News   Jul 22, 2024
 210     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 370     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 423     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

I don't think all this free wifi is a good thing. People should pay for that. Wifi is not a daily necessity and it is a stretch to say "the poor people need wifi to live".

I think this would benefit everyone....business people, students, tourists. It would give Toronto an edge. I also don't think the cost would be all that much, and I imagine it would involve private sector anyway. I think the TTC should have no upfront user fee either...but we aren't quite ready for that yet.

Wow did I regret clicking that link. Reading that site that sure is some hard right-wing views. Even though I like the numbers, not really sure if their legitimate because I never heard of them or their history.

Wow did I regret clicking that link. Reading that site that sure is some hard right-wing views. Even though I like the numbers, not really sure if their legitimate because I never heard of them or their history.

Also, it seems to be an internet poll of people who come to their website (albeit scrubbed to include only eligible and likely voters). I like the 'Soknacki new media win like Neshi' trail it leads down, but I think it's a chimera.

Also, it seems to be an internet poll of people who come to their website (albeit scrubbed to include only eligible and likely voters). I like the 'Soknacki new media win like Neshi' trail it leads down, but I think it's a chimera.

We will see. Soknacki appeals to conservatives, centrists and progressives alike, the youth vote heeds him attention and he has a high approval rating among voters who have heard of him. I wouldn't put him out of contention.

Why doesn't the city do a "background check" on all candidates? Post the results on the website, see link. I would like to see if anybody had an "incident" with the police, as per this link. Especially you-know-who.

Because our country is totally F-ed up. Somehow our politicians have more privacy rights than private citizen. When a mayor of a city can have the police force go to his house a dozen times and somehow it's none of our business. Or some teenage having an emergency alcohol call at the PM house and it's a private matter. Or a "family values" MP could be involve in a very steamy affair but that's a personal matter. But a private citizen breaks a window, we are tough on crime folks! Oh yeah as a councilor you can get a $80,000 gift and your punishment is to pay back a fraction of that. But you better not be poor and steal something for food or survival, we build prisons for folks like you.

Okay enough with that rant, latest Forum research numbers are out and here it is. 5-way race, Chow leading with 36%, Tory 27%, Ford 26%, Soknacki 4%, Stintz 3%... In a top three race Chow leads with 38%, Tory 30% and Ford 28%... If Ford drops out with the remaining 4 candidates Tory 38%, Chow 36%, Soknacki & Stintz 4% each.... Tory vs Chow, Tory leads 42% to 40%. Approval rating Tory 63%, Chow 57%, Soknacki 44%, Stintz 41%, Ford 31%

Tory is in a weird spot. He needs to Ford to drop out because I have a feeling that Ford supporters are not capable of voting strategically (they support their man too much) The thing is Ford is so despised that if Ford drops out or Tory pushes too much to grab Ford supporters it will be easier for Chow to associate Tory with Ford. The whole "Look Ford and his nations supports Tory, there has to be something wrong with him" slant might actually turn off some of his current support.

Because our country is totally F-ed up. Somehow our politicians have more privacy rights than private citizen. When a mayor of a city can have the police force go to his house a dozen times and somehow it's none of our business. Or some teenage having an emergency alcohol call at the PM house and it's a private matter. Or a "family values" MP could be involve in a very steamy affair but that's a personal matter. But a private citizen breaks a window, we are tough on crime folks! Oh yeah as a councilor you can get a $80,000 gift and your punishment is to pay back a fraction of that. But you better not be poor and steal something for food or survival, we build prisons for folks like you.

Okay enough with that rant, latest Forum research numbers are out and here it is. 5-way race, Chow leading with 36%, Tory 27%, Ford 26%, Soknacki 4%, Stintz 3%... In a top three race Chow leads with 38%, Tory 30% and Ford 28%... If Ford drops out with the remaining 4 candidates Tory 38%, Chow 36%, Soknacki & Stintz 4% each.... Tory vs Chow, Tory leads 42% to 40%. Approval rating Tory 63%, Chow 57%, Soknacki 44%, Stintz 41%, Ford 31%

Tory is in a weird spot. He needs to Ford to drop out because I have a feeling that Ford supporters are not capable of voting strategically (they support their man too much) The thing is Ford is so despised that if Ford drops out or Tory pushes too much to grab Ford supporters it will be easier for Chow to associate Tory with Ford. The whole "Look Ford and his nations supports Tory, there has to be something wrong with him" slant might actually turn off some of his current support.

Ok truth time: do yo think Tory can win?

http://www.sketchyformayor.com/

I keep hearing people mention that politicians are clowns and that city hall or parliament is a circus. Is this meant as a slur? As a clown who often performs with a circus I thought maybe I had the wrong definition, so I looked it up.

Circus – A public performance often in a large tent that features skilled performers and pageantry.

Clown – A comedic performer who uses outlandish costume and broad actions to play a character usually in a circus.

No mention of politicians, city hall or federal or provincial parliament. I take it that being called a clown or a circus is considered an insult. Wow, thanks.

In a bid to end these comparisons, I am going to run for mayor. An actual clown, running for chief magistrate of city council. Take that. I’m going to set the bar higher for clown and circus comparisons.

You want a circus at city hall? I’ll show you a circus.

My campaign will feature clowns, circus performers, vaudeville comedians, fire performers, burlesque beauties and wrestlers. Yes, a giant spectacle full of pageantry with all of Toronto as our big top!

We are going to spice up the municipal election to get people’s attention on some of the things that matter about running a city but are kind of boring. Are people naturally interested in wastewater management? How about the details of the budget? What are all the functions of city hall? With a little entertainment thrown in, people may get engaged.

Will that remove clown and circus as slurs? Maybe. Can I provide you with more appropriately themed slurs? Sure I can. Here are my clown filtered perceptions of our last several mayors.

Rob Ford – Carny
He is rich and wily and likes to hang out with rough people. Should he be the guy setting up those giant mechanical rides?

David Miller – Mime
So apparently David Miller did lots of good things for the city. I never heard him or any of his staff tout their accomplishments. Was he stuck in an invisible box for two terms, pulling a rope?

Mel Lastman – Baggy Pants Comic
His gaffes were legendary. He even had a sponsor in the guise of his own appliance stores. When he was mayor, did you try the veal?

http://www.sketchyformayor.com/?page_id=21

But there has always been a close association between Ford and Tory. Plenty of people wanted Tory to run in the last race, but went with Ford as the alternative when he didn't run. And they did so because Tory supported Ford. The conservative-thinking mind votes political ideology...that's why it doesn't matter if Ford is a child molester....as long as he's a child molester touting unrealistic fiscal policies they think are real.

Which is why Tory *really* want Ford to resign and Chow *really* doesn't.

AoD

I definitely agree with you on Tory, but I wonder about your take on Chow. I think her 'Plan B' if Ford resigns is pretty clear: she turns her guns on Tory. Given that all of the more right wing candidates have already been attacking her, I'm not sure Ford resigning is as big a deal for her, because I think a big chunk of Ford's support does not go immediately to Tory -- either it stays home, or it takes off the blinders and looks at all the other candidates with a fresh perspective.

For example, a Ford supporter who expected a subway to his door finds out that Chow is the only one who would make his local bus service every 10 minutes instead of every 30, and thinks, "I'd rather have a subway to my door, but I guess having the bus arrive on time would be nice, too."

This, of course, means that their brain injury magically heals. But I think in some cases it does.

I agree. It's not a real poll in the sense that a random sample has been selected to reflect the electorate. It's just people who come to the site and vote in the poll. Not a true sample at all. On the other hand, I'd be perfectly happy to see those numbers in a professional poll.

Back