News   Jul 11, 2024
 5.1K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 745     5 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 726     1 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

Then you're not asking the right question. ;) No really, you want a logical answer to a logical question yes? Except that politics is not all about logic, and perception makes reality in this game. But here is an answer. Anything, and everything. You name it, and the feeling was if it's anything for downtown, it was being subsidized by the suburbs, while the burbs gets nothing. It's not logical, it's emotional.
It makes no sense though. Are people who live in the suburbs particularly stupid or something?

It was in the summer. It created a literal stench. People were more than slightly inconvenienced by garbage piling up, because in reality not everyone in the burbs has a two car garage and tons of space. That stink fair or not, became associated with Miller. I mean in an almost pavlovian way. The only way Miller could have made the burbs angrier was if he personally threw a dirty diaper at people's face and yelled "that's what I think of the suburbs!! AHAHAHAhaha it's Miller Time!"
It makes no sense though. Are people who live in the suburbs particularly stupid or something?

The way you say it, the suburbs deserver a piece of shit like Ford.

There was lengthy conversation in this thread about Tory not supporting Pride.
On Friday he promised to defund it if a group that has every right to show up at the parade shows up.

Now he says the opposite?

The man will agree to anything. Are people not disturbed by such shallow convictions?

On Friday he promised to defund it if a group that has every right to show up at the parade shows up.

The man will agree to anything. Are people not disturbed by such shallow convictions?

So now you got that out of your system, tell us how you think Doug did in the debate.

picard-facepalm-1024x673.jpg

Last edited:

I don't know if you were watching the debate, but on that question Tory did not in any way, shape or form looked against Pride. He looked the complete opposite, proud of Pride.

They voted for Ford. They will re-elect Ford in Ward 2. They get what they deserve.

Mark my words, this will become an epic battle between Ford and Tory. Expect Ford's popularity to rise to about 36-38% while Tory's will fall down into the same range. Chow will remain stalled around 25% or so IMO. If you guys don't want another 4 years of Ford style leadership than vote for Tory. It's your only chance.

They voted for Ford. They will re-elect Ford in Ward 2. They get what they deserve.

Here's the problem with that. Everyone else in TO can get what "they" deserve too if any Fords gets a seat. The last 4 years should be ample reminder that it's hard to contain Fofam toxicity and corrosiveness to just one area. Ford pitting burbs vs downtown is a game where only one faction comes out victorious. And it's not the city, and residents of either suburbia or urban core. It's the Fords.

Last edited:
It's hard to see how Toronto will ever have a woman mayor if our debates always end up being shouting matches in front of heckling crowds.

Maybe a woman will run with a backbone, who doesn't fall back onto "think of the children" as a response. Who doesn't run a terrible campaign, with ideas that turn off a large portion of the city.

Doug is having a hard time answering a direct question. Keeps evading them, or even lying.

Chow having a hard time getting her answers out. The hecklers in the audience keep on interrupting her.

Tory is the big winner at this debate.

Well yeah but it was just nfitz evolving

:D

Doug is having a hard time answering a direct question. Keeps evading them, or even lying.

Chow having a hard time getting her answers out. The hecklers in the audience keep on interrupting her.

Tory is the big winner at this debate.
Did you watch the same debate. Doug only failed on one question. He answered everything else in detail. Doug won.

Last edited:
David Miller would have wiped the floor with Ford.
I'll buy that Miller could have won a close race, but not that he would have blown Ford away.

I thought Tory won tonight's debate pretty easily. Ford had more crowd reaction (no doubt because he had more supporters there), but I thought he came across like a cheap huckster. Not much to say about Chow since she made little impression on me.

Back