News   Jul 16, 2024
 635     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 575     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 716     2 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

We're doomed...

One of the morning news shows (doesn't matter which one, they are all equally vapid) asked some people in the street if they knew who was running for mayor. Maybe one or two people was able to name another candidate besides Ford. The rest stumbled to name ONE other freakin' candidate ("Kim?").

If this is in any way representative of the brainpower out there, we are completely, utterly, indubitably DOOMED.

Is it that she isn't afraid to raise taxes in order to pay for social programming (not trying to be crass here. It's a legitimate question)? A long time ago I considered supporting Chow but I have a few issues with her:

- I don't believe in the tax and spend model. Toronto is largely a city of commerce, and I'd be more than glad to have private/public partnerships to pay for our initiatives and endeavours.

A lot of people (myself included) don't trust unelected, unaccountable businesses driven by profit to provide basic social services. A lot of our public services are run extremely well, such as child care which has much better standards safety records than the private options. But beyond this, the private sector is simply not going to "pay for our initiatives and endeavours" - as Ford has discovered with transit. Finally, a lot of privatization translates to union-busting. At a time when economic inequality is one of the most pressing issues the city faces, do we want to further trade middle-class jobs for low-wage jobs?

- I truly believe that regardless of personal sentiments we ought to have a mayor that can compromise. I don't like the idea that because you have majority support in council (or parliament) that it is okay to ram through legislation. In order to harbour a culture of civility it is best to compromise. I sincerely doubt Olivia Chow would compromise and work with councilors that think differently from her.

Chow is known for deal making. That's why she held committee chairs under the Lastman administration. Both her and Layton were known on council for trading support with other councilors in order to get their own priorities passed. In this sense, she is very different than Miller.

- Quite simply, I don't see her as being a leader. She isn't the best communicator (no, I am not talking about her accent. We live in Toronto. Accents are embraced here!). She strikes me as being rather divisive, and I don't like to see that (even if I did agree with her).

If you can't put your finger on it, maybe you should reflect more on it. In job interviews all over the country, minority females are being passed over for white males because they just don't *seem* like leadership material. That's not a personal attack on you. We have all be socialized in a society where leaders are overwhelmingly white men. Our gut feelings are just expressions of our socialization. As a shadow cabinet minister in the federal opposition, a member of the NDP's leadership during the "orange wave", and a committee chairperson in the City of Toronto, Chow has one of the strongest leadership resumes among the other candidates.

- Lastly, I worry that her term in office would be followed by the election of a slash 'n' burn conservative that is here to A) change the direction of Toronto public policy (in a resentful reaction to the socially progressive initiatives of Chow) and B) fix the deficit (this I cannot prove will occur, but I believe under Chow it is likely to occur - I'm more than glad to discuss this point with anyone here).

Toronto is legally prohibited from running a deficit, so you don't have to worry about that. And if no one ever enacted socially progressive policies because they were worried about a backlash, our society would never have progressed.

^Calm down the race is just starting. The public facing campaigns haven't really started yet. As we get closer to Election Day people will know who the candidates are.

This is complete redundancy. We shouldn't have two departments to do the exact same thing. The EMS have better training and are better equipped to provide emergency medical care. We should be transferring resources from the fire department to the paramedics. And during the budget debates last year, it was mentioned that reports show that the EMS arrives, on average, faster than the fire department these days. And really, why are we sending these gigantic fire trucks to medical emergencies anyway?

Actually no, that's not entirely true. Fire trucks have certain lifesaving equipment that ambulances don't. Also most fire personnel have the same training has EMS workers. If they get called to assist someone who is over 400 lbs, you're going to need all the man power there is to lift the person out of the house or down the stairs as there is only two medics to an ambulance.

Actually no, that's not entirely true. Fire trucks have certain lifesaving equipment that ambulances don't. Also most fire personnel have the same training has EMS workers. If they get called to assist someone who is over 400 lbs, you're going to need all the man power there is to lift the person out of the house or down the stairs as there is only two medics to an ambulance.

I agree with merging Toronto Fire and Toronto EMS as they are complementary services, but there are lots of good reasons for sending fire trucks to medical calls. Someone should have a good look at it all to simplify and harmonize dispatching and service delivery, but not for the sole sake of cutting costs.

Gabe, as a Paramedic, I feel inclined to give you some facts, as your understanding of the services TFS and TEMS provide are a little off.

In your previous post you mentioned firefighters are trained as EMTs, this is false. In fact, Canada does not even have an ''EMT'' designation. Firefighters have 2 weeks of ''medical training'', akin to a lifeguard. Essentially they can do CPR, can assist in basic delivery of a baby, and they can give oxygen.
A paramedic has minimum 2 years of intensive training in the class room, as well as about 8 months training with paramedics on ambulances.
To see what a Paramedic can do you can read here:
http://www.ontarioparamedic.ca/paramedics/
When you're having a heart attack or a stroke, or any other number of medical emergencies you want a paramedic, not a firefighter.

Firefighters used to be sent to most ambulance calls as a way to ''stop the clock'' until an ambulance arrived. The belief was that because there are so many of them, and they are usually in their station, they would get there first. Unfortunately, statistics showed that ambulances arrived first to these calls around 70% of the time.
More important however, stats also showed that firefighters were ''ineffective'' on up to 98% of medical calls they were sent on. As a result, Sunnybrook, which runs Toronto's pre-hospital care program, removed firefighter first response from a number of types of calls.
The only ones they were left on are one's where they were found to be able to provide a critical intervention in > 1% of cases.

Merging of the two services has time and time again been proven to be completely impractical, uneconomical, and most importantly provides no positive impact to patients.

For some reading if you like,
Here is the summary of the independent study by POMAX advising against a merger and advocating for an increase in Paramedics and ambulances on the road.
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2013/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-59902.pdf

Here is the study that led to the reduction in fire-fighter response to medical calls.
https://www.msdsb.net/images/EMS/re...around medical tiered response in ontario.pdf

Last edited:
For some reading if you like,
Here is the summary of the independent study by POMAX advising against a merger and advocating for an increase in Paramedics and ambulances on the road.
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2...file-59902.pdf

I read it over and agree with it.

This was from last year http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-ems-overwhelmed-understaffed-says-report-1.1959591 Toronto EMS overwhelmed, understaffed, says report

Woman dies after waiting 3 hours for ambulance http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/woman-dies-after-waiting-3-hours-for-ambulance-1.1310971?autoplay=true

A Toronto man who had to lie outside in the cold with a badly broken leg for nearly an hour before an ambulance arrived says the city's Emergency Medical Service (EMS) is failing its residents.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...g-waited-hour-in-cold-for-ambulance-1.1313809

Why is there such a large funding gap between EMS and the police and fire? It will be interesting to know where the candidates stand on this issue.

Who has Ford voter contact list?

AdamCF 11:02am via Blaq for BlackBerry® 10
Doug Ford confirms long-time rumour that @NickKouvalis has Ford's voter contact list--the foundation of a campaign.

I love this...

Adam C-F ‏@AdamCF 2h
(Rumour is that @NickKouvalis was paid so little by Ford that the deal is he would own the voter contact list. Penny wise, pound foolish.)

If Chow doesn't run and I'm forced to choose between a field of conservatives, I think I'd go with Soknacki based solely on the fact that he's willing to call out the TPS for what it is: a bloated, inefficient money pit that needs some major restructuring (throw the fire service in there as well - why are we paying for fire trucks to show up when someone's having a stroke or a heart attack??). Just like it took Nixon to open relations with China and Thatcher to become the first woman Prime Minister, we may need a conservative to take on the TPS (a conservative who is himself not subject to an ongoing investigation, that is).
As of right now, I'd pick Soknacki over anyone else. If Chow enters, that could easily sway me, but I have no real hint of her platform yet.

While I do think the political spectrum plays a role in municipal politics, I feel it to be less so than other levels and that people should really focus on the issues, the ideas, the ability to get stuff done, instead of where someone thinks someone else sits on the spectrum. For instance, I shoot left, but realize Soknacki shoots right and I'm fine with that.

The NDP are known for having poor fiscal policy (and I'm not just saying that on a whim. I've studied their policies and platforms).
In Ontario there's a case for that. Much less so with NDP governments out west who have often been the most fiscally responsible.

Back