News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 950     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 359     0 

2024 Mississauga Mayoral Byelection Transit Plans

I’m surprised at Dipika’s third-place showing. The last articles I read just before the election were showing her as neck-and-neck, and Tedjo wasn’t even being mentioned.

Just shows how hard it is to poll with low-turnout local elections.

True, I heard a lot of people talking about how Alvin's tax freeze was gonna be bad for the city and all but his views on other things especially transit made him the best overall candidate imo 🤷‍♂️
Anyone thinking tax cuts and freezing them is going to save them money is sadly wrong, it will be worse in the long run when it cost more to fix things delay by lack of funds or not building then when they should have been.

Look at the 10 years of no tax hike to see it as a 1% yearly increase would had add a lot to the reserve funds to cover unexpected work or cost increase or off set future cost for x to the point we have surcharges on the tax bill yearly since the city cannot run in the red. Take a look at Toronto to see this by not raising taxes when they should have been and why it needs around $30 billion dollars to fix the backlog.

Does anyone know what Carolyn Parrish platform was since she never wanted to debate during the process??

There is a school of thought that argue municipal politics as the training ground of politicians for senior levels of government - I guess a logical extension of that argument is that as a city region we're run by rejects.

AoD

Does anyone know what Carolyn Parrish platform was since she never wanted to debate during the process??

This :

Is what she passed off as a platform.

It says almost nothing that she can be pinned down on, and reads as entirely non-specific and unambitious.

This :

It says almost nothing that she can be pinned down on, and reads as entirely non-specific and unambitious.

The only *good* side is that she didn't win it as a slamdunk - and the locals, who are notoriously disengaged thanks to years of hagiographic rule - are restless.

AoD

This :

So, naturally she won. 🙃

So, naturally she won. 🙃

Technically, sure.........

But 31.4% of the vote, in an election with 25.7% voter turnout............is not exactly a robust mandate.

I mean...... 8.06% of all eligible voters in Mississauga voted for her.........

I was leaning toward Alvin Tedjo but the lack of mention for cycling made me vote for Carolyn Parrish instead.

If Alvin had mentioned cycling at all, I would have voted for him, despite the unhelpful rhetoric about 0% tax increases.

As a whole, the candidates platforms were not very good and I had to decide very quickly who to vote for at advance polling since I knew I'd be out of the country on voting day.

Anyone thinking tax cuts and freezing them is going to save them money is sadly wrong, it will be worse in the long run when it cost more to fix things delay by lack of funds or not building then when they should have been.

Look at the 10 years of no tax hike to see it as a 1% yearly increase would had add a lot to the reserve funds to cover unexpected work or cost increase or off set future cost for x to the point we have surcharges on the tax bill yearly since the city cannot run in the red. Take a look at Toronto to see this by not raising taxes when they should have been and why it needs around $30 billion dollars to fix the backlog.

This is only true if your plan isn’t gambling on home appreciations and selling before the big ticket stuff comes due

Alvin's campaign was very confusing. The look of his materials seemed to present as the progressive choice, but he wanted 0% tax increases (which is actually tax reductions given inflation) for wealthy homeowners, he wanted nothing to do with cycle infrastructure - it's like he played to the audience instead of what he actually believed in, and came across as phoney.

Alvin's campaign was very confusing. The look of his materials seemed to present as the progressive choice, but he wanted 0% tax increases (which is actually tax reductions given inflation) for wealthy homeowners, he wanted nothing to do with cycle infrastructure - it's like he played to the audience instead of what he actually believed in, and came across as phoney.
Very student council president.

I was leaning toward Alvin Tedjo but the lack of mention for cycling made me vote for Carolyn Parrish instead.

If Alvin had mentioned cycling at all, I would have voted for him, despite the unhelpful rhetoric about 0% tax increases.

As a whole, the candidates platforms were not very good and I had to decide very quickly who to vote for at advance polling since I knew I'd be out of the country on voting day.

In fairness to Alvin Tedjo, he did propose investing $5 million to advance the city's cycling master plan forward from a long term-horizon to be implemented in 2026. However, the controversy surrounding the Bloor bike lanes (and to a lesser extent, the pilot on Aquitaine in Meadowvale) plus Dipika Damerla and Stephen Dasko playing to the anti-bike lanes crowd meant the issue took up a fair bit of oxygen and I don't think there was much desire or room for any rational conversation on cycling during the by-election. The city absolutely does need to do more on cycling infrastructure, including speeding up implementation of existing plans and it would be good if Mayor Parrish and council took up the initiative.

I voted for Carolyn Parrish as well. I agree that Alvin had the most pro-housing message and platform, and he was right about the need to build a more complete city. However his financial plan was just nonsense, and that goes beyond his tax freeze for 2 years which would have had a huge financial impact down the road. Not only did he want the property tax freeze, he also proposed filling part of the revenue gaps using reserve drawdowns, and using the provincial and federal housing accelerator money. That money so far as been a one time grant and what happens when it runs out? There's no guarantee that future money tied to housing will exist in the future, or be as generous. The current housing money should be used to deal with the city's infrastructure backlog, not plug operating budgets just to hand out tax freezes, and rebates to seniors.

As someone who observes city council regularly, this has kind of been Alvin Tedjo's MO the past 2 years. In the past 2 budgets he has advocated for reducing the city's infrastructure levy from 3% to 1 or 2%, despite staff's warning that it would put the city's capital program, already underfunded, in danger and leave a huge gap due to the loss of compounding revenue. Also, in 2023, while the city's budget had no MiWay service hour additions he didn't move a motion asking for a staff report about adding more service to the budget - but was happy to move a motion for free kids fares which cost revenue. This despite the well known overcrowding issues and service reductions across the system which also disproportionately impacted Alvin's ward.

It's tough to say whether he would have won if it was just a two horse race between him and Carolyn Parrish. According to the last Mainstreet poll which was pretty accurate, in addition to the issue of bike lanes, Damerla and Dasko did get a fair bit of the senior vote as well. Also, in what wasn't a good sign for his chances, Alvin was polling well behind in his home area of SW Mississauga.

I hope he takes this opportunity to review some of his past approaches, especially financially so he can offer a more complete and financially sound platform if he chooses to run again.

As for Carolyn Parrish, I get that some will easily apply the 'boomer' and associated stereotypes that come with it, and I have no doubt we're in for a few more off the cuff comments. But I think people are going to be pleasantly surprised that she's actually quite progressive on major issues. She has oft spoken out about the unsustainability of keeping taxes artificially low. Having watched many Mississauga meetings over the years, she was a early supporter for fourplexes and many times has been the lone rational voice and yes vote at Planning and Development committee meetings over development applications. One that comes to memory is a townhouse development in Cooksville, a short walk away from the future Dundas BRT and within distance of Cooksville GO. She has advocated for rezoning of underused commercial areas so they can be developed into residential areas.

Well as the front runner Parris stopped attending debates and also so she wouldn't say anything improper. I guess it was fine because no one listens to the debates.

I always think about how Parrish was against the Iraq war from the start, and she drew a lot of controversy that way, but in retrospect, I actually think she was right in a way. Maybe Iraq would have been better off if the locals had deposed of Saddam Hussein themselves.

Back