News   Jul 16, 2024
 310     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 422     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.2K     3 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

I wonder if Sorbara will take another crack at politics. He and his Vaughan developer buddies presumably made fortunes out of the Spadina subway extension, but think how much more a well-informed developer will make if the province approves the Line 1 extension to Richmond Hill.

According to Warren Kinsella, Sorbara's anti-Wynne rhetoric is to help his Vaughan predecessor, Steve Del Duca, who apparently holds leadership ambitions.

Mike says:
March 22, 2017 at 10:56 am
For a guy who was in politics as long as Sorbara was he has the people skills of a wet noodle
My guess as to who he’s trying to help, the MPP who succeeded him.

Warren says:
March 22, 2017 at 10:58 am
That’s what I’ve been told.

http://warrenkinsella.com/2017/03/a-sorbara-story/#comments

Last edited:
Sorbara is hardly alone in his views, the lid is getting slowly pried off of the 'secret':
Wynne downplays falling popularity as former minister warns Liberals face election disaster
https://www.thestar.com/news/queens...er-warns-liberals-face-election-disaster.html

That's all news that most in this forum already know, here's the real issue (and note how the Star's first three pictures feature the potential cabinet candidates for leader with more known faces, namely Tory, and then the following two with FedLib Cabinet members behind them. That's not by coincidence)
Seven people who might replace Premier Kathleen Wynne
There are whispers at Queen’s Park about possible successors if Wynne’s 25 per cent hydro rebate fails to soothe angry voters.
https://www.thestar.com/news/queens...who-might-replace-premier-kathleen-wynne.html

Sorbara also said that the Liberals will lose no matter what, so is it worth destroying the name and reputation of a good candidate.

I remember when most of us thought Miller had to go because of the garbage strike. Look where that got us...
The question is, will we be saying the same thing in 5 years time when Patrick Brown has eliminated the Greenbelt and Places to Grow Acts?

I don't care how bad Wynne gets, if Brown even suggests eliminating the Greenbelt, my vote is Liberal by default.

Really? I thought it was a Conservative bastion as they were in power form 1942 to 1985. Can;t say the Liberals have been in power that long and consecutively at that
The Progessive Conservatives were in power. Bill Davis would be an Ontario Liberal today.

Ontario is a province of Red Tories and Blue Liberals.

Really? I thought it was a Conservative bastion as they were in power form 1942 to 1985. Can;t say the Liberals have been in power that long and consecutively at that
You've lost me. And I think you missed the intent of the cartoon's humour. As I stated, "echoes of Conserve Ontario". It's a simile on the relevant party's slogan in each case.

Interesting note to see the potential avenues of attack the Liberals are going to take against their main opponent:

Reevely: Liberals' botched sexism attack on Patrick Brown is revealing

They have a full operation devoted to tracking things Brown and his lieutenants say and firing out fact-checks and counterspin, which is standard in a campaign but unusual this far out from one. They’ve already portrayed Brown as a liar (or at least a serial B.S.er) on electricity prices, with their “Facts Still Matter in Ontario” effort. Monday, they called him a sexist for planning to speak Wednesday at the Cambridge Club, a men-only Toronto venue.

Yes, well, speaking of appalling lacks of judgment: The Cambridge Club is not where Brown is to speak. He’s speaking at a restaurant attached to the Toronto Athletic Club, which is a different club, in a different building, with a different clientele. It’s a corporate cousin to the Cambridge Club — it is part of the “Cambridge Group of Clubs” — but it is not the Cambridge Club. And the restaurant, though affiliated with the club, is public.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...d-sexism-attack-on-patrick-brown-is-revealing

Back