News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 941     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 358     0 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

Honestly, I think the PC's strategy is to put Mulroney's daughter infront of the electorate and hope for the best.
And that probably is their best shot now. But it is risky, as anyone (DoFo) can make a move during this leadership race.

I thought Christine Elliott is far more convincing than Mulroney.

AoD

He might even use it as a launching pad for the mayoral election, double dipping to start campaigning early.

It's Doug. If he won the provincial election with a majority he'd just revoke the City of Toronto Act entirely. Declare a savings of one's of millions by eliminating city council. Some intern in the Premier's office would get that file.

Last edited:
Isn't there a statute of limitations on such accusations? Or is it just accuse someone without going to court.

You can accuse someone of anything at any time though be prepared to be sued for liable.

Incidentally, that's what Wynne did when accused of something she felt she didn't do. First demanded a retraction then sued Brown for liable.

Regardless of whether Brown did what he's accused of or not, the fact that his staff resigned immediately (instead of assisting) tells me he wasn't ready to be a leader during upcoming bad times (a recession is probable during the next term).

Now a related reporter? Well, this is going to be an interesting and disheartening year.

So far none of my heroes are accused of any such impropriety so I guess I can retain my optimism. ....but if someone tries telling me that Churchill was a degen I shall give up all hope.

The issue is that Wynne is still very unpopular so any half decent Tory Candidate will still get 35% of the vote or so.

The issue can the Liberals keep 39-40% of the vote and I have doubts they can.

Now a related reporter? Well, this is going to be an interesting and disheartening year.

So far none of my heroes are accused of any such impropriety so I guess I can retain my optimism. ....but if someone tries telling me that Churchill was a degen I shall give up all hope.
He was. Remember, history is written by the victors.

Have you been listening to the news over the last few months?
A man’s only defence in these cases is civil court, suing for slander, forcing these accusers to support their allegations. If I say M636RF is a serial arsonist for example, and they lose their livelihood due to my accusations, then I would expect a civil suit to test my allegations at risk of paying up.

Last edited:
Honestly, I think the PC's strategy is to put Mulroney's daughter infront of the electorate and hope for the best.

And that probably is their best shot now. But it is risky, as anyone (DoFo) can make a move during this leadership race.
I'm reticent to use the word "hicks" but I just did. The OntCons just don't get it, at least the delegates. The executive, for all their faults, does. A 'hick' just isn't going to win. Either they drag this party into the sunlight and this century, or they're doomed. I have some doubts about Mulroney, even though she'd be my choice, as it's going to take a tyrant to keep the farmyard animals fenced in. She's certainly got 'the stuff', but who's going to be her sergeant major?

We'll see, interesting times.

And speaking of peccadilloes and barnyard animals (don't kid yourselves, more than half the party are guilty of social hiccups as much as Brown has had), here's the UK reaction to their last "Oh that's so shocking" revelation of rich old boys acting badly:
Sky poll: Men's behaviour at Presidents Club dinner 'typical'
A Sky News survey finds little surprise at the alleged behaviour - but also little appetite to ban single-sex social events.

By Harry Carr, Head of Sky Data

The majority of the public thinks the behaviour at the scandal-hit Presidents Club dinner is 'typical' of British men, a Sky Data poll reveals.

The annual charity dinner, attended by leading businessmen, has closedafter an undercover journalist alleged that hostesses had been sexually harassed at the men-only event.

Some 54% said the men's behaviour was typical of men in Britain, while 33% said it was unusual.
[...]
Theresa May said she was "appalled" to hear of the allegations.
[...]
https://news.sky.com/story/sky-poll-mens-behaviour-at-presidents-club-dinner-typical-11223816

I suspect if a poll were held in Ontario, similar results would be had for the allegations against Brown. This was all the 'Palace Guards' could find to remove Caesar.
"Et Tu, Brut cologne?"

A man’s on defence in these cases is civil court, suing for slander, forcing these accusers to support their allegations. If I say M636RF is a serial arsonist for example, and they lose their livelihood due to my accusations, then I would expect a civil suit to test my allegations at risk of paying up.
If M636RF has virtually no money to pay if you win a civil suit, and the civil suit will take years to settle, would you be better off just waiting for the issue to blow over than to keep it in the news?

I'm going to revisit this post, I commented in a lighter capacity earlier, but it misses an essential point that some journos are making, Andrew Coyne, DiManno, Blatchford, Soupcoff and quite a few others, because nuances are being trampled by the lynch mobs who can't separate 'perky behaviour' from 'predation':
Winston Churchill rated women out of 1,000, loved sex and was not gay, claims historian
Sonia Purnell also claims Britain's wartime PM was 'a rarity among alpha males' who rose to lead their country because he was not a 'sexual predator'
[...]
Sir Winston also had a rather grandiose idea of pick-up lines, telling one would-be girlfriend: “Marry me, and I will conquer the world and lay it at your feet.”

But Ms Purnell noted he was unable to sustain such passion, saying of the woman in question: “Unfortunately at other times he forgot to write to her or even speak to her, had no money and was at times incredibly demanding.”

And a music hall girl who spent the night with him found “Winston had done nothing but talk into the small hours on the subject of himself,” she added.
[...]
“I would actually be lying if when I was researching my book the idea [that Churchill was gay] didn’t occur to me as well,” Ms Purnell said.
[...]
She also said that Sir Winston was “a rarity among alpha males” who rose to lead their country because he was not a “sexual predator”.

“He wasn’t a Bill Clinton with interns, he wasn’t a JFK with actresses,” she said. “He wasn’t even a John Major with a certain Tory MP.”
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...nd-was-not-gay-claims-historian-10346749.html

The difference between a Brown and a Trudeau? Trudeau is more attractive. THAT is ultimately the difference in *many cases* of whether the behaviour is termed vexatious or 'cute'.

I'm reminded of a number of articles, can't find the specific ones in Cosmopolitan I've read lately, (I'm intrigued at what drives this "Take back the night" mentality, no-one ever "had the night"...so how can you "take it back"?) but in many cases, the women now being vocal about "unwanted attention" are the ones complaining about "the guy isn't making a move on me". The very same publication that splashes "How to get great sex" on the cover.

Here's a like example:
I've been giving him nothing but encouragement in the most subtle way I know how, even going so far as to tell him about how difficult it is to concentrate when I'm around him because he makes me flustered and scatterbrained since he's so adorable. And he DOES fluster me, telling me I have beautiful eyes and that he wants to take me dancing and traveling and putting his arm around me constantly and such. However I am very insecure about the idea of being the one to grab him and kiss him because there's still this part of me that's thinking "if he really liked you, he would be making a move, he is suave enough after all." He's also about ten years older than me and knows how to talk to women, so I'm not getting the "too shy" vibe from him.
https://ask.metafilter.com/62080/So-does-this-guy-like-me-or-what

There's a warning, not just about sexual politics, but about *leadership qualities* in all of this. *Anyone* wishing for a vanilla, 'normal', not-too-hot, not-too-cold, middle of the road, boring leader is going to get exactly that eventually, and the province will go nowhere.

If anything, Brown was all of the above. If these sexual peccadilloes are the best that the Cons can come up with to backstab the guy with, then they're ultimately even worse.

Vic Fideli for Ontario Premier? I think not. I get the distinct whiff of mothballs...

Reactions: jys

Back