News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 310     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 859     0 

2022 43rd Ontario general election (June 2, 2022)

Hear me out: Mike Schreiner for leader of the Ontario NDP.

While that would probably serve the NDP well; I don't see Mike going for it; and frankly I don't see the party leadership going for it...........Mike would not have patience for the internal politicking there.

They couldnt care less, they got their majority and that's all that matters to them. They can do whatever they please for the next 4 years, unabated.

Whether it's a good thing or not, well I know the answer to that but many Ontarians will be in for an awakening.
we are going to have to face the fact - Toronto is surrounded by Albertans

Jeremy Roberts, a PC MPP running for re-election in Ottawa, has the distinction of being the only PC incumbent to lose last night.

The silver lining for him is he'll probably get a plum gig at a government agency making twice as much as he would as a government backbencher.

Very disappointing turnout indeed. But still, the Opposition stick got royally spanked.

Ben Woodfinden has written a piece that has echoes across the Atlantic with UK Conservatives targeting and winning over formerly solidly red ridings in England. Maybe not exact electoral comparison, but could be worth watching if there is a trend towards blue collar abandonment of Liberals/NDP/Labour for Conservatives/PC.

Doug Ford's blue collar election victory could reshape conservatism

Interesting, though that seems to have been turned on it's head in England where thanks to the buffonery of Boris Johnson the "red wall" is making a come back to a point his own seat is a possible loss now.

And the Prime Minister would be beaten by Labour in his own seat of Uxbridge and South Ruislip, with Keir Starmer ’s party holding a five point lead in the seat.
Meanwhile, every ‘blue wall’ battleground seat in the South and London would fall to Labour, including Iain Duncan-Smith’s constituency of Chingford and Woodford Green and Steve Baker’s seat in Wycombe.
The Tories are also predicted to lose every seat they hold in Wales.
This could also be the result here in four years, especially since we know from experience that the Fords can only control their inner-urges to do very stupid things for short periods of time.

Last edited:

In fairness to the 905, they're willing to vote for the Liberals if they seemingly have something on the ball...or give them a chance at times when they're lacking even that quality if the competition (i.e. the Tories) is equally crap. They voted for Kathleen Wynne, didn't they? Del Duca was just a complete and total flop right from the get-go. There was simply no disguising it. So much so, one can almost feel sorry for the poor loser.

Granted, they should have known enough about Ford to grasp his character - or lack of character - but people tend to gravitate towards strong leadership...or at least the illusion of strong leadership.

No it isn't. The politics are quite different - there are only a few ridings in Ontario where the evangelical right can get candidates nominated and elected, generally in the southwestern bible belt from Niagara West to Elgin County, and in parts of English-speaking rural Eastern Ontario, such as Lanark and Renfrew Counties. They're a much bigger influence in the Alberta UCP and the western Conservative party (including the interior of BC right through to Western Manitoba). Ontario conservatives have to appeal to a wider base, though even in Alberta, that is changing as the suburban rings in Calgary and Edmonton are gaining in influence and now deciding elections.

My main reservation about this is the inverse of my reservation about calls from the other end for the Libs and NDP to merge, i.e. strict binaries are "dumb" and un-dynamic. Maybe it's more that the OLP should accept its potential fate as an Ontario version of the UK's Lib Dems, rather than constantly huffing and puffing like it's entitled to Official Opposition status...
Going back to this, another problem I have with the notion of the Liberals voluntarily dissolving or becoming a fringe/negligible force is that as much as it may feed high-minded wishful thinking, it wouldn't necessarily benefit the *progressive* side of the spectrum.

Back