News   May 23, 2024
 266     0 
News   May 23, 2024
 422     0 
News   May 23, 2024
 681     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Transit Plans

I don't hate her, I just think her transit plan was weak from the get go and even then both the Post and Star demonstrated that she wouldn't be able to deliver her enhance bus service in the short term like she claimed she could... Someone didn't do her homeworks...

All the front runners got weak transit "plans" and most certainly didn't do their homework (particularly liked gweed's dissection of Tory's position). There are certainly ways to deliver enhanced bus service within the existing constraints, but I am sure drivers won't like it. You can't have more buses and you don't have more drivers in the short term - so how do you increase capacity without increasing fleet size? Why, make sure the buses runs faster of course. Now you can work out the fine details like stop locations, use of bus only lanes during rush, etc.

Anyways, since when did forum rules allow anyone to use the b-word, on a women no less?

AoD

Last edited:
All the front runners got weak transit "plans" and most certainly didn't do their homework (particularly liked gweed's dissection of Tory's position). There are certainly ways to deliver enhanced bus service within the existing constraints, but I am sure drivers won't like it. You can't have more buses and you don't have more drivers in the short term - so how do you increase capacity without increasing fleet size? Why, make sure the buses runs faster of course. Now you can work out the fine details like stop locations, use of bus only lanes during rush, etc.

AoD

Exactly my point Alvino. I agree with you about making buses operate faster but she hasn't proposed that either. She just throws around the magic number of 10% bus service increase without explaining...HOW???

You already have a better plan than she does. She doesn't know what she's talking about which was painfully demonstrated by both the Star and Post. Such a realistic and easy plan to implement and to understand and she can't even sell it properly....

Very disappointing...

I don't hate her, I just think her transit plan was weak from the get go and even then both the Post and Star demonstrated that she wouldn't be able to deliver her enhance bus service in the short term like she claimed she could... Someone didn't do her homeworks...

At the same time, as the National Post says, how sad is it that we can't increase bus service by 10% if we even tried?
And I do wonder if we strictly need a new garage constructed to store them in the short term. I'm not saying that the McNicoll's garage isn't an immediate priority, but if 100 buses landed on their lap they could potentially store them with their available parking, or by leasing space until the garage is constructed. Maybe scatter them in different Tim Hortons and Shoppers Drug Mart parking lots around Scarborough :p

But I agree, her transit plan seems like more of an after-thought. She seems more at home discussing social services like affordable childcare and social housing than hard infrastructure. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, politicians tend to be out of their element when they talk about transit so the more detailed plans tend to also be the less feasible ones. Take Sarah Thompson's subway/"LRT" plan for instance.

Let's not feign disappointment here, it wasn't like we truly expect any of the front runners to be doing anything but pandering. Now did her two other competitive opponents even suggest improving local service? Nope.

AoD

Let's not feign disappointment here, it wasn't like we truly expect any of the front runners to be doing anything but pandering. Now did her two other competitive opponents even suggest improving local service? Nope.

AoD

All of them have been terrible, honestly. I've criticized Tory's plan more time than I can count, I ridiculed Stinz flip flopping so often, mocked Thomson, rolled my eyes at Sonacki's obsession with Transit City and Ford... does he even have a plan?

What I found "taxing" is that any time it's Chow's turn, someone will always defend her by saying : "Well...the other candidates aren't any better"

So annoying, just come out and say that you're not impressed by Chow or that you just agree with her instead of using that annoying comeback...

Actually there is a significant difference - the willingness to look at the issue of local service - which was not mentioned by any of the other candidates. I thought that was refreshing, just like Sonacki's rush hour proposal. These are partial solutions that can be implemented in a reasonable, 4 year time-frame. The long-term will require a completely different level of committment. Good luck with building subways beyond EA talk at that time-scale.

And speaking of annoyance, it would be helpful for that comment to come from someone who hasn't been banned multiple times under multiple handles and posting the same stuff on multiple newspaper comments section.

AoD

Last edited:
I'm fascinated by all the irrational hatred against Chow (and most left wing politicians). I guess the right wingers are finally getting tired of having Miller as their punching bag and have now decided to pick on Chow.

People are crazy cheap in Toronto, one thing I have discovered about the last few elections.

Looks like Tory will win this time. SmartTrack might become reality.

Actually there is a significant difference - the willingness to look at the issue of local service - which was not mentioned by any of the other candidates. I thought that was refreshing, just like Sonacki's rush hour proposal. These are partial solutions that can be implemented in a reasonable, 4 year time-frame. The long-term will require a completely different level of committment. Good luck with building subways beyond EA talk at that time-scale.

Like I was saying previously, It's not the "what" that's wrong but the "how". Chow's plan was debunked in detail by the Post and the Star and yet you still argue that you think it's still feasible...somehow...in the short term. Can it be done in the medium to long term? Absolutely. Short term...no. Even the TTC said it and yet you somehow have information that the TTC doesn't have.

Not only she needs to buy more buses to meet her 10% target but since she so adamantly want to derail the Scarborough Subway deal, she'll need to buy even more buses and hire more drivers to give shuttle service to people in Scarborough while the RT is being converted to LRT. Funny she left that one out...

So, she argues that she'll improve bus services but she's conveniently leaving out the nightmare that will become Scarborough (quoted by many councillors left and right...outside of Ford and Mammolitti) out of her analysis. Transit will be worse than today. The TTC said it and even estimated the amount it would cost to implement the shuttle bus service while the RT is down. Where are her numbers on that issue? What her response on the service level during the RT conversion???

Come on Alvino...

And speaking of annoyance, it would be helpful for that comment to come from someone who hasn't been banned multiple times under multiple handles and posting the same stuff on multiple newspaper comments section.AoD

You must be confusing me with someone else. I've never been banned from any boards...ever. I rarely post in newspaper except the post which is rare. Sorry, try again

People are crazy cheap in Toronto, one thing I have discovered about the last few elections.

I think that "SmartTrack" will have to be modified by having the airport section start at where the Georgetown line crosses the 427 and then go down to Airport Corporate Centre via Pearson Airport while getting rid of the current airport rail link which can't run large trains. (Presumably everyone who doesn't have a monthly pass will be ripped off when using the Pearson station but not the ACC station). Of course Metrolinx will want to upgrade other GO lines not included in "SmartTrack" as well.

I find it hard to believe Chow will win. There is a lot of opposition to LRT, and there is a lot of opposition to dangerous bike lanes which only 2% of Toronto residents will use and which cause traffic congestion. Tearing down the Gardiner is unpopular, Chow claims she is against this but I don't believe her. People don't want to go back to Miller, who only won in 2006 because he had a hidden agenda.

Something like it should become a reality (as per the provinces definition) even if Ford is elected.

It's a provincial project with very little to do with the city or the TTC. Metrolinx isn't going to donate their corridor to the TTC any more than Hydro One will.

I find it hard to believe Chow will win. There is a lot of opposition to LRT, and there is a lot of opposition to dangerous bike lanes which only 2% of Toronto residents will use and which cause traffic congestion. Tearing down the Gardiner is unpopular, Chow claims she is against this but I don't believe her. People don't want to go back to Miller, who only won in 2006 because he had a hidden agenda.

Are you for real? In 2006, Miller won because he was a popular incumbent with only one serious opponent - Jane Pitfield.

Bike lanes don't cause congestion, cars cause congestion.

Bike lanes don't cause congestion, andrewpmk cause congestion. Because he (and others like him) vote for idiots that cause congestion, because Miller.

Back