News   Apr 24, 2024
 292     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 2.5K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 634     0 

2023 Toronto Mayoral by-election

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What are the chances of KWT joining the race?

Slim to nil at this point. It seems that while there may be a NDP token candidate like 2010’s Pantalone, Matlow will become the de facto challenger to the Liberal-Conservative municipal machine backing Bradford/Bailao.

Chloe Brown has thrown her name in. Finished (impressively) 3rd behind Gil last time around.
I actually voted for her, last time. Seriously! I knew she wouldn’t win, but she gave me the opportunity for a protest vote and I took it.

How was it that I knew the last election would be a throwaway? It turns out that it was exactly that. Torontonians were walked down the garden path. Superpowers were not an election issue, but such powers were lurking in the background. Seriously unprincipled moves by Ford (again) and Tory.

I loved the way Brown waved Tory off, dismissively,

I’m really torn on who gets my vote next time.

Toronto's priority is not for pedestrians, which it should be.

Annette Street & Durie Street crosswalk

March 2, 2023...
View attachment 460727

Okay, the city will come along and fix it.

WRONG!

March 9, 2023, and it gets worse. Instead we get an iceberg...
View attachment 460728
30 cm of ice on the SIDEWALK added on.

Please stop derailing threads, Walter. You’ve been asked already in this thread. Consider this a last warning.

Reactions: DSC
My gut feeling is that if Matlow is elected mayor, he gets the boot in 2026.
Seems a bit unfair to say that IF someone gets elected now they will screw up so much that they get tossed out in 3 years time. In Matlow's case I doubt strongly that he would screw up, getting elected in 2023 will be HIS big challenge!

Okay. You don't want people to discuss what we want candidates to campaign for. Got it.

No, it’s the fact that your posts are repetitive and often off-topic. We know that snow clearance is an issue. We know that it should be an election issue. We don’t need constant reminders of it, unless, for example, a candidate or potential candidate brings it up specifically as worth noting here.

There are other threads to discuss specific things like snow clearance.

I think a problem with Marlow's potential run is how many councillors will actually back him? He's very performative, and gives a good interview, but how much gets passed by council?

I think a problem with Marlow's potential run is how many councillors will actually back him? He's very performative, and gives a good interview, but how much gets passed by council?

Under a strong-Mayor system, as created by the current gov't, he can get most things through with a 1/3 vote of Council.

Add that to the normal executive authorities and the carrot of committee assignments, I think he could muster a fair few votes.

Though he would need someone on Council to be his point person, but if he could bring, say, Carroll along, I think he'd do fine.

You know, weasely grandstanding tendencies aside, I think I can convince myself to back him as mayor if he follows a progressive agenda. Time for a more left leaning leadership at city hall for a change.

Under a strong-Mayor system, as created by the current gov't, he can get most things through with a 1/3 vote of Council.

Add that to the normal executive authorities and the carrot of committee assignments, I think he could muster a fair few votes.

Though he would need someone on Council to be his point person, but if he could bring, say, Carroll along, I think he'd do fine.
Even with the strong mayor he'd need 7/8 councillors to follow, and he's shown he can't play well with others.

If you look at the potential candidates for the election, I think he will struggle to get the support of a Carroll or Fletcher that he'd need to make him more viable.
You know, weasely grandstanding tendencies aside, I think I can convince myself to back him as mayor if he follows a progressive agenda. Time for a more left leaning leadership at city hall for a change.
Gil is dead in the water, and Chloe, while strongly opinionated doesn't have the ground game to win. Because of that, and if no one else comes forward for the progressive side, I'd be inclined to vote Matlow as well for similar reasons.

Last edited:
Though I voted for Gil last year, he ran a poor campaign and I will not do so again. (Or only if nobody better come along). Matlow looks like a better bet to me - at the moment!

Back