News   Jul 16, 2024
 176     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 933     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     1 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Transit Plans

Yeah and since SmartTrack was the centrepiece of his platform, to the point where it was even on his lawn signs, he has a mandate to go a head and build it.

It obviously won't be exactly like what was proposed during the election once he negotiates with Metrolinx and studies are started, but the core ideas of using GO RER to provide subway-like service, adding more stations and pricing it attractively for local travel should be his priority.

And the best part is, since Metrolinx is fast-tracking the RER program, Tory will have his SmartTrack promise fulfilled (in some form or another) in a relatively short period of time. I don't think he pulled the 7 years number out of his behind. After all, the Liberal promise was to have the entire network done in 10, and I'm sure the Georgetown corridor at least will be one of the priority ones, since all the infrastructure upgrades required for it will be done by next year. Stouffville may be a bit of a challenge, but at least it's a Metrolinx-owned corridor.

The biggest thing to watch though IMO is the Scarborough Subway. The SmartTrack plan makes the subway almost completely redundant, and I hope the solution is just simply a branch off the Stouffville line headed to STC. That's the simplest way, and the lest expensive way, to satisfy almost everyone.

The other great thing about Smart Tracks is a program that everyone seems to agree with.

Certainly some have said it can't be done in 7 years or can't be done at all but I have yet to hear {except for Chow's last desperate effort} anyone to say anything negative about the concept of it. The vast majority seem to be of the like mind that electrified rail suing current corridors is a good idea as is bringing the GO fares down substantially in the city itself which is basically what Smart Tracks is. You also won't be be getting any of the NIMBY protesters with the concept, quite the contrary. You will find that people along the corridors will embrace the concept wholeheartedly {like Westoners} because it will be useful to them and due to electrification to it will get rid of the pollution and noise from the current diesel fleet. At the same time it will not inhibit car flow.

Miller's TransitCity was quite the opposite. The plan was very controversial from the very start. There were many cheering but the opponents were equally large siting huge disruption during construction, reduced traffic flow, local businesses concerned about hindering access to their business, being too slow, not being grade separated, and not making a dent in anyone's commute times. Many, including myself, say it as more of a street renewal program than a transit system designed as a rapid way to get across the city. There were many legitimate concerns about the plan which Miller didn't acknowledge with his LRT or nothing, my way or the highway approach. When presented with these concerns he simply told everyone "you just don't understand how it works" but the idea that people did understand it and didn't want it never crossed his mind.

TransitCity was also criticized by supporters of the idea as it completely ignored the most congested and fastest growing part of the city........the downtown. In short, the plan divided the city and because of this it was doomed from the start.

Smart Tracks has gotten support due to it being a service that will truly be rapid, affordable, be both meaningful for people in the core and the suburbs, makes use of current corridors, can be built quickly, and offers rapid transit to huge areas of the city and hundreds of thousands of people who don't have it now.

There will of course be debates on vehicles, station locations, frequency, corridor capacity etc but the idea is one that most Torontonians see as both logical and doable and is very much in line with what Queen's Park's vision is as well.

TheTigerMaster is just pissed because his dream of the SRT becoming an LRT will probably be over :rolleyes:

Excuse me? Do not tell others what my motivations are. You do not speak for me. You don't even know me so you're not even in a position to speculate. If you wanted to know my motivations you could ask me, rather than making up bull*hit about me.

Yes, I'm pissed off right now and it has everything to do with you and nothing to do with the SRT... The SRT has been off my radar for quite a while.

Last edited:
I am very tired of the lumping together of all of Etobicoke as one vote.

Ford took Etobicoke's north three wards. Tory took Etobicoke's south three wards.

So, who was it that Etobicoke fully supported again?

Indeed. See link.

Wards 3, 5, and 6 were all taken by Tory. It was pretty close in Ward 3 and 6 though.

TheTigerMaster is just pissed because his dream of the SRT becoming an LRT will probably be over :rolleyes:

So you mean to tell these people that I, the person who for the last few weeks has supported John Tory (a candidate who opposes reverting back to the LRT) is upset that my alleged dream of the SRT becoming LRT is over.

Don't speak for me Juan. Do not tell others what my motivations are. You do not know me. You're not in a position to even speculate about my motivations, let alone tell others what my motivations are.

The other great thing about Smart Tracks is a program that everyone seems to agree with.

Certainly some have said it can't be done in 7 years or can't be done at all but I have yet to hear {except for Chow's last desperate effort} anyone to say anything negative about the concept of it. The vast majority seem to be of the like mind that electrified rail suing current corridors is a good idea as is bringing the GO fares down substantially in the city itself which is basically what Smart Tracks is. You also won't be be getting any of the NIMBY protesters with the concept, quite the contrary. You will find that people along the corridors will embrace the concept wholeheartedly {like Westoners} because it will be useful to them and due to electrification to it will get rid of the pollution and noise from the current diesel fleet. At the same time it will not inhibit car flow.

Miller's TransitCity was quite the opposite. The plan was very controversial from the very start. There were many cheering but the opponents were equally large siting huge disruption during construction, reduced traffic flow, local businesses concerned about hindering access to their business, being too slow, not being grade separated, and not making a dent in anyone's commute times. Many, including myself, say it as more of a street renewal program than a transit system designed as a rapid way to get across the city. There were many legitimate concerns about the plan which Miller didn't acknowledge with his LRT or nothing, my way or the highway approach. When presented with these concerns he simply told everyone "you just don't understand how it works" but the idea that people did understand it and didn't want it never crossed his mind.

TransitCity was also criticized by supporters of the idea as it completely ignored the most congested and fastest growing part of the city........the downtown. In short, the plan divided the city and because of this it was doomed from the start.

Smart Tracks has gotten support due to it being a service that will truly be rapid, affordable, be both meaningful for people in the core and the suburbs, makes use of current corridors, can be built quickly, and offers rapid transit to huge areas of the city and hundreds of thousands of people who don't have it now.

There will of course be debates on vehicles, station locations, frequency, corridor capacity etc but the idea is one that most Torontonians see as both logical and doable and is very much in line with what Queen's Park's vision is as well.

I agree, the LRT vs subway debate and constant flip flopping between the two was tiring and divisive. Tory side-stepped that by supporting something that, at least for now, seems to be supported by almost everyone: rapid transit along GO corridors.

It seems like something that the councillors across the spectrum should hopefully get on board with. Tory's whole message was finding common cause to get things done, and I would think both the left, right and centrist councillors would agree on utilizing GO corridors for rapid transit is a good idea.

I'm glad you pointed out that it can be beneficial to both the core & the suburbs. With stops at Liberty Village and Spadina it should hopefully provide a better way going east-west in downtown.

My hope is we can get on with building transit that makes people's lives easier, and less bickering and changing of plans. Yes I'm optimistic & pretty happy.

Why is this keep being repeated? Tory has said that he isn't against it, but that he wants it to go through the budget chief before approving spending.

Yeah I'm hoping that we'll see the vehicle registration tax, a
among other new taxes, reintroduced this year by Tory. I'm hopeful that he will. Tory seems responsible enough to acknowledge that we need to do something about our city's revenue problem.

My hope is we can get on with building transit that makes people's lives easier, and less bickering and changing of plans. Yes I'm optimistic & pretty happy.

The biggest threat to GO RER at the moment is the 2018 provincial election. If the Liberals aren't reelected it may throw a wrench into the thing. If we're to get this thing built we'll need to get shovels into the ground ASAP.

The biggest thing to watch though IMO is the Scarborough Subway. The SmartTrack plan makes the subway almost completely redundant, and I hope the solution is just simply a branch off the Stouffville line headed to STC. That's the simplest way, and the lest expensive way, to satisfy almost everyone.

Well the debate still isn't over for the extension of Line 2. If you believe Spacing Toronto, the thing may come in over budget once the studies are complete. At that point the line may need to be reevaluated.

I voted for Chow. I hope that John Tory implements some of Olivia Chow's bus plans as mayor before starting up the SmartTrack plan.

When will the Transit City Bus Plan head to council for vote? Will it be part of the budget process in December? Last I heard the TTC approved the plan and it just needs to be approved by Council.

TCBP is an incredible plan, but as always the issue is funding, especially with nearly $500M budget shortfall we have. If I recall correctly, the plan would need another $68 Million in funding/year, something that will be tough to find unless Council is willing to raise taxes.

Yeah I'm hoping that we'll see the vehicle registration tax, a
among other new taxes, reintroduced this year by Tory. I'm hopeful that he will. Tory seems responsible enough to acknowledge that we need to do something about our city's revenue problem.

I think reintroducing the vehicle registration tax is a great idea, especially if it's put to a dedicated purpose (like TTC vehicle purchases) instead of just being used to hold the line on property tax increases. I voted for Tory, and I like his personality, but has he given any indication that he would do something like that? During the campaign he was heavy on the "respect for taxpayers" rhetoric.

I think reintroducing the vehicle registration tax is a great idea, especially if it's put to a dedicated purpose (like TTC vehicle purchases) instead of just being used to hold the line on property tax increases. I voted for Tory, and I like his personality, but has he given any indication that he would do something like that? During the campaign he was heavy on the "respect for taxpayers" rhetoric.
I can't imagine anything less likely than John Tory reimposing the vehicle registration tax. It brought in no where enough money to be worth the hell it created in the minds of those who opposed it.

The SmartTrack plan makes the subway almost completely redundant, and I hope the solution is just simply a branch off the Stouffville line headed to STC. That's the simplest way, and the lest expensive way, to satisfy almost everyone.

THIS. I sincerely hope this happens.

Simply replace/refurbish the current elevated SRT portion from Ellesmere with a similar elevated track like the UPX spur that runs to Scarborough Centre.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5327/9404369884_17b8f39aec_b.jpg

Have alternating trains run on the spur.

You could even eventually extend it to Centennial College like the original LRT plan.

Ironically the other change for Smarttrack I am hopeful of is to replace the Eglinton Spur with the extension of the LRT

http://yongeandegcondos.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/eglinton_lrt_route_diagram11.jpg (see Phase II)

This is simply due to a lack of space in the Eglinton corridor for a heavy rail train, as well as the EA for the Eglinton LRT being complete and it being a much more natural continuation of the LRT rather than having to transfer to this Smarttrack along the same road.

Back