News   Jul 19, 2024
 800     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 3.6K     7 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

2015 Federal Election

... I've not seen anything that suggests the Conservative notion that of "if you don't like how we do things, don't come here" is a "white" platform.
When it comes in the form of comments like "it makes no sense to pay "whities" to stay home while companies bring in "brown people" as temporary foreign workers." then how isn't it a "white" platform.

How is this not racist? Ignore the words that he used. How could one even start making comments that imply that Canadians are white, and immigrants are non-white? Ignoring the racisms of it, many Canadians are non-white, and many of the temporary foreign workers I've met are white!

I suppose if Harper and other MPs had stood up and said that such comments weren't okay, then it wouldn't be clear that the Conservative party isn't running on racism this time. But I'm not aware of any of them objecting to this.

Is a person against gay marriage and votes for candidates that support traditional marriage, for example, an evil bigot.
Of course they are. How could anyone in this day and age be so utterly evil to base their decisions on hate and prejudice in complete violation of our charter of rights?

Such bigotry is wrong and evil. And it's time we started calling a spade a spade, instead of letting such utter and extreme evil ferment in society.

Given the number of racist and prejudiced comments that various MPs have made lately, it's going to be an interesting, but sad, election.

It's interesting to me how untouchable the issue of SSM is now.
It is amusing that the Conservative Party of Canada won't seem to touch SSM, and yet instead seem to think it's okay to make racist comments about niqabs. I really don't get it ...

Last edited:
I find it amusing that Tim Uppal (a turban wearing Sikh) sits behind Harper and has to listen to that kind of nonsense.

MP James Lunney quits Conservative caucus over perceived threats to his religious beliefs

From The Star, at this link:

B.C. MP James Lunney says his religious freedom is under attack by those who want to "suppress a Christian world view."

james-lunney.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

British Columbia MP James Lunney is leaving the Conservative caucus because of perceived threats to his religious freedom as a Christian.

Lunney had already announced that he would not seek another term in the upcoming federal election, but his resignation means he will sit as an Independent in Parliament for the remainder of his term.

“I will seek an opportunity to address the House in defence of my beliefs and the concerns of my faith community,†he wrote on his website.

Lunney wrote he is leaving the party because “the realm of politics at senior levels†have become hostile to “a Christian world-view.â€

“It is clear that any politician or candidate of faith is going to be subjected to the same public scrutiny in coming elections,†he said. In February, Ontario Tory Rick Nicholls received flak from his own party when he said he didn’t believe in evolution.

On Feb. 28, Lunney tweeted to “stop calling #evolution fact.†His tweet was retweeted 98 times and the story was picked up by multiple media outlets, but not the Star.

Lunney wrote that comments he made about evolution on Twitter were “inflated by media†and “blended with other unrelated but alleged heretical statements.â€

Lunney equated criticism of his beliefs with racial and religious bigotry.

“Such ignorance and bigotry cloaked in defence of science is as repugnant as bigotry of any other origin,†he wrote. “It is based in a false construct from another century and is a flagrant violation of a society that is multicultural, multi-racial and multi faith and strives to be accepting of differences.â€

Lunney said the decision was his own, and that he will continue to vote alongside his Conservative colleagues.

“Given the circling trolls, I do not intend to entangle the most multi-racial, multicultural and multi-faith caucus in parliamentary history in my decision to defend my beliefs,†he said.

Lunney announced that he would not seek re-election in 2015 because the riding he has served since 2000, Nanaimo—Alberni, will have its border redrawn in the coming federal election.

What the heck is a "Christian world view"? I've been a church going Christian for decades, but I don't know what this means. It can't be a racial thing, as I'd fathom to guess that Christians are come in all shades.

IMO that's certainly a reflection of xenophobia and ignorance, but I don't see any racism in this. Niqab wearers can come from anywhere, Islam is an international religion that encompasses all races.

I wonder if there's an equivalent to Godwin's Law for racism accusations, where if discussion about someone's apparent position on another person or persons is prolonged eventually someone calls racist.

Last edited:
IMO that's certainly a reflection of xenophobia and ignorance, but I don't see any racism in this. Niqab wearers can come from anywhere, Islam is an international religion that encompasses all races.

I wonder if there's an equivalent to Godwin's Law for racism accusations, where if discussion about someone's apparent position on another person or persons is prolonged eventually someone calls racist.

It doesn't matter if Islam comprises many different "races" because "race" is a social construct to begin with. And the fact is Muslims are overwhelmingly brown while the people making these xenophobic comments are all white, so to say this has nothing at all to do with "race" is just wrong.

Davenport NDP MP Andrew Cash posted a picture of Mulcair and Olivia Chow with the tag line "Is there a future MP in this photo?"

Is Cash just playing with his followers or is Chow considering another federal run?

https://twitter.com/AndrewCash/status/580743088286478336

Or she could run against Adam Vaughan in Fort York. I wouldn't recommend she do that, though. The optics would be terrible - "you're the MP because I resigned my seat, but since my candidate didn't win and I bombed in my run for my mayor I want it back." It'll be an ugly, bitter grudge match with roots going back to the 2006 race in Ward 20.

Most of her base - the Annex area and Chinatown/Kensington - is in University-Rosedale, where Jennifer Hollett is the candidate.

Last edited:

Back