News   Jul 16, 2024
 147     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 293     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     3 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

and we have a premier that puts the province in debt on purpose to buy votes because she cant run on her own record.

I am not saying Ford is great but a lot of guys defend the status quo and it needs to get slapped around time to time.

I have a question.

How did you read AoD's post and find this ^ to be a relevant response?

I am seriously curious.

Aha, so I have missed something. Typical.

You didn't miss much. LOL

Just a great deal of anti-Wynne, anti-Liberal vitriol over the years.

Some of it quite deserved, but not much of it fair, as it was almost always hyperbole filled.

Some might consider my latest response condescending, but it was a sincere attempt at balance. I've given her, I think, a FAIR, but hard time over the years for the manner of her posts.

I did want to extend some credit where it is due when those posts begin to sound somewhat more thoughtful.

I do think it unfortunate that they didn't sound that way sooner.

As the Liberals earned their fair share of criticism. But when that critique seems coloured by red hot anger and personal attacks, the underlying value in the post can get lost, or dismissed by the reader, to everyone's detriment.

You may be "principled", steveintoronto, but when it comes to grasping the bigger barometer of things, you're sure media illiterate (or contemptuous).
Must be contempt, as I'm very media literate.

Three seats is enough to swing an election in a coalition. Of course, I've linked the *media buzz* about that more than a few times. Not that you noticed evidently. And you're right, we are discussing different things. So back off the horn.
Top stories
upload_2018-5-13_23-50-38.jpeg
Ontario NDP and Liberals say it’s too early to talk about possible coalition

Toronto Star
8 hours ago
NDP and Liberals say it's too early to decide on potential coalition

CP24 Toronto's Breaking News
9 hours ago
NDP says it's too early to decide on potential coalition with Liberals

Ottawa Citizen
9 hours ago
More for ontario election coalition
Ontario NDP and Liberals say it's too early to talk about possible ...
https://www.thestar.com › News › Queen's Park
9 hours ago - Both Liberal leader Kathleen Wynne, left, and NDP Leader Andrea Horwath say theelection is too far out to speculate on possible coalitions.
NDP, Liberals say it's too early to decide on potential coalition ...
https://globalnews.ca/news/4205437/ontario-election-liberals-ndp-coalition/
10 hours ago - NDP, Liberals say it's too early to decide on potential coalition. By Maija ... READ MORE: Ontario election 2018: 10 ridings to keep an eye on.
Ontario — Here's What You Can Learn from BC's Last Election | The ...
https://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2018/02/19/Ontario-Election-Lessons/
Feb 19, 2018 - Could Ontario find itself with a result similar to B.C.'s last election — a coalition or alliance of centre-left parties voting no confidence in the ...

[...]
There's lots more.

Of course, it's an open debate as to what form and what parties would be prone to forming a coalition, what kind of coalition, and before or after the election, and perhaps in talks with the Lieutenant General before it's even decided who's to form the next government, but all of that was discussed prior too.

Perhaps it was lost in the 'buzz'? How about "Anybody But Ford"? Any "media buzz" on that? (Lots showing on Google and Twitter) I've posted a number of examples. Unless there's a complete upset result, it would take a coalition...

Edit to Add: There are currently two independents sitting in the Legislature. There might be even more after the election tallies are counted, there might be less. In a three-way tie for the Big Three, or even close to being a tie, for even just two parties, the deal making will prove very interesting. To try and use the present polling results to guess the weighting is purely supposition based on volatile indicators.

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-13_23-50-38.jpeg
    4.8 KB · Views: 251
    5.1 KB · Views: 250
    5.1 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:
I remember when York University had their strike.

Nobody I knew even considered going to York University after that. The university was black listed from applications in the minds of many.

I think around the same time, Ryerson surpassed York in prestige. York has a reputation now for being the easiest Toronto university to get in to.

Such are the consequences of a post-secondary school strike.
My kids are now both well into high school, and considering their university options. I asked both where they’d want to go, and both said they would not be considering York due to the strikes. Instead they’re thinking UoT and Ryerson, or further afield.

IDK why anyone would risk a pursuing a York education. If you’re there for anything close to five years, your odds of seeing your classes and life disrupted are high.

My kids are now both well into high school, and considering their university options. I asked both where they’d want to go, and both said they would not be considering York due to the strikes. Instead they’re thinking UoT and Ryerson, or further afield.

IDK why anyone would risk a pursuing a York education. If you’re there for anything close to five years, your odds of seeing your classes and life disrupted are high.
I am not sure - but I imagine that any government that actually cares about the kids would legislate and end to the strike after 3 or 4 weeks, so I doubt the disruption would be that great.

Must be contempt, as I'm very media literate.

Three seats is enough to swing an election in a coalition. Of course, I've linked the *media buzz* about that more than a few times. Not that you noticed evidently. And you're right, we are discussing different things. So back off the horn.

There's lots more.

Of course, it's an open debate as to what form and what parties would be prone to forming a coalition, what kind of coalition, and before or after the election, and perhaps in talks with the Lieutenant General before it's even decided who's to form the next government, but all of that was discussed prior too.

Perhaps it was lost in the 'buzz'? How about "Anybody But Ford"? Any "media buzz" on that? (Lots showing on Google and Twitter) I've posted a number of examples. Unless there's a complete upset result, it would take a coalition...

Edit to Add: There are currently two independents sitting in the Legislature. There might be even more after the election tallies are counted, there might be less. In a three-way tie for the Big Three, or even close to being a tie, for even just two parties, the deal making will prove very interesting. To try and use the present polling results to guess the weighting is purely supposition based on volatile indicators.

What does any of this have to do, *specifically*, with Mike Schreiner and the Green Party--other than the once-removed comparison point/precedent of the NDP-Green accord in BC? Note that the links you provided were about coalitions in general; and by and large about the operating assumption that it'd be a Lib-NDP coalition we'd be looking at. Except as a "possibility", the GPO is marginal in this discussion (and in the links you provide) because, well, their chances of being elected are marginal. Your links are about ***accords***. They aren't about the Mike Schreiner Greens. Yet you're the one talking about their "buzz" relative to the others. That. Isn't. Media. Buzz. About. The. Mike. Schreiner. Greens. That. You're. Presenting.

I'm very hopeful for an NDP/Liberal coalition government, but I find it hard seeing the math behind it. I feel like the NDP and Liberals are fighting over the same votes, while the NDP nips at PC votes in small and mid size communities in South West and Eastern Ontario.

I think a potential Liberal NDP coalition that maintains Wynne as the Ontario Liberal leader would both enrage the public (therefore being costly for both the Liberal's and NDP) and also be negative for the medium-term Liberal Party prospects. We seem to have a general Ontario provincial / Federal Government insider rotation. Successful Ontario Provincial governments of any political party that look long-in-the-tooth shed their brain trust and candidates to their Federal counterparts. It seems that the Ontario Liberal Party is in that moment now. The Ontario Liberal Party looks like it needs to reinvigorate itself and come up with a new cohort ready to compete in maybe 6 years time. The only way I could see this working is if the Coalition was NDP lead and Wynne stepped down as leader. Otherwise it would I feel slingshot the PC's into a near-term strong majority position where the government to fall.

Strategically, I think if the NDP win a weak minority they need to govern without a formal coalition. If the PC's win a minority it would probably be best for the other parties to take a wait and see approach and let Doug fall on his nose which is a distinct possibility. If the public are comfortable with what they see in the PC lead minority over time and Ford does OK, the public will clearly hand him a majority government if the other parties bring down the government, much in the same way everyone disliked Steven Harper but eventually granted him a majority government after a length trial period in minority position.

In a way I think a few years of PC minority government would be reasonable for Ontario. I think Ontarian's are generally tired of the pace of change of late as Wynne has been furiously pushing through as much of her agenda as possible. For many it has felt like an assault on their life and livelihoods. A PC minority would make it hard to get anything done, which is basically what I think many people want: a government that does nothing for a while. I know that kind of sentiment is disappointing for files like public transit that people care about so much on this forum but I think a "do nothing, no policy" government would win in a landslide at the moment over the Liberal, PC, and NDP alternatives.

I think a potential Liberal NDP coalition that maintains Wynne as the Ontario Liberal leader would both enrage the public (therefore being costly for both the Liberal's and NDP) and also be negative for the medium-term Liberal Party prospects.

Barring the Liberals forming government next month (hah), there is absolutely no way Wynne stays on as leader.

Libs accuse NDP of making 3 Billion dollar costing mistake in platform.

https://www.thestar.com/news/queens...t-means-at-least-3b-in-cuts-liberals-say.html

I'm not sure if not info is out there for me to review this properly.

However, I suspect that this is not quite what it sounds in that most of the money the Libs are claiming as "cuts" haven't actually been spent yet.

In fairness I shall try to dig up the details.

If this is a total oversight by the NDP, then that is a very real problem. Though not necessarily so much of one to cause a sudden enthusiasm for Ms. Wynne

Honestly, the Liberals don't get to critique anyone else's math. They have made too many spending promises to be realistic. And we already know they are lying about the current state of the books.

The platforms of all 3 parties should be taken with an enormous grain of salt.

Vote for the party that aligns with your views and is overall making promises you like. None of them are going to keep all these promises. Its just not possible.

Back