News   Jul 22, 2024
 213     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 987     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 4.2K     7 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

Although he did work for her during her time as TTC Chair, Boutros was never on Stintz's mayoral campaign staff; he stepped down as her Senior Adviser in February 2014. Anyway, he's now a candidate in Ward 16 as you suggest.

Is he a placeholder? Don't know. Certainly possible, although he is currently playing up his community credentials on his website, and it looks like a credible & sincere candidacy on the face of it. I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt, although I believe that he is strongly loyal to her. I can also believe that Stintz would consider filling his suddenly-vacated Ward 16 shoes as an acceptable Plan B.

So yes - given his loyalty and her rising political star (well, look at it from her point of view for a second!) it does seem quite likely that this is their backup plan, but that he is also serious about being Ward 16 Councillor and is hoping to be her primary Council ally when she is elected Mayor (no, I don't see that happening either).

Of course, if he does turn out to be acting as a placeholder for Stintz, I'd imagine he has no ambition to hold elected office in the future - that'd be Grade A attack fodder right there ("How can we be sure you're serious this time, when back in 2014 you were a fake candidate?" and so on).

Appreciate the detail and concision of your response. And the dryness of your asides. Thanks.

Wonder if the candidates will have mascots to cheer them on?
mascots.jpg

Wonder who would have a mascot similar like this?
12253.jpg

Speaking of which, what is Boutros (Stintz staff guy) doing? Is he running in Stintz' ward? If so, is it as a loyal soldier/placeholder until the inevitable happens. If so, it would be kind of funny if he figured he had a shot and refused to step aside.

Boutros has already registered as a candidate for Ward 16 so Stintz has put herself in pretty much a no win situation hasn't she...it is mayor or nothing...either that or she will be a true turncoat...just think of the bloodletting.... hanging Boutros out to dry if she falls back to run for Councillor, after him campaigning for Ward 16 for months, while she was tilting at windmills to be mayor

Boutros has already registered as a candidate for Ward 16 so Stintz has put herself in pretty much a no win situation hasn't she...it is mayor or nothing...either that or she will be a true turncoat...just think of the bloodletting.... hanging Boutros out to dry if she falls back to run for Councillor, after him campaigning for Ward 16 for months, while she was tilting at windmills to be mayor

If she were to run for her old seat and win, I hope she at least keeps him as a staff member. If not, then her true colours would show!

This is an interesting piece in the Star.

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2014/03/22/toronto_election_campaigns_one_enigma_is_john_tory_james.html

"For now, it’s the Big 3 that deserve focus.

We know exactly what we’ll get from Ford. Unless she deviates from the playbook, Chow’s course is well mapped. Tory is the enigma. He must clearly define himself — and soon — or it’s a two-way race and many Torontonians are without an alternative."

That says to me that there is a reason why Tory hasn't come out swinging that hard yet. I think his campaign advisers are waiting until mid to late summer for the campaign to really explode all over Toronto and to ride that wave until October 27th. Tory should stay an enigma for now and run like a dark horse candidate. The Tory team know Ford will run on loud, silly slogans and they know Chow will campaign hard and soak up the media exposure until Tory's team feel it's time to put the campaign into full drive to over shadow all other candidates. I have a feeling the Tory team is really crafting a winning strategy.

Royson James has labelled Tory as a centrist in that article, which I kind of agree with. I have a feeling that Tory's campaign will shift itself to the centre and try to establish itself as a big-tent option to Ford and Chow. These next few months should be interesting!

This is an interesting piece in the Star.

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2014/03/22/toronto_election_campaigns_one_enigma_is_john_tory_james.html

"For now, it’s the Big 3 that deserve focus.

We know exactly what we’ll get from Ford. Unless she deviates from the playbook, Chow’s course is well mapped. Tory is the enigma. He must clearly define himself — and soon — or it’s a two-way race and many Torontonians are without an alternative."

That says to me that there is a reason why Tory hasn't come out swinging that hard yet. I think his campaign advisers are waiting until mid to late summer for the campaign to really explode all over Toronto and to ride that wave until October 27th. Tory should stay an enigma for now and run like a dark horse candidate. The Tory team know Ford will run on loud, silly slogans and they know Chow will campaign hard and soak up the media exposure until Tory's team feel it's time to put the campaign into full drive to over shadow all other candidates. I have a feeling the Tory team is really crafting a winning strategy.

Great read. Sums it up succinctly. This is JT's race to lose. He's the only credible candidate in the pack. All he need to do is talk up the DRL with some real authority and he will run away with it.

Results will be:

1. John Tory (mayor)
2. Rob 'I did not have sex with that crack pipe' Ford
3. Olivia 'bus 'em & tax 'em' Chow

Great read. Sums it up succinctly. This is JT's race to lose. He's the only credible candidate in the pack. All he need to do is talk up the DRL with some real authority and he will run away with it.

Results will be:

1. John Tory (mayor)
2. Rob 'I did not have sex with that crack pipe' Ford
3. Olivia 'bus 'em & tax 'em' Chow

The more elections you lose, the more credible you are.

This is JT's race to lose. He's the only credible candidate in the pack.

This would be the guy who lost three other elections (including one for mayor), has held public office for only two years, and lost the election in his riding while leader of his party...TWICE.

"Credible"? Really? I don't know why anyone takes this empty suit seriously.

Karen Stinz made a stop by at Woody's in the Church/Wellesley village tonight. I got a quick picture with her, along with a quick chat. So surprised to see her, and so glad she was so open to all diversities in Toronto. Seriously, such a wonderful candidate.

92ea4396b23e11e3a63d125e5d714412_8.jpg

Karen Stinz made a stop by at Woody's in the Church/Wellesley village tonight. I got a quick picture with her, along with a quick chat. So surprised to see her, and so glad she was so open to all diversities in Toronto. Seriously, such a wonderful candidate.

92ea4396b23e11e3a63d125e5d714412_8.jpg
And you don't think she is campaigning? Even if politicians are not open to diversity they will not show it (except for Ford)

Back