News   Jul 16, 2024
 106     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 269     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     3 

2008 Federal Election: GTA Voting Patterns

Whoaccio and northstar:

Well said...and worth repeating...both your comments.

Canada is still a rural nation at heart. And suburbs, are just our way of keeping the countryside in the city. The Canadian (and American dream) is literally a patch of land, not a small condo on Yonge. Canada is urbanizing but until the rest of Canada catches up to us (psychologically anyway) we should be more welcoming of their views....to attract their support and dollars.....

In my experience, the problem lies in how little most Torontonians have travelled through the rest of Canada, resulting in them understanding very little about what Canadians value.

This in turn, prevents us from becoming a centre of Canadian culture. The Brits may hate London or the French may hate Paris, but no Brit or French citizen would want to see those cities taken down a notch. They understand that world class cities represent the nation on the world stage. Canadians don't get that because Toronto and most Torontonians seem foreign (dare I say it...almost American) to them. Indeed, it may seem odd, but I have found that the Prairie folks have more in common with the Maritimers than they do with Torontonians....that should not be the case. Toronto should be face of Canada. That can only happen when us city folk learn to appreciate our fellow canucks more.....

Moose milk anyone? (If you don't get the reference...you haven't travelled enough!)

imo Calgary and Edmonton are the most American style places in the country...

However imo Toronto's future on tourism rests on more Canadians visiting the city.

make it like how every American wants to see NY in their lifetime.

Imo, most Canadians want to see Montreal, Vancouver and Toronto.

What is interesting though is that the sea of red doesn't apply so evenly for provincial elections.....anybody have any theories on this?

Its interesting to note that the Harper Conservatives have paid in more to Move Ontario 2020 than the previous two Liberal governments.

Uh, it's interesting to note that no Liberal govenment has been in power since MoveOntario was announced.

The only shocker was how "good" the Conservatives have been to VIA lately. Otherwise, they have taken their sweet time releasing funding for TTC projects, though they have been quicker with the suburban bus-based projects and GO funding.

Just to show Toronto isn't particularily unique in how it relates to the rest of the country:

12323.jpg

Uh, it's interesting to note that no Liberal govenment has been in power since MoveOntario was announced.

Yet, I saw no effort on the part of those Liberal administrations to develop a national transit strategy. They only seem to yap about it when they're in Opposition.

The only shocker was how "good" the Conservatives have been to VIA lately. Otherwise, they have taken their sweet time releasing funding for TTC projects, though they have been quicker with the suburban bus-based projects and GO funding.

Hey, they invest where the votes are. Sadly, that's how democracy works in Canada. They are no different in this regard than our provincial government. Would we have a subway extension to a green field in Vaughan if a certain minister wasn't from there. The situation won't change until T.O. stops becoming safe Liberal ridings....actually forcing even the federal Liberals to pay attention to this city.

We sooo need a national transit strategy that can survive more than one government....

While Toronto isn't well liked, its not despised by other Canadians and I have yet to see a politician run on an anti-Toronto platform.

Then you haven't been looking hard enough.

main02-1.jpg

The final slogan was even more prominent prior to the election.

Then you haven't been looking hard enough.

The final slogan was even more prominent prior to the election.

Well he's a "rural yahoo". We all know why he did that. But its hard to make a case that most Canadians outside Ontario really, really despise Toronto.

And considering how Hillier barely won a seat which ought to have been a slam dunk, maybe the anti-Toronto sloganeering worked against him...

Back on topic, so how do we vote to get what we want?

As an unpalatable as it is to some, it might be a good idea to elect at least one MP in each of the parties in the 416 instead of the sea of red we hand to the Liberals....ending up with a GTA minister who is from Oshawa. I just think its good to diversify so that we have buy in, no matter who is elected.

I think I'll just keep voting Liberal thanks. Even though our last Liberal turned Conservative. Hopefully the next one doesn't. It'll feel good to turf out our unelected Conservative.

50 points to the first person to correctly state which riding I'm in.

I think I'll just keep voting Liberal thanks. Even though our last Liberal turned Conservative. Hopefully the next one doesn't. It'll feel good to turf out our unelected Conservative.

50 points to the first person to correctly state which riding I'm in.

I guessing not in the 416....that would be political suicide.

Back