2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

10013103_1488672984726027_248673469_n.jpg

http://iconosquare.com/p/816281641403560985_2565524

Attachments

• 10013103_1488672984726027_248673469_n.jpg
    10013103_1488672984726027_248673469_n.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 404
Just reading about it.

On one hand, how can Doug Ford, of all people make comments like that about John Tory?

On the other hand, surely much of what Doug said about Tory's background is true.

Doug is not the fool Rob was. John Tory has to answer to this. Doug is a total hypocrite as you said be that neither here or there right at this moment.

Chow's BS earlier this week about TTC taking money from elevators and using them on the Scarborough subway suggests otherwise.

Or last night when she was claiming the Tory's SmartTrack would turn 90 degrees on Eglinton and bulldoze down whole neighborhoods.

Not to mention the whole guns and mothers on strollers thing. She is a panderer and full of rhetoric just like the rest of them, people just need to take off their lenses to see it. A career politician through and through.

Or last night when she was claiming the Tory's SmartTrack would turn 90 degrees on Eglinton and bulldoze down whole neighborhoods.

Not to mention the whole guns and mothers on strollers thing. She is a panderer and full of rhetoric just like the rest of them, people just need to take off their lenses to see it. A career politician through and through.
You have soured on Liv Chow Wisla...

The benefit of being apolitically active is being able to take everything into context and not have dogma cloud judgment. :)

Being the de facto progressive choice in the race does not equate with being the correct or best choice. Dogma and ideologues don't help at the municipal level and if anything, slows progress down. Chow is a far cry from being a stellar candidate and I am not afraid of calling it out.

I've heard this before. For elections, promotions, etc. Not sure how true it is (in application exclusively to women). A woman who isn't nice, gets the b*tch label. Guy who isn't nice gets the assh*le label. I don't think there's a circumstance where not being nice helps. In general, people just like others who are happy and smiling. Doubly so for politicians. This is why RoFo did well. Despite all his other failings.

But remember that in the recent Ontario election, it was *Hudak* who was paradoxically disadvantaged by way of gender (and "genderesque" issues)

+1. If Chow interrupts the debate to lay down a fiery put down -- "Go back to China? You crawl back under your rock. Toronto is MY city, where I grew up. Nobody 's chasing me away from MY city!" -- she wins the night hands down. "I didn't hear it" when everyone else did? It's just poor politics.

Actually, if I were to place myself in her position, I can see how it's possible to "not hear it": being too preoccupied with the debate proper, it can be easy for such things from the audience to "not register". (And I don't know how inured she is to "go back to China"-type slurs at this point.)

So, I got autocalled last night and invited to join an in progress RoFo town hall. I managed to last around half an hour before having to hang up. Here's some of the notable highlights/lies.

He and his brother got 99% of their agenda through council in the last four years. He also cherry picked some council votes to try and demonstrate he can work with council to get things passed.

LRT's are second class transit and Scarborough deserves better, because since downtown has subways, Scarborough and Etobicoke deserve them too.

Said John Tory supports Eglinton connects - IIRC John Tory said he was opposed to it because it took lanes away from cars.

He would setup a committee to monitor bike lanes and turf the ones not being used enough. But he did pledge 100km of bike paths in parks.

And of course - John Tory and Olivia Chow live downtown and they don't care about Scar. or Etob.

The whole thing was a staged event with staff throwing out easy questions, interspersed with some real questions from Ford Nation. I was surprised I lasted 30 minutes actually. It was the worst demonstration of petty, scummy politics I've ever heard. He really tried to feed the anger of suburban residents that they were somehow getting screwed with LRT's and they aren't worth building because you'll need to build something better in 20 years. It was all based on emotions, no real studies or analysis obviously.

View attachment 34361

Are we pretending there isn't a group of people who think we should all be able to carry guns anywhere? Though judging by the lack of reaction on this in Toronto, there's few if any here.

And yet we still seem to be debating it. Such a proposal sends a message to Ottawa. That's all. I don't see the harm in sending a message.

Uggh. Nonsense. It's like U of T banning guns on campus. All the accomplished was getting the pistol shooting team shut down. A team that was active for 88 years and produced an olympian:

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/toronto/story.html?id=2fa8cc18-d1a3-4169-b65f-9cb7e7f4fcc3&p=1

You want to control guns? Good. Restrict their sales. Make owners liable for offences committed with their arms if their storage was deficient in any way. Don't allow concealed carry for any civilians. I'd even consider specific allowances for urban and rural areas. Rural residents can keep their guns at home (ie. for protection from wild animals). But mandate that urban residents store guns at licensed ranges and storage facilities. This way, their use can be tracked. And of course, no automatic weapons for anybody but the military (even most police forces don't need them). Those are ways to control guns. Not shutting down athletic pistol shooters because of some value-based arguments against guns.

Why do I feel like Doug is winning right now?

He might have certainly broken some of Tory's momentum. Winning? Not so sure.

I don't know why Tory was whining. He should give it back. He should call the Ford's out on their privileged lifestyle and the fact that they ran a multi-million dollar company right through their terms on council.

Back