News   Aug 27, 2024
 866     2 
News   Aug 27, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Aug 27, 2024
 559     0 

401 "Highway of Heroes" and DVP to be "Route of Heroes"

Im going to write a letter to the province requesting they change the name of the 427 to Tuscani01 Freeway

The 401 has already been named "Highway of Heroes" (ugh). The MTO spent money on Big Blue Signs out in the sticks, and after each on-ramp, there's new 401 shields, and below two shields, each in the King's Highway shape, with the red and black poppy, in English and French saying "Highway of Heroes". They're ugly. (I hope they stay off the MapArt atlases, hint, hint)

What happened to the blue M-C Freeway shields anyway?

Good for the city at least this time not even taking it seriously. It's getting to the point where it's jingoistic and meaningless anyway. It's enough with the yellow ribbons on ambulances and now police cars.

we should rename all the subway lines as well while we're at it. thankfully there are not that many.

Im going to write a letter to the province requesting they change the name of the 427 to Tuscani01 Freeway

How about naming highway 410 the Miracle at 105 Bond Street Parkway?

Failing that, Group 8 Turnpike

Let's just get this over with in one swell foop: rename Canada 'Veterans Memorial Country'. I mean, we wouldn't have it if it weren't for them. We wouldn't.

^Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

The whole route from Trenton air base to the Coroner's Office on Grosvenor street should be renamed after our heroes! Just think about it: you would drive south down the Veterans memorial parkway to "Freedom Interchange" (formerly the Bloor/Bayview exit) and then make a right at "Democracy Drive" (formerly Bloor street). Then you would go as far as "Avenue of the Heroes" (Bay St.) and hang a left. Except at rush hour, when you can't make a left onto the Avenue of Heroes in which case "Boulevard of Heroes" (Queen's Park) is used. In a final salute to our glorious dead, you would make a left on "Liberty laneway" (Grosvenor) which would go as far as the "All Canadian Morgue".

I think giving the DVP and possibly the general route Hipster Duck describes the honorary title of "Highway of Heroes" would have the dual results of both placating people and ensuring that no one will ever actually use the phrase. No more than they use "Heritage Highway" or "Lake Huron Circle Route" (does the province even recognize those terms anymore anyway?). I can't see them changing the overhead signs on the DVP to "401 Westbound, Highway of Heroes Eastbound". Throw some signs up for now and the whole thing will be forgotten a few months after Canada leaves Afghanistan. And on Urban Toronto in 2040 there will be a discussion about those old rusty "Highway of Heroes" that someone noticed clinging to a lamp post on the DVP at Lawrence.

The only war-related street-naming project in Toronto that I would support... Vimy Circle! (unfortunately my support is about 3/4 of a century too late)

vimycirc.jpg

vimyplan.jpg

Lisa: Hmm, thank you Bart, for yet another touching "Bart's People". Now, turning to...
Bart: I just think our veterans deserve a little recognition.
Lisa: That's what [the 416 Veteran's Memorial Highway] is for, Bart.
Bart: But is that really enough to honour our brave soldiers?
Lisa: Eh, heh, heh...they also have [The Highway of Heroes].
Bart: Oh, Lisa, maybe you're right, maybe you're wrong! The important thing is, veterans deserve a highway to honour them!
Lisa: They have two!
Bart: Well maybe they should have three. I'm Bart Simpson.

What happened to the blue M-C Freeway shields anyway?
It's a wonder they didn't triple-sign it (401 + M-C + Vets), unless it was deemed a superfluous expense to add a third strut for the third sign...

How about a Veterinarian's Memorial Highway, in honour of those who've scooped up our roadkill...

Back