News   May 17, 2024
 403     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 311     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 4K     5 

222 Jarvis Street LEED retrofit (former Sears office building, 9s, WZMH).

It's by far one of the strangest buildings out there. It's very totalitarian... It could easily be converted to prison.

I always found it a little cheesy--it's definitely "Pop Brutalism", as opposed to the "High Art Brutalism" of Scarborough College, Central Tech art school, etc.

Now, if they could figure an excuse to resurrect the overhead bridge to the Sears warehouse that bit the dust sometime in the 90s...

this would add to all the other brutalist building ryerson showcases on its campus.

the first time i saw this building was when that picture was taken back 3 years ago i think. i got my first digital camera and went for a walk downtown. i liked it then, and i still like it now.

this aquisition would be a great way for ryerson to make its presence finally known on jarvis. if they demolished the IILC building, gould could be extended to jarvis as a pedestrian lane lined with shops and cafes on each side.

Call me crazy, but I love this building. I have no idea if it's part of Levy's master plan though. I guess we just have to wait and see.

My professor told us this story about the building:

As the story goes, the architect showed the Sears CEO a model of a step-pyramid design, and he said something like "that's so ugly you might as well turn it upside down..."

And according to Dr. Keeble of the Ryerson School of Urban & Regional Planning, that's why the building looks the way it does.

But of course, he's made some wild claims before....

lmao.... looks like someone was paying attention in class! Im actually starting to miss his stories.

I like the building, but I hope it doesn't become a part of Ryerson. Ryerson already has too many 70s era buildings as part of its campus.

I don't think anything is happening to the building nor is Ryerson taking it over. If anything, the parking lot has a lot of potential for development (the province being the purchaser of the land aside)

What? And move the OPP headquarters back to Toronto?

Keep Fantino in Orillia!

On second thought, if it's PIR, it could be the Ontario HQ for the Commission for Silly Projects, like subways into outer suburbia, busways to nowhere, giant hospitals without funding to operate them at their potential, and freeways to Owen Sound.

I am on the record as liking the Sears HQ as well.

It might be the one brutalist building I actually like.

Query if the goverment might be going to shut down the Jarvis Street courthouse, which is woefully inadequate, and maybe consolidate it and the College Park courts here. Anyone know when the government's lease at College Park is up?

Back