News   Jul 16, 2024
 124     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 883     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     1 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Transit Plans

The biggest thing to watch though IMO is the Scarborough Subway. The SmartTrack plan makes the subway almost completely redundant, and I hope the solution is just simply a branch off the Stouffville line headed to STC. That's the simplest way, and the lest expensive way, to satisfy almost everyone.

Agreed. And I hope we keep the SRT alive and refitted for no other reason than for it to remain as a showcase of affordable and realistic grade-separate light rapid transit.

Personally, I mostly support the idea behind SmartTrack (to use railway corridors where possible). I'm not 100% sold on its current incarnation. It seems it negates the realistic possibility of a downtown crosstown line, or any N/S rapid transit line between Yonge and Kennedy. Just as it will probably become the de facto Scarboro Subway, it might do the same for the DRL as well.

There's quiet a few people on here that think I was mistaken when I said that suburbanites care about faster transit. There's quite a few that even thought I was wrong when I said that Tory's popularity was largely due to Smart Track effectively targeting suburban frustration with mobility.

Just finished an online test. And now I see the results. Holy crap. Can't believe that Etobicoke and Scarborough still broke for Ford so resoundingly. I didn't even see that many Ford signs in Scarborough....

His SmartTrack resonated so much his popularity took the patented Chow-plunge in all Scarborough wards except for the irrelevant one. It's time you took off your Tory blinders and stopped speaking on behalf of all Scarborough residents like you so often do, when you are nothing more than a demonstrably loud (and wrong) minority. The real Toronto wants subways and they spoke loud and clear last night.

His SmartTrack resonated so much his popularity took the patented Chow-plunge in all Scarborough wards except for the irrelevant one. It's time you took off your Tory blinders and stopped speaking on behalf of all Scarborough residents like you so often do, when you are nothing more than a demonstrably loud (and wrong) minority. The real Toronto wants subways and they spoke loud and clear last night.

Yes they did - in the form of the losing candidate. And small irony to ask someone to stop speaking on behalf of Scarborough and then proceed to tell us what "real Toronto" wanted.

AoD

The biggest threat to GO RER at the moment is the 2018 provincial election. If the Liberals aren't reelected it may throw a wrench into the thing. If we're to get this thing built we'll need to get shovels into the ground ASAP.

Agreed. Unfortunately, 4 years is right at the point where construction will be about to start, but not yet started, so still relatively easy to cancel. Pretty much where the Sheppard East LRT was in 2010 or the N-S LRT in Ottawa in 2006. It's a precarious point for a transit project.

Hopefully GO will be able to boost frequencies enough in the meantime that people see some noticeable improvements by 2018, even if it's not electrification.

On a side note though, at least with the elections in Ottawa and Kitchener-Waterloo of pro-LRT mayors neither of those projects (Phase 1 of Ion, Phase 2 of OLRT) are going to be stopped. And by the time the next election rolls around in Ottawa, Phase 1 of the LRT will be open. And once the LRT is open, spending more money to extend it won't be a foreign concept, it'll be an immediate need, so the vote for it hopefully won't be an issue at all.

Well the debate still isn't over for the extension of Line 2. If you believe Spacing Toronto, the thing may come in over budget once the studies are complete. At that point the line may need to be reevaluated.

And of course, by the time that that comes in, the SRT will be even closer to crapping out. Hopefully at that point the GO REX scheme is far enough along and people understand it enough to see the value of building a GO REX spur to STC instead of either the subway or LRT option.

I can't imagine anything less likely than John Tory reimposing the vehicle registration tax. It brought in no where enough money to be worth the hell it created in the minds of those who opposed it.

Well he's going to need to bring in some new taxes eventually. Maybe its about time we introduced a sales tax.

But SmartTrack is a subway just as much as B/D from Main to Kennedy, or Y/US from Rosedale to St Clair is subway. So I don't really get what your point is.

THIS. I sincerely hope this happens.

Simply replace/refurbish the current elevated SRT portion from Ellesmere with a similar elevated track like the UPX spur that runs to Scarborough Centre.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5327/9404369884_17b8f39aec_b.jpg

Have alternating trains run on the spur.

You could even eventually extend it to Centennial College like the original LRT plan.

Yup, that's what I'm hoping would become the eventual plan. Most of the recent fantasy maps that I've produced have that configuration. It just makes so much more sense, and provides and express to downtown option for Scarberians, with an easy connection to various LRTs and the Bloor-Danforth Subway if their destination is somewhere else.

Agreed. And I hope we keep the SRT alive and refitted for no other reason than for it to remain as a showcase of affordable and realistic grade-separate light rapid transit.

Personally, I mostly support the idea behind SmartTrack (to use railway corridors where possible). I'm not 100% sold on its current incarnation. It seems it negates the realistic possibility of a downtown crosstown line, or any N/S rapid transit line between Yonge and Kennedy. Just as it will probably become the de facto Scarboro Subway, it might do the same for the DRL as well.

Yup, I'm not 100% sold on SmartTrack as a whole either, but I like what it can be moulded into. The STC spur off the Stouffville line as an alternative to the subway/LRT debate is just one example. Like you mentioned, replacing the TTC subway DRL with a GO REX DRL is another, since it makes an extension to Richmond Hill Centre a very realistic possibility, which really isn't with a TTC subway (it would be lucky to get to Eglinton). Another option is a rail connection to Square One. A Bloor-Danforth extension to Square One isn't in the cards at all, but a spur from the Milton line to Square One I think is.

From http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/1...de-for-john-torys-fledgling-mayoral-campaign/

The Tory campaign unveiled SmartTrack — a regional, two-way, electrified rail line — on May 27, in the middle of the provincial election. The plan originated in provincial Liberal circles. Both Tom Allison and John Duffy, the campaign’s policy chair, had seen a version of it more than 10 years earlier in then minister Glen Murray’s office. It was, on one level, a significant gamble. Kathleen Wynne was campaigning at the time on a pledge to electrify some Go Train lines. But Tim Hudak and the Progressive Conservatives had made no such promise. If Hudak had won, the Tory camp knew they might be in trouble.

It was also clear quite early that there significant technical issues with SmartTrack. David Soknacki’s campaign identified 14 of them right off the bat. But the Chow campaign made a crucial strategic error in their response to the plan, despite having a leaked copy before it was unveiled. Instead of going after SmartTrack on its merits right away, they tried to peg Mr. Tory as a flip-flopper for abandoning an earlier pledge to build a Yonge Street relief line. The charge never stuck. And by the time Ms. Chow turned her focus to SmartTrack’s technical end, months later, it was too late. It had become a brand.

The biggest line from that entire article with respect to SmartTrack: "The plan originated in provincial Liberal circles. Both Tom Allison and John Duffy, the campaign’s policy chair, had seen a version of it more than 10 years earlier in then minister Glen Murray’s office."

So yup, from the very start it was a Provincial Liberal plan, both implicitly (with respect to what the public was told) and explicitly (within Provincial Liberal circles). Rebranded enough to be different from a PR perspective, but straight from the pages of a version of the GO RER plan.

Not so sure about that. See here.

Tory carried 22 - 40.7% of the vote in all Scarborough wards. He actually polled much higher in Scarborough than in North Etobicoke.

The biggest threat to GO RER at the moment is the 2018 provincial election. If the Liberals aren't reelected it may throw a wrench into the thing. If we're to get this thing built we'll need to get shovels into the ground ASAP.

You need to win the city to win the province and I cannot imagine the Ontario PC stand in the way of GO RER/SmartTrack which would lose their support in the 416 and 905.

I voted for Chow. I hope that John Tory implements some of Olivia Chow's bus plans as mayor before starting up the SmartTrack plan.

Chow's bus plan was not that great.

We haven't heard one bit of Tory's bus plan since way back in April or May. He might've mentioned it once during a debate a week ago if memory recalls but I would like to see those improvements he spoke about back in spring be implemented.

Is the BD extension still planned till Sheppard?

The way I see it, with Smart Track, the BD extension can be a 2-stop extension: Lawrence and STC. That should consolidate ridership a fair bit.

And then you use Smart Track at Agincourt for another Scarborough hub, fed by the SELRT, which can even use a spur to Malvern along the Progress hydro corridor.

You need to win the city to win the province and I cannot imagine the Ontario PC stand in the way of GO RER/SmartTrack which would lose their support in the 416 and 905.

Fully agree. I think everyone just saw that transit policy wins elections in Toronto. And that just promising a bunch of subways which you obviously cannot deliver won't go far.

I expect the PCs will run on a platform of suburban rail. It's the new "subway" as far as politics goes.

The biggest thing to watch though IMO is the Scarborough Subway. The SmartTrack plan makes the subway almost completely redundant, and I hope the solution is just simply a branch off the Stouffville line headed to STC. That's the simplest way, and the lest expensive way, to satisfy almost everyone.
So with 15-minute frequency, then one train every 30 minutes goes to Agincourt and Markham. And one train every 30 minutes goes to Scarborough Centre?

I don't think this will satisfy anyone currently using the SRT.

Well he's going to need to bring in some new taxes eventually. Maybe its about time we introduced a sales tax.
Am I missing something? We just elected a Conservative. He's not going to bring any new taxes. Either they'll push property tax increases a bit, or they make spending cuts.

Back