on both of these lines. Another benefit would be that heavy freight would be relocated away from the most densely populated areas of the GTA, including central Mississauga.

This truly is the “Missing Link” that will create a regionally-integrated rapid transit network in the Western GTA.

Improving rail transit in the western GTA would provide long-lasting benefits for our city. It would stimulate economic growth by attracting new talent, businesses, employers and students to the city while increasing innovation, growth opportunities and prosperity.

We share the same vision as our municipal partners to bring about convenient and effective transit solutions to move people across the GTA and beyond.[...] Once the business case is completed, we will continue conversations with the government and the other federal parties about the proposal. It is our hope that the federal government will be a partner in this project to help make it a reality.
http://www.mayorcrombie.ca/the-missing-link/

The Province and the Feds, as they do with port-lands and airports, could then be part of the consortium to *legally facilitate and finance* this? That's pretty compelling language from Mississauga, which is what now, the fourth largest city in Canada? Credit to them for being, at least in this case, so progressive and dynamic. The only stick in the mud appears to be York Region.

Late Edit to Add:
From the Transportation Act:
[...]
Running Rights and Joint Track Usage
Marginal note: Application may be granted

• (2) The Agency may grant the right and may make any order and impose any conditions on either railway company respecting the exercise or restriction of the rights as appear just or desirable to the Agency, having regard to the public interest.

[...]
Marginal note:Request for joint or common use of right-of-way

• 139 (1) The Governor in Council may
      • (a) on the application of a railway company, a municipal government or any other interested person, or on the Governor in Council’s own initiative, and

• (b) after any investigation that the Governor in Council considers necessary,
      request two or more railway companies to consider the joint or common use of a right-of-way if the Governor in Council is of the opinion that its joint or common use may improve the efficiency and effectiveness of rail transport and would not unduly impair the commercial interests of the companies.
    • Marginal note:Order in Council for joint or common use of right-of-way
      (2) If the Governor in Council is satisfied that significant efficiencies and cost savings would result from joint or common use of the right-of-way by two or more railway companies and would not unduly impair the commercial interests of the companies, the Governor in Council may make any order for the joint or common use of the right-of-way that the Governor in Council considers necessary.
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-10.4/FullText.html

It appears the Minister has the power to order CN and CP, and whomever else might be involved (it might behoove Metrolinx and VIA well to be party to negotiations) to use the 'Missing Link'...the result of which would be that market forces would dictate cascading the former main freight routes through the GTA to the Feds or the Province (read Metrolinx). (That order is mandated in the Act, but the Feds would be only too happy for the Province to take ownership)

I think Capital Railways is just the portions owned by the City of Ottawa for running the O-Train.
A lot of the literature agrees with your point:
reddot.gif
2001, April 12 - The Capital Railway comes into existence. Owned by the City of Ottawa, it leases the CPR Ellwood subdivision and the North Prescott spur, 8.17 miles as well as part of Walkley Yard.
This is from the same link I posted earlier:
reddot.gif
2005, May 6 - City of Ottawa (Capital Rail) takes ownership of the following lines:
reddot.gif
Ellwood subdivision between mile 0.00 and mile 4.99 (Ottawa West)
reddot.gif
Prescott subdivision between mile 4.90 and mile 4.99 (Greenboro)
reddot.gif
Prescott subdivision between mile 4.99 and 8.17 (Leitrim Road). This is excepted track for possible future expansion.
reddot.gif
Walkley Line between the junction with the Ellwood subdivision and Albion Road
reddot.gif
On this date the City leased the line east of Albion Road to the Walkley Repair Facility.
reddot.gif
2006, January 24 - City of Ottawa (Capital Rail) takes ownership of the Prescott subdivision between mile 7.17 and mile 25.42 (Highway 416). This is excepted track for possible future expansion.
http://www.railways.incanada.net/candate/street.htm

But there's missing information about the NCC transferring ownership of the Walkley Yards to Capital Railway, the latter, btw, being formed as a requirement of TC for OCTranspo to operate over the CP rail line (Heavy Rail) and over the bridge to Quebec. TC was setting precedent by allowing mixed 'light and heavy rail' on the same line, albeit temporally separated.

Here's a map clearly showing the NCC lines in Ottawa:
Click here to download the Ontario Railway Map Collection

Release Mark: Alpha 14

Last updated: 10th May 2016

The NCC trackage is extensive and marked in light blue on that map (you need an app like Google Earth to support rendition of this map) with this note pointing to the trackage:
National Capital Commission

Main line from the Canadian National Railway through Walkley yard and east then north to industrial service track.
But there's also reference on that map to this note: (as well as many others)
National Capital Commission

Canadian pacific Railway Walkley yard wye. Present in 1991.
It raises many questions, one being if the NCC owned the RoW, but leased overhead rights to other operators? Or was the trackage owned by other railways as a landlease on land owned by the NCC? I'm still digging on this, and coming up empty. I might contact one of the members from Ottawa that is responsible for producing the map. It's a fascinating story, no matter what the details are.

In the event, I was using this as a precedent as to how various levels of government could build the Missing Link and then, at least in the interim, lease running rights over it with an eye to outright sale later. There appears to be a large amount of interest in exploring that option from Mississauga in cahoots with the other municipalities named prior, the Province, and ostensibly the Feds, the latter being a likely candidate to at least seed the project financially. The powers to doing it are clearly delineated in the Transportation Act I quoted earlier.

This would be a massive project, there's no denying that, but of the kind that should also attract private capital, e.g. the pension funds. It is a classic example of where a Public-Private consortium, with the power of the Federal Legislation already on the books to mandate it's creation, and also (possibly with a court challenge, but also possibly highly-welcomed by CN/CP) the eventual exchange of the almost redundant freight track through the GTA as a like-for-like exchange, with provisos of course for temporal freight operations.

Even though it would be a massive project, it would actually *pay for itself*...easily...in many other ways, not the least saving the massive investments to upgrade many of the corridors that's now necessary for even *conditional* passenger operation. (Where freight still takes precedence, e.g. the north main.)

Bear in mind that the vast length of this link would be on property that the Province could...or would have to, make available (the Hydro One xmssn corridor).

Last edited:
Last edited:
This is a reality!

CN just announced a Rail Bypass today.
Thanks for the tweets, nothing on-line yet. This is *incredible* news! I'm still not getting too excited until seeing the details.

Edit to Add: Watching the Youtube live stream: Del Duca: "From Bramalea to Milton". This is the Missing Link.

Electrification will then proceed all the way to K/W. Meantime express buses are going to be run K/W to Bramalea starting soon. Curious by omission is mention or participation in the announcement by CP! From catching the end of the live-stream, all that's been announced is CN's moving freight off of the northern main (ostensibly via a new RoW next to CP's from Milton west to the old Hamilton Northern that runs to Georgetown).

Is there another shoe to drop yet?

Last edited:
CN Comms has retweeted multiple bypass-related tweets.

upload_2016-6-14_10-47-36.png

Wait for the official big CN press release to hit the newswires.... 3... 2... 1...

Many companies now break out on Twitter before it shows up on newswire. It's now legal to break shareholder-relevant news on social media before traditional newswires for shareholders.

Attachments

• upload_2016-6-14_10-47-36.png
    upload_2016-6-14_10-47-36.png
    490.9 KB · Views: 520
This is big news. I know the Midtown corridor was freed up in the GO2020 and Big Move plans, but was the Missing Link part of that vision? Do we have any costing or timelines?

This is big news. I know the Midtown corridor was freed up in the GO2020 and Big Move plans, but was the Missing Link part of that vision? Do we have any costing or timelines?
Trawling the newswires today.

It's probably Missing Link Lite -- no CP involvement, no Midtown (yet)
Just enough to free up Kitchener for GO RER.
Also bodes well for Kitchener HSR.

Basically a phased Missing Link -- initially a CN-only Missing Link that may have future provisions to allow later CP introduction. I say, 50-50 chance there's a Federal announcement coming shortly. Post here if you find something.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitch...e-kitchener-toronto-wynne-announces-1.3634285

The province has also secured an agreement-in-principle with CN that will allow the GO regional express rail to be built along the Kitchener GO corridor. This will mean CN will move most of its freight traffic from its current section of the Kitchener corridor – between Georgetown and Bramalea – to the new line, freeing up capacity for more GO service from Brampton through to Kitchener.

It's probably Missing Link Lite -- no CP involvement, no Midtown (yet)

The more I think about this, the more I have concern. CN might have 'scooped' CP on this. CN's exec at the announcement was saying 'sweet things' and looking to bask in the adulation, albeit the money wasn't/isn't CN's. Perhaps the Feds will be involved in imposing a diktat on CP as per the Transportation Act to participate. Hopefully cooler heads prevail before that is necessary. (Logic dictates it).

None-the-less, this *rationalizes* a lot. Many of the problematic challenges, like the almost impossible (financially, let alone logistically) Brampton paralleling, electrification, and a host of other issues is now rendered pretty-much straight-forward. Perhaps this is a template for CN's further co-operation?

And between the lines...is there an ulterior motive on CN's part to claw-back passenger hosting?

Back