News   Apr 25, 2024
 393     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

2023 Toronto Mayoral by-election

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Brad is a cyclist. It annoys me that he is pushing this.
I think he's just allowed himself to be a puppet of his Ontario Proud/Sun News Network-vet handlers. (So if he's outpolled by Anthony Furey; well, *that* demo'll opt for the real thing over a poseur anyday.)

Rob Ford ran on stopping the gravy train, John Tory pushed SmartTrack.
Maybe that was the problem and people are tired of nebulous promises and redundant pet projects this time around?

Chow is a known entity, with connections to the federal government and a strong history as city councillor. Why is any more needed than that?

Given Chow’s political leaning, if she gets a lot of left leaning politics passed through council, I firmly believe there will be negative results down the road. I think people will grow tired of it all.

Yeah, the city has spent the last nearly 15 years with what right and centre-right politics have gotten the city; massive cuts and privatization at worst, status quo at best. Toronto hasn't gotten better under Ford or Tory.

I do think she could win another term in 2026 with the power of the incumbency, however, unless she proves to be a truly effective leader that produces results that will please Toronto residents across the board, I seriously doubt she would still be the mayor past 2030. By then, I think the city will be asking for change, much like how we went from David Miller to Rob Ford and then found the safe, middle road with John Tory.

Despite what the Fords regularly wanted everyone to believe, Rob Ford didn't unseat David Miller. Miller resigned and didn't run for a second term. Big difference. The city had no choice but to change, and most of the city still didn't vote for Rob.

Tory likely got the vote out of sheer name recognition, despite being a multiple-time political loser.

Maybe I will be wrong, and maybe Chow will prove to be the best mayor the city ever had. I will eat crow if that happens... but I don't see things working out wonderfully if she is mayor for a long time. Like I said, I see a mayoral career with Olivia Chow going from high popularity to problematic to disastrous.

Why exactly?

So, what happens if Doug Ford and the conservatives get re-elected again in 2026? Just keep saying Ford is handcuffing the city and wait until the Ontario Liberals get back into power? I would like a mayor who will try to have conversations with his government instead of fighting them. If Olivia Chow wins, she will have to have conversations with Ford and his company for new deals with the city. That's a fact.
So, you think that's going to happen with a provincial government who won't themselves cooperate with the Feds? Ford wants capitulation, not cooperation, regardless of who's in power.

Given that she has sat in opposition positions during her political career, supported some outlandish things in the past and what she believes in, I don't have confidence in her ability to lead the city forward in the most manageable way.

"I am ready to tax!" That alone doesn't sit well with me, especially that the NDP are known for always looking to taxes.

Funny how Conservatives run on "fiscal responsibility", then cut taxes and increase the debt.

NDP governments have a history of actually paying down the debt. Maybe there's something to greater taxation if your goal is *truly* fiscal responsibility and not creating loopholes and tax cuts that disproportionately benefit the rich? Or have I just given the game away.
Ask Bob Rae how things went when the NDP oversaw the province for a term.

I'm so tired of this getting pulled out every time anyone wants to rail against "the left".

People so often forget that we were struck with a global recession in the middle of Rae's term; which the Harris campaign very readily chose to blame solely on Rae and his government, backed by the media power of Conrad Black. Harris weaponized grievance to get into power, and tell me, how well did that go? Thirty years later we're still dealing with repercussions, and all of the touted "positives" (selling off the 407, downloading services, etc.) have turned to negatives themselves.

AND STILL, Conservatives like to complain about "Rae Days"; when the later Rae government decided to capitulate to conservatives. He did a blatantly conservative thing and conservatives *still* complained.

Makes you think it was never, ever about Rae's policies, huh?

Unless taxes are kept as low as possible or if they have to go up at all, it's very small, there is no reason to believe that she would push for more taxes across the city. And especially seeing how expensive life is right now, I don't support the possibility of taxes going up and up and up. The fact is the provincial and federal governments need to cut new deals with the city.
The Federal government is the only one that should be stepping in at this point; keep the Doug Ford's grubby hands out of Toronto, thanks.
Agree to disagree with you. John Tory is a pure Red Tory in my eyes. And while I wish Tory had accomplished more, I liked his approach to city politics.

Tory's politics were the equivalent of a car parked in the middle of the 401.

I suspect he would be a close right-hand man to Chow as he will likely align with her on many policy items and even though he will not be mayor, I can't see her not bringing him into her possible political circle. Like picking a running mate, sometimes you pick the person you were competitive against as you know the partnership will help lead to results you want. Perhaps he wouldn't be a deputy mayor under Chow, but I think he would want to work closely with her, and I think she'll allow it as they have similar ideas.
You mean a mayor might like to have a similarly-minded person as their second-in-command? The problem with this is?

I give Tory credit for trying to work with mostly everyone.

Tory didn't even work with Ford, unless it was something Ford wanted first (see; Doug Ford complaining in 2011 that Toronto should have a Strong Mayor system). Ford has his own agenda for Toronto, and he'll run over whomever he wants to get it enacted.

He did have some that fought him on everything.

As did Miller (see; Rob Ford).

With our current political climate, I would be shocked if Chow managed to work well with the majority of council members.

I think you have a vast misunderstanding of who Olivia Chow is and her history in politics. Or how much respect she has in all political circles here in Toronto.

it’s a challenge for me to think what Tory might have done to ease our gridlock.
Tory and the council during his time as mayor caused our gridlock. Developers allowed to block bike lanes and auto traffic lanes, traffic signals seemingly timed to cause congestion, taking down the eastern access to the Gardiner forcing all cars and trucks up at Jarvis, zero apparent traffic planning for the endless marathons, etc. Chow can‘t do much worse.

Brad is a Tory loyalist, all the while it’s a challenge for me to think what Tory might have done to ease our gridlock. Even the King transit way has been abandoned. Brad is farcical.
Where to start...

1. Look seriously at how road construction is done and approved in Toronto. Many projects (e.g. KQR and Wellington) take FAR longer than planned and are extremely poorly 'managed'. The City bureaucracy is organised in silos who appear never to communicate.
2. Think ahead. The City knew that Queen would need to be closed at Yonge for the Ontario line but then did not speed up the new watermain work on Adelaide and clearly paid no attention to the fact that it (and the subsequent streetcar track work) were running late. No wonder it will take 2 years to open up the preferred streetcar diversion!
3. Road space is limited, on-street parking needs to be more strongly controlled and public transit improved (not reduced).
4, Utilities need to be STRONGLY discouraged from digging up recently paved streets and sidewalks (and then failing to repair their 'utility cuts' for years). Montreal offers utilities a window to do their work on/below a street prior to City work with lower fees; work done after is much more expensive. Toronto has 'moratoriums" - which are clearly never enforced.
5. Sometimes 24/7 work is the best option.

Where to start...

3. Road space is limited, on-street parking needs to be more strongly controlled and public transit improved (not reduced).

Agreed.

For above-ground works, near homes, I'm loathe to go there for any length of time; but just adopting 'Centrecourt' work hours would do wonders; 12-hours per day, 6 days per week.

Don't think the new Forum poll was posted yet.

1685453001859.png

1685453058614.png

Attachments

• 1685453028428.png
    1685453028428.png
    70.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 1685453117039.png
    1685453117039.png
    93.7 KB · Views: 19
Assuming Chow wins and finishes Tory's term, is there any chance she would not have the power of incumbency to win a full term?
I think there's a real chance she loses her re-election bid, especially if the centre and right unite around one candidate, a la Ken Sim in Vancouver or Mark Sutcliffe in Ottawa.

Don't think the new Forum poll was posted yet.

View attachment 481511

View attachment 481513

How is Matlow polling at 1% in Etobicoke??

Where to start...

1. Look seriously at how road construction is done and approved in Toronto. Many projects (e.g. KQR and Wellington) take FAR longer than planned and are extremely poorly 'managed'. The City bureaucracy is organised in silos who appear never to communicate.
2. Think ahead. The City knew that Queen would need to be closed at Yonge for the Ontario line but then did not speed up the new watermain work on Adelaide and clearly paid no attention to the fact that it (and the subsequent streetcar track work) were running late. No wonder it will take 2 years to open up the preferred streetcar diversion!
4, Utilities need to be STRONGLY discouraged from digging up recently paved streets and sidewalks (and then failing to repair their 'utility cuts' for years). Montreal offers utilities a window to do their work on/below a street prior to City work with lower fees; work done after is much more expensive. Toronto has 'moratoriums" - which are clearly never enforced.
^ all very valid complaints, and they’ve been valid for years. The fact that recent administrations have not addressed these issues is very telling. Who’s been looking out for the public? Certainly not the two recent mayors.

I can’t see any reason to elect a Tory loyalist.

Assuming Chow wins and finishes Tory's term, is there any chance she would not have the power of incumbency to win a full term?
Of course there's a chance. If she screws up in the next 3 years, if a very strong alternative appears etc etc. Being Mayor does give one certain advantages, mainly name recognition but that can be a two-edged sword!

Back