News   May 07, 2024
 99     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 230     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 642     1 

2015 Federal Election

I'm about ready to puke at the adoration -- oh look, Americans think he's sexy, he's a great dancer, Maggie is enjoying the spotlight again ....

I'm jaded though because I've never been a fan, although I did hold my nose when it came to voting. It's the honeymoon phase, hopefully we can get down to business and see how he runs a country, because I really don't care about his dancing skills. Or his hair.

I'm about ready to puke at the adoration -- oh look, Americans think he's sexy, he's a great dancer, Maggie is enjoying the spotlight again ....

I'm jaded though because I've never been a fan, although I did hold my nose when it came to voting. It's the honeymoon phase, hopefully we can get down to business and see how he runs a country, because I really don't care about his dancing skills. Or his hair.

Yeah, I am much more interested in seeing him getting his hands dirty on the Census, C-51, Paris Conference, Assisted Death, Marijuana, etc. There is a lot of work to do.

AoD

Anyone else getting tired of the Toronto Star's celebration and adoration of Trudeau and the end of Harper? You'd think we'd just overthrown a murderous tyrant.
The Star seems to be "gloating" a bit....and that is very weird because the man himself has handled himself with nothing but class and dignity since the win.

In fact, both, he and Harper should have re-instilled some confidence in us that we can handle elections maturely and competitively and end them the way we do the most combative of hockey games....with handshakes and respect.

I was a bit worried (TBH) that the election day was so close to the 1 year anniversary of the attack on the hill and the loss of Nathan Cirillo.....I was worried that somehow the election rancor would spill over on what should be a day of reflection and remembrance. I was worried about a CPC win being used to somehow politicize the event and was worried that a LPC or NDP win would somehow lead to a debate over who should lay the flowers and lead the nation in mourning.....both men deserve complements on how they handled the situation......they just naturally came together and did it together....lock step. If they had any discussion at all about who/what was appropriate they kept it quiet and behind closed doors and whatever those discussions were (if any) they arrived at the right approach. They did themselves, and our country, proud.

Another person that I think has behaved admirably since the election is Lisa Raitt. In her own riding she went out of her way to loudly and (it would seem) sincerely comment on the quality of people the Liberals and NDP ran against her and compliment them on their campaigns......and nationally, she was on Power and Politics and twitter to sing the praises of Megan Leslie.

upload_2015-10-23_15-48-11.png

I honestly think this is the early leader in the CPC leadership race.

Attachments

• upload_2015-10-23_15-48-11.png
    upload_2015-10-23_15-48-11.png
    136.1 KB · Views: 482

Now that Ford Nation’s political toxicity has been fully exposed, Toronto can finally rid itself of the Fords’ the same way the country did with Harper earlier this week. Such a double whammy, as welcome as it is rare, represents a tectonic shifting of the political plates, a redrawing of the landscape, a game-changer, the start of a new era. This should come as good news for Toronto Mayor John Tory, who can now stop looking over his shoulders and wondering what would Rob Ford have done. The idea that Tory need be no more than Ford without the crack no longer applies. Thanks to the election, John Tory is free at last, free at last, liberated from the shackles that have bound him — and the city — for much too long. It’s OK now to be progressive.

John Tory will suddenly become a progressive? Not a chance.

Yeah, I am much more interested in seeing him getting his hands dirty on the Census, C-51, Paris Conference, Assisted Death, Marijuana, etc. There is a lot of work to do.

AoD

He has set himself quite the agenda.....first he has to get 25k syrian refugees here on the ground by December 31 (something that seems logistically impossible) and he has to introduce a bill to create a whole new tax bracket and reduce the taxes of the middle class.....and he does not actually take office for a couple of weeks.....gonna be tough.

I predict the Syrian refugee promise is going to be broken. It does seem overly ambitious considering we only have 2 months until the end of the year.

Last edited:
I predict the Syrian refugee promise is going to be broken. It does seem overly ambitious considering we only have 2 months until the end of the year.
He was asked specifically about it on CTV news with Lisa Laflamme (I think the whole interview is on W5 this weekend) and he stated categorically that he intends to fulfill this election promise (actually all of his election promises).

He has set himself quite the agenda.....first he has to get 25k syrian refugees here on the ground by December 31 (something that seems logistically impossible) and he has to introduce a bill to create a whole new tax bracket and reduce the taxes of the middle class.....and he does not actually take office for a couple of weeks.....gonna be tough.

Given the timeframe, I don't think anyone will fault him for not being about to bring in 25K in for the remainder of the calendar year so long as there is a genuine attempt to bring in as many as possible, within the constraints of screening and whatnot.

As to tax reform - isn't that best left to the budget bill?

AoD

I suspect that there is a clickbait element to all of this. Trudeau articles were generating lots of traffic, which leads to more Trudeau articles.

I am a fan of what he has accomplished to date, which is pretty impressive. Was never really taken with him otherwise. Am very interested to see how he'll do as PM.

Given the timeframe, I don't think anyone will fault him for not being about to bring in 25K in for the remainder of the calendar year so long as there is a genuine attempt to bring in as many as possible, within the constraints of screening and whatnot.

AoD

I think what will happen by end of year is that thousands will have been resettled in Canada, and the Liberals will say that the wheels are in motion to bring in the rest of the 25,000. As long as people are arriving, I am not sure that many will quibble over weeks.

Setting aside this particular issue.....that is precisely the kind of "promise" that drives many mad. He knows the date of the election...he knows (+/-) when he would take office should he win....so the timing is well known...to then take office and say "sorry there is not enough time to fulfill that one" smacks of "I knew I couldn't do it when I said I would do it"....I don't think he is treating it that way but if he does use the "there's not enough time" line....he should explain what he was thinking when he said it.

AoD

That is exactly what I said when he first said that this bill would be introduced right away....but he seems to think/want to do it outside of a budget and as a "first job/bill" thing.

Back