News   Jul 17, 2024
 352     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 771     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 1K     2 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Transit Plans

No, we don't need to work on that. What we need to work on is implementing the excellent plan we already have.

Do you like SmartTrack? Well great. GO RER is exactly that.

Do you also like Relief Line? Well great. We'll give you both of those, for less than the cost of SmartTrack. It's an amazing deal.

Quit debating and get er done. There is absolutely no reason to be debating this overpriced and completely infeasible SmartTrack proposal. We already have a plan that will achieve everything SmartTrack does and more, for a lower cost. SmartTrack has one and only one purpose: to get Tory elected by pandering to suburban voters.
That was the whole point though. SmartTrack = GO RER, so "SmartTrack" will be a promise he can keep easily.
I would also add that if you like LRT on Finch and Sheppard, you will get those too if Tory doesn't become mayor.
This is the real problem. But it would be nice if residents in those areas would speak out in favor of these LRT's too.

Well, there are other reasons to got to LV besides working there....like going to the restaurants and bars....like going to events at the Ex/Ricoh/BMO Field/Ampitheatre.

Exactly, with events happening there, the massive amount of condos, the restaurants in the area, plenty of reasons. More sporting facilities and other things will likely be built on the Ex in those giant parking lots too. Also whatever Ontario Place becomes.

Also, many offices & jobs are now moving west of the downtown core. Spadina to Dufferin including LV is increasingly where the jobs are, since some companies want to move into loft-style buildings in "cool/hip/whatever"* neighbourhoods full of young & single people.

*As someone in their late 20's I no longer know what word the kids use these days ;)

No, we don't need to work on that. What we need to work on is implementing the excellent plan we already have.

Do you like SmartTrack? Well great. GO RER is exactly that.

Do you also like Relief Line? Well great. We'll give you both of those, for less than the cost of SmartTrack. It's an amazing deal.

Quit debating and get er done. There is absolutely no reason to be debating this overpriced and completely infeasible SmartTrack proposal. We already have a plan that will achieve everything SmartTrack does and more, for a lower cost. SmartTrack has one and only one purpose: to get Tory elected by pandering to suburban voters.

What plan do we have now?

1. Transit City
  2. B-D subway extension instead of SRT replacement with LRT.
  3. GO all day frequent service.
  4. The Yonge Relief Study where most of the options are focussing on GO improvements.

I might be slammed for this, but how is 7 years for this 50km line where most of the track is already there deemed "impossible" (when politicians say 7 years for a project, it probably means 10-15 years realistically), when China was able to build a 2200km High speed rail from Beijing to Guangzhou with 46 stations from scratch in 4 years (2005-2009)?

I know it is complete different policy process with different labour policy etc. but the way things are done is just frustratingly slow. Everything is in a matter of decades.

I might be slammed for this, but how is 7 years for this 50km line where most of the track is already there deemed "impossible" (when politicians say 7 years for a project, it probably means 10-15 years realistically), when China was able to build a 2200km High speed rail from Beijing to Guangzhou with 46 stations from scratch in 4 years (2005-2009)?

I know it is complete different policy process with different labour policy etc. but the way things are done is just frustratingly slow. Everything is in a matter of decades.

Strengths and weakness of a democratic polity with diverse regional and local interests governed by the rule of law.

AoD

Last edited:
What plan do we have now?

1. Transit City
  2. B-D subway extension instead of SRT replacement with LRT.
  3. GO all day frequent service.
  4. The Yonge Relief Study where most of the options are focussing on GO improvements.

What new plans will Tory bring to the table:

-

What existing plans will Tory not support:

- Transit City (i.e Finch and Sheppard)
- Relief Line

I don't know specifically about the Beiging - Guangzhou line, but parts of China's HSR system are quickly falling apart because of shoddy construction due to rapid timelines and corruption.

I get the point you're trying to make, but China's HSR is hardly a shining star.

Can we stop referencing how things are done better in countries under regressive and bigoted violent military dictatorships?

What new plans will Tory bring to the table:

-

We all complain when a politician draws lines on a map.

Now we complain when a politician doesn't.

Which is it?

What existing plans will Tory not support:

- Transit City (i.e Finch and Sheppard)
- Relief Line

Let's here and now stop this fallacy.

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_hal...oes_again.html

he said Monday that he does want construction on the two LRTs to happen as planned: Finch from 2016 to 2020, Sheppard from 2017 to 2021. And he said the suggestion that he would reallocate the federal and provincial cash to his SmartTrack is a “total fabrication.”
“They’ve allocated it to those projects. I have no intention of asking them to switch it to anything else,” Tory said in an interview.
“I want the LRTs to proceed,” he said. “I will move them forward. I have no problem with them proceeding.”

Let's here and now stop this fallacy.

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_hal...oes_again.html

he said Monday that he does want construction on the two LRTs to happen as planned: Finch from 2016 to 2020, Sheppard from 2017 to 2021. And he said the suggestion that he would reallocate the federal and provincial cash to his SmartTrack is a “total fabrication.”
“They’ve allocated it to those projects. I have no intention of asking them to switch it to anything else,” Tory said in an interview.
“I want the LRTs to proceed,” he said. “I will move them forward. I have no problem with them proceeding.”

There is a constant stream of misinformation from all campaigns to each other I find, which spreads online and takes a life on its own.

Back