News   Jul 22, 2024
 281     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 356     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1K     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

@salsa

My support of the Island airport lies on several fronts. Jobs is one of them. I don't think this city can sustain itself on developing condos forever. Beyond that it's about mobility for me. That airport makes regional air travel accessible by transit. Great for business. Great for anybody like me that lives downtown or anywhere east of downtown. Not so sure that UPX will change much at the price they want to charge. And I don't buy the noise complaints. I live at Bathurst/Fort York. Condo facing the waterfront. Never had issues with noise from the airport. Overall, I don't get how a community that's all for better transit is willing to throw existing transport infrastructure under the proverbial bus.

As for Tory, I think he's malleable. I think SmartTrack will end up being some kind of advanced GO proposal with TTC integration. And I do think he's not opposed to other modes (like biking). He just doesn't emphasise it. In short, he's not willing to touch anything controversial like the LRTs and the Scarborough subway or bike lanes. Settled issues as far as he's concerned. And I don't mind that. It means progress. Instead of endless debates. Though, I do believe that the subway might change if Smart Track goes through.

My big issue with Olivia Chow is a fear that she is going to use the mayoral chair to push issues that really should be provincial concerns. And that will detract from, what should be priority #1, for the next several mayoral terms.

What happened with Dionne (I refuse to spell her name in caps like she tells me to) Renee at the debate this morning? I saw some tweets saying she was removed by security. At the debate last week she was part of she was yelling a lot and also demanded that Ford, Chow, Soknacki and Tory allow herself and Lee to be part of this and other debates. She's apparently in the film industry and felt she should be there.

BwpVBm8IIAAH1W9.jpg

https://twitter.com/AndrewTumilty/status/507311395818708992/photo/1

Attachments

• BwpVBm8IIAAH1W9.jpg
    BwpVBm8IIAAH1W9.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 517

Kinsella doesn't know when to shut up. It's really astounding. He's been at the forefront of a totally disastrous campaign that took his candidate from frontrunner to third place, he's alienated many Chow supporters with his pompous windbaggery on social media, and then he made an embarrassing, rookie mistake that Tory was able to hit Chow with. But she's supposed to "have his back"?

It's amazing that somebody who called the Ontario election so poorly can still be so smug. With friends like Kinsella, progressives in Ontario don't need enemies.

I like SmartTrack because I believe regional rail is a priority that needs to be addressed before more subway or LRT expansion. And I believe that because I think that will really make a difference to the commute times of working class parents from the burbs. That doesn't however mean that I'm opposed to more LRT in the long run. Heck, I won't complain if the Feds and Queen's Park want to build LRTs at no cost to taxpayers in Toronto.
I agree with you on the regional rail and am quite pleased at what the provincial Liberals actually promised this summer election, but I have great skepticism of Tory's SmartTrack as a plan, much of it summed up by this image:

CJlwNiI.png

(Ignore cancelled LRT portions)

Tory's plan doesn't seem very good and has lots of obvious faults with it. The spur on Eglinton West doesn't make any sense, it makes the Sheppard Subway ridership pointless, it costs several times more than already promised GO electrification project by the Liberals (which we back in spring were recently astounded by as a plan) without really 'adding' much to it, Tory gives no solutions on funding it, and lastly, I don't see why the province will allow Tory to get credit for their GO electrification project. I do like the fare integration though, if anything is to be salvaged from Tory's SmartTrack plan, it is that.

I also don't quite agree that regional rail should be a municipal project. I think the jurisdiction of regional rail should be primarily at the provincial level. Lobbying the provincial government for those LRT and Subway lines and more importantly, the DRL, is what a mayoral candidate should be doing.

Re: RoFo's subway proposals (Sheppard and Finch???!!!, at no cost to voters, and throw in the DRL too, lowball prices):

Even though this should be Ford's final insult to intelligent types, there is probably more drivel to come from him during the campaign. I can't count how many ways RoFo's proposal is stupid, stupid, stupid. I wonder if he hatched that proposal in a drug induced stupor. Yup, I really wonder exactly that. The worst part is that he has occupied the mayor's office for nearly 4 years and has waited for a campaign (i.e. being pushed into a corner) to say just exactly what routes he was favouring.

Come Oct 27 we will know exactly how many really stupid voters there are in Toronto - just behold the RoFo tally when he loses that day. Gawd what a dickweed RoFo is. More unbelievable by the day.

Wow, Tory's destroying Ford in this debate. He seems to have figured out how to make Ford's bluster look silly instead of sincere.

Back