News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 479     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

2023 Toronto Mayoral by-election

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm still with Matlow. Chow is my nightmare candidate, even more so than Saunders, there is literally nothing there with her. No substance. Never been in power, never managed multi-billion dollar budgets, never negoitiated with unions, out of city hall for years. I would like to know who set her up. Tory's endorsement 5 days to the election infuriated me, he had to wait til 129k Torontonians voted before he spoke up - what the hell sort of dick move is that? Why not endorse her straight away? If Chow wins I look forward to the end of homelessness in Toronto - LOL!

Tory's endorsement 5 days to the election infuriated me, he had to wait til 129k Torontonians voted before he spoke up - what the hell sort of dick move is that? Why not endorse her straight away?
Maybe Bailão was unsure she wanted it. Has anyone ever sought the endorsement of a disgraced former mayor who resigned after sexually pursuing young women (it won't be just the one) on staff?

Is anyone asking for ex-Governor Cuomo's endorsement?

I'm still with Matlow. Chow is my nightmare candidate, even more so than Saunders, there is literally nothing there with her. No substance. Never been in power, never managed multi-billion dollar budgets, never negoitiated with unions, out of city hall for years. I would like to know who set her up. Tory's endorsement 5 days to the election infuriated me, he had to wait til 129k Torontonians voted before he spoke up - what the hell sort of dick move is that? Why not endorse her straight away? If Chow wins I look forward to the end of homelessness in Toronto - LOL!
"Dick Moves" from Tory are why we are having this by-election! It's very on brand.

I'm still with Matlow. Chow is my nightmare candidate, even more so than Saunders, there is literally nothing there with her. No substance. Never been in power, never managed multi-billion dollar budgets, never negoitiated with unions,
What?!

Why is that a criteria for Chow but not Matlow?

I like Matlow, but objectively and unequivocally, Olivia has vastly more experience in politics than Josh. She's held greater power in a federal parliament seat than he ever has. Neither has managed budgets of that size, and both have two terms as TDSB Trustees, where union negotiation is part of the job.

And secondly, if managing multi-billion dollar budgets is a required criteria, outside of the business world (and even then, not that many) you'd be lucky to find a few dozen active politicians in Ontario with that on their resume. Toronto's budget is bigger than more than half of the other provinces.
out of city hall for years. I would like to know who set her up.

And there's the conspiracy. She has no agency of her own?
Tory's endorsement 5 days to the election infuriated me, he had to wait til 129k Torontonians voted before he spoke up - what the hell sort of dick move is that? Why not endorse her straight away? If Chow wins I look forward to the end of homelessness in Toronto - LOL!
Arguably, Chow will do more to help the homeless than Tory's dick move of sending cops into parks. At least she has compassion.

Chow and Matlow's plans to address homelessness aren't actually all that different.

I'll note, I say this as the uncle of someone who spent almost a year and half living in homeless camp—in a park—getting herself clean off meth. Sometimes homelessness is the safest option for someone in a dangerous situation. It's not a "lifestyle" that most people actively choose. It is not a scourge, it's a symptom of rot in the system and lack of compassion for other human beings. Those without homes are not a pawn for political one-upsmanship, so please don't treat them like an albatross to be hung around Chow's neck if she wins.

She's held greater power in a federal parliament seat than he ever has.
She was in opposition.

And secondly, if managing multi-billion dollar budgets is a required criteria, outside of the business world (and even then, not that many) you'd be lucky to find a few dozen active politicians in Ontario with that on their resume. Toronto's budget is bigger than more than half of the other provinces.
I agree with this, as a multi-millionaire herself she's well acquainted with dealing in large sums of money.

I just did my civic duty, though I had to trudge through the rain for it. Perfectly dismal weather for a perfectly dismal election. One person was there voting as I arrived, and one other showed herself as I was leaving so it was hardly swamped with people.

You clearly live in Anglophone North America but most of us live (or try to live)in North America.
Easy there, it's a rare sensible sentence that begins with an accusation. My 25+ year career is in international sales and I take pride in including accents in all my communications. My keyboard is hotkeyed for those I use most. It's an essential part of my daily life in both business and in trying to be welcoming to those I meet. In North America you may find someone like us who will strive to always use your accents, but in most cases those with accents in their names will have to either accept or insist against their accent's omission. That's my point above.
I consider comments about names with accents rather ill-informed. He appears not to even try to use accents
Again, suppositions where inquiry is your better friend. Ask me if I use accents, and I will tell you I always strive to. My point is that in North America, it's a struggle for those that use them.

Now back on topic.... I never thought about electing a dog.

Last edited:
Odd - noon on election day, and I just got a (typical) polling call for the election; though they asked for my second choice, which I haven't had before in this election. From "Northwest Research Group", whoever they are. As usual, Bailão was mispronounced.

Seems kind of pointless, unless they show up to drive me to the polls, depending on who I choose.

As usual, call was on the landline - I've had none on my mobiles this election.

Sure, that’s why it’s called anglophone North America. If you want to use foreign characters for monikers that’s your business, but don’t except the society to universally accept, understand or value them.
I've literally never heard it called anglophone North America, outside the odd, very academic, paper, or the white nationalist movement.

Foreign characters? We should ask the First Nations about foreign characters. Aren't we all foreign characters?

Back