News   Aug 27, 2024
 247     0 
News   Aug 27, 2024
 465     0 
News   Aug 26, 2024
 2K     6 

'400' List Discussions: 400ft +, Status, Usage, Master Projects

Re: Toronto's 400 ft +

Cool pic. As is clear, it's still possible to squeeze a lot more people south of Front St. and any talk of running out of space in the city is premature. Oh, all those nasty surface lots.

parking lots

Does Toronto have those 10 story or more parking lots? like they have in Chicago and New York? That would dicrease p-lot are in downtown, and enable more towers to be built, right?

That's a great idea!

enthusiastic 42, but with a glazed-over look

Such parking lots, in any city, are generally considered temporary. They're effectively deemed 'unused land' until something more valuble can be built on the property. Chicago has less of this kind of property in it's core, thus there is more of a necessity to build vertical parking lots. Also, Toronto is trying to avoid vertical parking lots as much as possible by building them underground.

Chicago's littered with giagantic parking garages in the Loop with that semi-famous P-arrow logo. Toronto's are mostly underground in the CBD, and I prefer that. The only big ones I can think of are the Esplanade, Nightmare on Elm, Queen St E municipal garage, the ones on Murray Street behind the hospitals, the one on Queen's Quay backing the Gardiner and the ones incorporated into Eaton Centre.

They're not as prominent or numerous as US cities, thankfully.

Good aerial view, and I don't think it's that dated. The first tower of Infinity has been topped off (just east of Rogers Centre and the roundhouse) and the second tower is well under way. This is from early summer 2006.

" I don't think it's that dated"

do you see a better 'fault' with the photo?

I don't see what you're getting at Mark.

I think he's being facetious :) Are there any plans for the parking lot next to Captain John's? Strikes me as an ideal location for a park.

cassiusa, thank you for the picture. If you or anyone else have others focusing on the waterfront I'd certainly appreciate those as well.

For the UT community, what I'm looking at doing is something like my '400 foot list', only for the waterfront. Basically I want to show where projects are going, progress, proposals, etc. I'm hoping to use a real image, perhaps from an overhead angle, to point to or maybe even superimpose project renderings to provide the UT community with what to expect on our future.

Any ideas, suggestions, helpful links, photos, are more than welcome. I have no timeline as to when I hope to complete this by, but once I get it up and running I would expect it should be minimal work to maintain, just like the '400' list.

Can anyone confirm heights for the Telus Tower or One Park Tower in Mississauga? Industry insider perhaps?

Also I see emporis has heights listed for the Absolute Towers (548 & 495 ft), so I've updated that. I hope those are correct as this is the first time I've seen true heights given to these towers.

I think most of the heights are just guesses. RBC moved from 495 ft. to 600 ft. (Right after Mike in Toronto revealed it), and the telus tower also shot up to a new, but still obviously wrong height. Its too bad they cant actually do some real detective work.

I contacted PCL to confirm some Cityplace data and it is a bit different than what is one the list.

Tower N - 126.35m (414.53ft)
Tower PP (West One) - 145.2m (476.37ft)
Tower M (Neo) - 55.17m (181ft)
Tower L (Montage) - 137.0m (449.47ft)

Mike, were you given any indication if that's to the top of the top or to the roof height?

Back