News   Jul 11, 2024
 4.9K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 514     4 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 585     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

There is only one thing I've got against Tory: he didn't run for mayor in 2010. The hypothetical polls taken at the time indicated that he would have won, easily, and he could have prevented the Ford fiasco for us all. It would be pure speculation as to whether Tory would be running now for a second term.
Hypothetical polls said the same thing about David Miller, though I'm not convinced either would have actually defeated Ford in 2010.

If the next few (non Forum) polls have Tory with leads of at least 10%, this race is over.

Saddened that Chow hasn't gotten a boost with the Ford swap. Thought that maybe some "anyone but Ford" backers who were backing Tory because he was poised to keep the clown show out would find it safe to go back to Chow, especially with some of Tory's recent screw ups. Seems people are sticking to their camps, and that the shake up has done little to change opinions.

It's happening, the electronic voting and counting catastrophe that brought us bush in the States.
The only thing strange is that it was the Conservatives who asked for the hand count. Maybe their "glitch" didn't work as planned.
New Brunswick Election
With most of the polls reporting after a tight battle that went well into the night, the tabulation of ballots was suspended Monday around 10:45 p.m. for almost two hours as concerns arose about technical glitches with memory sticks and discrepancies with vote-counting machines.
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...es_neckandneck_in_new_brunswick_election.html

Ha, ha ha
https://twitter.com/bradleywilcox/status/514238785782292480/photo/1
https://twitter.com/Brideau/status/514225474986606592

I have learned not to pay much attention to the polls. All you have to do is look at the Provincial election in June 2014 to see how most polling companies had the Liberals and Cons neck and neck right up until the election.

Last edited:
It's happening, the electronic voting and counting catastrophe that brought us bush in the States.
These are the same machines we use in Toronto aren't they? Listening to the pundits, some are literally the same machines.

So there is still the hand-marked paper ballot. It's only the automatic counting that's messed up. It's not so much electronic voting, but electronic counting as far as I know. If it all goes badly then you can always count every vote by hand. It just takes a bit longer.

Saddened that Chow hasn't gotten a boost with the Ford swap.

Well, in Forum she sorta did--up from 19 to 25, while the other two dropped.

Of course, it depends on how one reads Forum numbers--but remember: everyone was making such a big deal a few weeks back when Forum showed how RoFo "had the momentum". Shouldn't the same be true of Chow? (Even if it "feels different" when even w/momentum, you're still in third)

Hypothetical polls said the same thing about David Miller, though I'm not convinced either would have actually defeated Ford in 2010.

If the next few (non Forum) polls have Tory with leads of at least 10%, this race is over.

David Miller would have wiped the floor with Ford. He was a strong debater, Pantalone would gratefully thrown him his support, and Smitherman imploded. The myth of Ford was built as much by his opponents (terrible) as the man himself (held himself together for a few months.)

When someone else wins this election (probably Tory), the tide goes out on the Fords and we'll see they're swimming without trunks. Doug can't get accepted by a provincial or federal party, Rob will never take office due to his health problems, Mikey the pawn will lose, and the Fords will sink back into the ooze.

David Miller would have wiped the floor with Ford. He was a strong debater, Pantalone would gratefully thrown him his support, and Smitherman imploded. The myth of Ford was built as much by his opponents (terrible) as the man himself (held himself together for a few months.)

When someone else wins this election (probably Tory), the tide goes out on the Fords and we'll see they're swimming without trunks. Doug can't get accepted by a provincial or federal party, Rob will never take office due to his health problems, Mikey the pawn will lose, and the Fords will sink back into the ooze.
David Miller was beating Ford in polls actually. He would have won. Which is why I blame him as well. He should have stayed in 2010.

To be fair, I don't think anyone had a clue as to how terrible Ford would be as mayor.
Oh, plenty of us had a clue. All you had to do was watch him as a councillor for all those years. Granted, the personal shenanigans went even further than expected.

To be fair, I don't think anyone had a clue as to how terrible Ford would be as mayor.

Only if you hadn't been following municipal politics. Otherwise the signs were all there, incompetence, policy failures and even the drunkedness. Only surprises were the consorting with gangs and crack smoking.

Last edited:

Oh, plenty of us had a clue. All you had to do was watch him as a councillor for all those years. Granted, the personal shenanigans went even further than expected.

Only if you hadn't been following municipal politics. Otherwise the signs were all there, incompetence, policy failures and even the drunkedness. Only surprises were the consorting with gangs and crack smoking.

If you didn't care about politics, then you didn't know. There are more people then just Ford who cat like this.
Is Scarborough purposely trying to be the redheaded stepchild....Forum Poll Scarborough 50% D Ford 22% J Tory 22% O Chow...

Ford is paying attention to them, the narrative is that no one else does.

A little while I tried to go way way back in the "Rob Ford's Toronto" thread, to read the comments of us horrified Torontonians prior to the 2010 election -- but my patience wore out. See if you have the patience. Many people were predicting chaos of the worst type in the event that RoFo were to win, and I was one of those folks who were grossed out at the prospect of RoFo as mayor - I said RoFo would be in way over his head if he won. I get your point, though, Tulse - RoFo surpassed any and all of our estimations of what "bad" really is.

Back