News   Jul 16, 2024
 384     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 497     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.3K     3 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

They have been for some time. So is the UK press. Guardian and FT both have had features on it. What makes it newsworthy to them is that they heard about RoFo. That left a lasting impression internationally.

So picking up on that theme, and "they're as fugged as we are" makes connecting Trump to Dump a slam-dunk.

Here's the NYTimes with one of theirs (they've run at least a few more)
OP-ED CONTRIBUTOR

Will Canada Elect a Tin-Pot Northern Trump?
By Stephen Marche

March 22, 2018
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/22/opinion/doug-ford-populism-canada-trump.html

The author appears often on the CBC panels to represent the US viewpoint on Cdn matters.

I don’t think Liberal or NDP voters want Doug to be like Trump. First, the PC party of Ontario is probably left of the Democratic Party in the US. Second, if Doug is like Trump than the real vote will bias to the PC Party relative to the polling numbers we are seeing.

It’s not surprising that the US and UK media would choose to interpret the PC’s popularity through the lens of US politics. After all, Canada is terra incognita for most of the world, and more or less indistinguishable from the US to the extent we’re even noticed. But, as Tip O’Neill observed, all politics is local, and we do ourselves a disservice to imagine that Ontario’s election is simply a replay of Trump-Clinton 2016, writ small. As a Ford supporter, or more properly an anyone but Wynne voter, I’m concerned about this government’s record on tax increases at the top bracket, bungled energy policy, substantial deficits, dishonest accounting (that simply cannot be fobbed off as a difference of equally valid professional opinions), relentless expansion of the state, and complete lack of concern for Ontario’s competitiveness. These are all Ontario-specific issues, completely unrelated to Trump’s nativist, xenophobic agenda. Given evidence that Ford’s support base more or less overlaps with Harris’, I suspect I have a lot of company. It’s understandable that foreigners would view Ontario as nothing more than a two bit imitation of the US, but that’s no excuse for us to do so, however much we may disdain Ford.

It’s not surprising that the US and UK media would choose to interpret the PC’s popularity through the lens of US politics. After all, Canada is terra incognita for most of the world, and more or less indistinguishable from the US to the extent we’re even noticed. But, as Tip O’Neill observed, all politics is local, and we do ourselves a disservice to imagine that Ontario’s election is simply a replay of Trump-Clinton 2016, writ small. As a Ford supporter, or more properly an anyone but Wynne voter, I’m concerned about this government’s record on tax increases at the top bracket, bungled energy policy, substantial deficits, dishonest accounting (that simply cannot be fobbed off as a difference of equally valid professional opinions), relentless expansion of the state, and complete lack of concern for Ontario’s competitiveness. These are all Ontario-specific issues, completely unrelated to Trump’s nativist, xenophobic agenda. Given evidence that Ford’s support base more or less overlaps with Harris’, I suspect I have a lot of company. It’s understandable that foreigners would view Ontario as nothing more than a two bit imitation of the US, but that’s no excuse for us to do so, however much we may disdain Ford.

I have no difficulty in agreeing with many of your expressed concerns.

I too would like to see a lower (no) deficit, I'm less concerned about our broad competitiveness when I look at the metrics, though there's always room for improvement, and the power file we all know has been handled exceedingly poorly.

That said, I'll take issue w/2 bits.

The first is your implicit assumption that Doug Ford is a better alternative and/or the best alternative on offer.

The absence of a costed platform creates some challenges, but based on a cursory list of 'promises' and/or off-the-cuff remarks, it would appear that a Ford government would run a deficit every bit as large as the Wynne one, and possibly worse.

He's made no commitments which imply a more competitive environment for business, unless you count the single-point reduction of corporate tax.

Given that we are already highly competitive on taxes, and in deficit, this doesn't seem a particularly useful or astute move.

I would prefer, in the medium term (once budgets are balanced, if expenditure is involved) that the focus be on lowering pre-tax, fixed costs.

Obvious examples would be, relieving business of retiree healthcare costs, by absorbing those into the public system on a priority, as affordable basis. (dental, vision etc.)

Second would be removing cost barriers imposed by regulation that lack utility. As an example, restaurants in Ontario pay retail or higher prices for alcohol than the consumer, that is beyond daft.

Removing that regulation, and allowing a wholesale market, at least for beer and wine, would reduce many costs in the hospitality industry.

Likewise, I favour lowering the legal drinking age to 18 (harmonizes us w/Quebec and Manitoba).

I think an arrangement w/Quebec and ideally other provinces to harmonize many labour rules would simplify doing business here, and expansion. I would tend towards harmonizing up, as I think the benefit of simplicity is more valuable to business than the cost of an extra week vacation or a slightly lower threshold for overtime.

I would also advocate for killing Drive Clean, and reducing certain hassles (if one can renew a passport every 10 years, why not the same for a driver's license, a work visa, a professional license? etc. Unless there is a merit-based reason for more frequent renewal, the reduced hassle and cost would be beneficial.

But none of these things are being promised by Mr. Ford.

On the other hand, the NDP is promising to cut the deficit in half, and have had their platform independently costed by Kevin Page, the former PBO.

Lastly, the provincial income tax, currently, on high income earners is relatively modest. Its not that punitive by Canadian standards, or by global ones in the OECD.

Besides which, if your tax accountant doesn't suck, you won't reach that bracket until at least $350,000 (use of RRSP, TFSA, RESP, Capital Gains, Foreign tax treaties, and the ability to incorporate in many cases as well.)

Sorry if I missed this. But Ford is promising to open up the Greenbelt to allow more housing construction.

Sorry if I missed this. But Ford is promising to open up the Greenbelt to allow more housing construction.

Ford brothers/nation true colours are being against the environment. From link originally back in November, 2012.

Toronto city council has halted its contentious ban on plastic shopping bags, handing a victory to Rob Ford at what could be his last meeting as mayor.

Councillors voted Wednesday to kill the proposed bylaw that would have enforced the ban beginning Jan. 1.

The mayor did not speak during the debate on the item, but his brother, Councillor Doug Ford, urged his colleagues to kill the bylaw.

Afterward, Councillor Ford called the vote proof his brother retains support on council. "We have the votes," he said. Asked if it was a win for the mayor, the councillor added: "It was a big victory for the people of Toronto. That's who the victory is for."

The vote does not mean there is no possibility a ban could be considered at some point in the future. Council also endorsed asking for a staff report on ways to reduce plastic bag use, which will go to the public works committee in June.

But considering the fact that housing is becoming less and less affordable it is probably a good campaign strategy for Ford. It will be seen as actually trying to do something about it.

There is a bit of hypocrisy from NIMBY Torontonians. They want to protect the greenbelt but will fight tooth and nail any form of density in their own neighborhoods.

But considering the fact that housing is becoming less and less affordable it is probably a good campaign strategy for Ford. It will be seen as actually trying to do something about it.
There is a bit of hypocrisy from NIMBY Torontonians. They want to protect the greenbelt but will fight tooth and nail any form of density in their own neighborhoods.

Of course they are - but I don't see *any* politicians wanting to poke that hive. Recall where the Fords stood for Humbertown? Or the Riverdale Laytons? And it's hardly a Toronto only phenomenon - it is probably even more intense in the 905 if anything.

AoD

Back