News   Jul 11, 2024
 4.4K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 130     1 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 375     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

^Makes sense to me. Only because I was going to vote for Soknacki and I like Domise, meaning that obviously my chosen mayoral candidate sees things the way I do. :p

Watched the Ward 30 debate....Glad I don't live in ward there are four viable choices and from the outside looking in they are all closely matched...it is going to take those with an intimate knowledge and their own predisposition to give one of Farrow, Fletcher, Traynes or West the edge....It is nice to have to pick from the quality candidates of Ward 30 as compared to say those of Ward 8

If you're interested in where council candidates stand on the issue of a minimum grid for cycling, here are some responses, I believe collected by Cycle TO
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16ZcjPGVHUWwJMFBvw5Oz-OPGaeJGql0Nm0ZKiZviWuU/pubhtml

The best part of this is Arthur Smitherman's response,
Bikes have to be taxed and licensed.

This is from a guy who's running under the Ford Nation slate of candidates. He's supposed to be for low/no tax increases, repeal taxes and fees and for smaller government. Meanwhile, he supports taxes and fees for cyclists.

I often think Ford supporters are selfish and resentful towards others. It's I want less red tape at city hall for my purposes and I want to pay less taxes. They'll never be cyclists so what does it matter people they resent are taxed, as long as it's not them.

I guess you argue that for people of all political stripes, but it's just blatant with Ford supporters.

The best part of this is Arthur Smitherman's response,

This is from a guy who's running under the Ford Nation slate of candidates. He's supposed to be for low/no tax increases, repeal taxes and fees and for smaller government. Meanwhile, he supports taxes and fees for cyclists.

I often think Ford supporters are selfish and resentful towards others. It's I want less red tape at city hall for my purposes and I want to pay less taxes. They'll never be cyclists so what does it matter people they resent are taxed, as long as it's not them.

I guess you argue that for people of all political stripes, but it's just blatant with Ford supporters.

Yep. As if taxation and licensing (and insurance) ever made any road user behave better. And yes, the nanny state is fine if it affects that other group that I have convinced myself pays no taxes or fees, even though I don't pay that much myself and I hate taxes. Solipsism of the first order.

The worst part is that trying to understand irrational behaviour can itself lead to mental illness. Believe me, some of these people make my mind ache.

I would like to see a list of candidates who still support Rob or Doug Ford.
In ward 39 Franco Ng told me he would like to see either John Tory or Doug Ford win. After hearing his choices, I told him I couldn't vote for him.

I was going through Leaside Ward 26 today and am noticing a LOT of Jon Burnside signs.

Also quite a few John Parker to balance it out, not much of any others.

Parker could be one of the councilors to lose his council-seat.

I was going through Leaside Ward 26 today and am noticing a LOT of Jon Burnside signs.

Also quite a few John Parker to balance it out, not much of any others.

Parker could be one of the councilors to lose his council-seat.

Though that's probably *old* Leaside, where Burnside was strongest in 2010. It may all depend on where Thorncliffe goes...

Though that's probably *old* Leaside, where Burnside was strongest in 2010. It may all depend on where Thorncliffe goes...
Do you think that Parker will get on his high horse to complain that Burnside has an unfair advantage considering he has additional face time in the printed media not covered by campaign finance rules by advertising his Nutrition and life style clinics?

Last edited:
Do you think that Parker will get on his high horse to complain that Burnside has an unfair advantage considering he has additional face in the printed media not covered by campaign finance rules by advertising his Nutrition and life style clinics?

Oh that is where I've seen him before...

I'm back in town for Thanksgiving. Biked around the east end yesterday and based on the sign war in Ward 30 it's a battle of West vs. Fletcher in Riverdale, Farrow vs. Fletcher in Leslieville and Fletcher dominating around Monarch Park.

In Ward 29 David Andre seems to be winning the sign war around the Player Estates/Browning area, but Fragedakis rules east of Pape and into East York.

Back