News   Jul 05, 2024
 48     0 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 843     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

I was hoping this religious conversation was going to be deleted by the mods. I stayed away for a long time but it is frustrating from a religious persons perspective to constantly read by some members on here how stupid and archaic we faith based people are.

Well, you are incorrect to say that we are having a religious conversation. We are having a political conversation about John Tory. It was Tory who brought religion into politics, so your beef should be with him. Others are actually taking the position that his political agenda to publicly fund religious schools was a good idea...and therefore debunking that idea is a legitimate thread topic.

Your bias is getting better of you....asking mods to delete posts pointing out past political mistakes made by a mayoral candidate in a thread about a mayoral race is wrong.

There is only one thing I've got against Tory: he didn't run for mayor in 2010. The hypothetical polls taken at the time indicated that he would have won, easily, and he could have prevented the Ford fiasco for us all. It would be pure speculation as to whether Tory would be running now for a second term.

Just on actual looks and appearance alone, Tory can come across very statesman-like. Then he opens his mouth, and the longer he talks the faster that statesmen image disappears for me.

I don't believe Tory is a racist or bigot. I'd have discovered these things on my own by now. I feel that Tory would be a good administrator and that is the job requirement. Having said that, I still haven't made my final choice but I'll give you this: I'm pretty bugged with Chow's poor performance to this point, and I need to cast an anti-FordMuppet vote.

Doug needs to have his beloved enema come oct. Tory and Chow are not impressing me, and unless Thug get's a late surge in his %, I'm considering voting for Morgan Baskin for merryl. At least she appears to want the job for the right reasons. But easy bet says it's probably Chow or Tory at least for one term. Then hopefully Domise will run in 2018 if he doesn't win in ward 2.

It looks like this thread is getting back on track. If there are specific posts that anyone has a problem with, please report them. I've already done some light pruning.
I'll watch the thread closely for the next little (and I am sure others will too).

EDIT: Pruned more from the thread. A bit of debate related to creationism (especially as they applied to Tory's religious school funding platform as OPC leader) was okay. But it really did get derailed for a bit.

Last edited:
It looks like this thread is getting back on track. If there are specific posts that anyone has a problem with, please report them. I've already done some light pruning.
I'll watch the thread closely for the next little (and I am sure others will too).

EDIT: Pruned more from the thread. A bit of debate related to creationism (especially as they applied to Tory's religious school funding platform as OPC leader) was okay. But it really did get derailed for a bit.

Agreed, I hate derailed threads. I will stop now. Thankfully, I think we can all agree that it is nice to live in a democracy where the people will speak.

Anyway... did anyone see the poll results?
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ntos-mayoral-race-poll-shows/article20717991/
The two polls were published by Mainstreet Technologies on Monday morning.

The mayoral race results:

John Tory: 40 per cent

Olivia Chow: 25 per cent

Doug Ford: 23 per cent

Undecided: 11 per cent

Olivia has lost already.
John Tory still holds a commanding advantage in the Toronto mayoral race, with Doug Ford and Olivia Chow fighting it out for a distant second place according to a new poll released Monday.

And Michael Ford, the 20-year-old nephew of Rob and Doug Ford who is running for a seat on the public school board, is struggling against the incumbent.
More Related to this Story

Chow targets Tory as her campaign shifts left

Voters should know that after Fords, there would be no deluge

How everything went wrong for Olivia Chow

Toronto mayoral candidate Olivia Chow emphasized her progressive credentials at Presteign-Woodbine United Church in Toronto on Monday, July 28, 2014.
Video
Video: Chow and Tory get feisty during Fordless debate

Video
Video: Toronto mayoral race shaken up as Chow, Tory target Doug Ford

Video
Video: What can we look for when Doug Ford hits the campaign trail?

The two polls were published by Mainstreet Technologies on Monday morning.

The interactive voice response poll surveyed 2,469 people on Sunday – an unusually large sample size that yielded a margin of error of plus or minus 1.98 per cent, 19 times out of 20.

As in previous polls, Mr. Tory fares best among older voters (who are traditionally more likely to actually show up and cast a vote).

But this poll contradicts previous surveys when it breaks down voters by gender. The Mainstreet survey finds Olivia Chow has more support among male voters, while Mr. Tory’s support skewed slightly higher among females.

Mainstreet’s poll of school trustee support in Ward 1, meanwhile, shows Michael Ford struggling to capitalize on the family’s exceptional name recognition.

The 20-year-old employee of the Ford family’s Deco Labels & Tags is trailing incumbent John Hastings in Ward 1, the poll found, although the gap between the two is roughly the same as the poll’s margin of error.

John Hastings: 26 per cent

Michael Ford: 22 per cent

Others: 13 per cent

Undecided: 38 per cent

The large bloc of undecided voters is typical in an opinion poll of support for school trustees. Fewer people mark their ballots for school trustees than for mayoral and city council candidates and the contests receive far less attention from voters and news media.

The sample size of 572 people came with a margin of error of plus or minus 4.07 per cent, 19 out of 20.

~~~
Olivia has more support among male voters, and John women. But the polls stay the same.

That will be my last comment on this. This has been an interesting discussion, but let's get back on topic.

But but but you pruned my C.S.Lewis plug. So sad I really wanted to be on a board that had Extreme and C.S.Lewis on one page. I kid. We deserved it.(read The Screwtape Letters its great)

am already fed up with the media coverage, why the hell are they standing outside a hospital? How much info can you get standing on a sidewalk looking like a prat? This just confirms my belief that the media really enjoy the Ford's, they have become the Kardashians of the political world. 5 weeks left of this and no way to hold press accountable for their interfering/diversions. Don't even get me started about the polls, interesting chatter but a large grain of salt when you consider them.

i immediately recalled Screwfly Solution... which now leads me to contemplate how one might target the elimination of nutjobs genetically... and on this topic, if you're into science fiction i heartily recommend the recent Goliath Stone by Larry Niven and some guy

Im not normally a sci-fi reader but if I hear from multiple sources I usually give it a whirl and another friend has mentioned this book. Ill give a full report.

Reading this forum for a while it amuses people put so much stock into Chow.

Pretty much she is not as capable to be a mayor of the biggest city in Canada and has no real plans to do anything.
Rather have a mayor focused on transit then on grand issues beyond her control like gun control and income inequality.
I think most people see that she is simply a figurehead for the downtown councilors to take control of the agenda.

I would dislike to go from 4 years of the crazy suburbans and then have people like Vaghan running things with his snobbish for all things suburban.
There has to be a medium.

welcome to the thread, dude

newsflash, adam vaughan (please note spelling) is no longer a councillor

also, it is the job of city council -- all 45 of them -- to "take control of the agenda"

let me guess, by focussing on transit you mean doug ford, right?

because john tory has a focus on everything (and hence, nothing)

Back