News   Jul 10, 2024
 565     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 820     0 

2007 Ontario Election: MMP Referendum

Why I'm voting against MMP

Sep 28, 2007 04:30 AM
Ian Urquhart

Electoral reform has support from across the political spectrum, but in Ontario, at least, the push is coming primarily from the left.

The motivation springs from the election of the Mike Harris government in 1995. Harris's Conservatives won a majority in the Legislature with less than half the popular vote (45 per cent, to be exact).

That is not unusual in Ontario, which has a mature three-party system; indeed, it has been six decades since any party here won more than 50 per cent of the popular vote in a provincial election.

What was unusual about the Harris regime was that it departed from the incrementalist approach of past Ontario governments and began implementing a radical agenda, known as the "common sense revolution." Taxes and welfare rates were cut, civil servants were laid off, labour laws were gutted, and cities were amalgamated against their will.

To ensure that never happened again, Harris's opponents latched on to electoral reform. Specifically, they began campaigning for a form of proportional representation, where seats in the Legislature are allocated according to a party's share of the popular vote.

With proportional representation, as Linda McQuaig argued in the Star earlier this month, "Mike Harris never would have won a majority government." Accordingly, the Conservatives would have been outnumbered by the combined total of Liberal and NDP MPPs, and Harris could not have proceeded with his agenda.

The problem with this sort of conclusion is that it relies on a static analysis that looks backward at election results arising from our three-party system. A more dynamic, forward-looking analysis suggests the number of parties in the Legislature would multiply with proportional representation and the political consequences would be quite unpredictable.

Take New Zealand, for example. It used to have an electoral system just like ours, with two parties (Labour and National) trading places at the top and a third party occasionally winning a seat or two.

But in 1993 New Zealand switched to a new system – mixed-member proportional, or MMP, which is the same system on the referendum ballot in Ontario.

Now New Zealand has eight different parties in its parliament, including a Maori party, one that opposes more Asian immigration, and another that wants a hard cap on government spending.

New Zealand is a relatively homogenous place compared to Ontario. Here, if MMP were adopted as our electoral system, one could easily envisage the emergence of parties based on ethnicity or on geography (a Toronto secessionist party, say, or a northern party).

Under the MMP model recommended by the citizens' assembly in Ontario, these parties would need just 3 per cent of the popular vote – about 150,000 votes – to gain four seats in the Legislature.

And, of course, existing fringe parties like the Greens (quirky environmentalists), the Freedom Party (for abolition of income and property taxes and introduction of two-tier medicare), and the Family Coalition Party (pro-life and anti-gay marriage) could also meet that threshold. Then, after the election, the major parties would have to bargain with some or all of these lesser parties for support in order to form a government.

So we might end up with another Mike Harris who becomes premier with the support of a pro-life party and/or a northern party that is against gun control and for logging in provincial parks.

That's why I'll be voting against MMP in the referendum.

Ian Urquhart's provincial affairs column appears Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Email: iurquha@thestar.ca

^^^
This article doesn't add anything to the debate that hasn't been brought up here from various people already. Urquhart is basically saying he doesn't want certain views represented in government even though they may be broadly held in the public. I've said it before, and I'll say it again -- this is elitism.
Too much of what I'm reading about MMP sounds like "I don't like them so I don't want them in my house."

And I also don't buy this business of something like a Toronto secessionist party choking the business of government. If 10 different "fringe" parties wind up being elected, then it's just as likely that traditional parties would be forced to work with each other than they would with a radical party. Maybe MMP will squeeze some of the left out of NDP and some of the right out of the Conservatives and push the three traditional parties more towards the centre. Why not? It's just as possible.

This model is not perfect, but it's fundamentally more democratic because it fosters inclusiveness. If we believe in the basic principles of democracy, then we can't keep people out of the debate just because we don't agree with them. We invite them in. And we give them an opportunity to be part of the process because that's their right. We tear them to shreds in a debate, and then vote. And then we live with the result until we vote again.

Let's not forgot that when the Bloc Quebecois was the Official Opposition, they voted with the governing Liberals more often than not. And let's not forget that it was under the current system (yes, yes federally, but still) that a secessionist party became the official opposition in the same election that a another regional party (at the time), Reform became the third party while the Conservatives who got the second highest number of votes only got two seats. That crazy, whacked out scenario was not under MMP. What could be a scarier political scenario than that?

I'm picking progress over perfection and voting in favour.

And I also don't buy this business of something like a Toronto secessionist party choking the business of government. If 10 different "fringe" parties wind up being elected, then it's just as likely that traditional parties would be forced to work with each other than they would with a radical party. Maybe MMP will squeeze some of the left out of NDP and some of the right out of the Conservatives and push the three traditional parties more towards the centre. Why not? It's just as possible.

This model is not perfect, but it's fundamentally more democratic because it fosters inclusiveness. If we believe in the basic principles of democracy, then we can't keep people out of the debate just because we don't agree with them. We invite them in. And we give them an opportunity to be part of the process because that's their right. We tear them to shreds in a debate, and then vote. And then we live with the result until we vote again.

Let's not forgot that when the Bloc Quebecois was the Official Opposition, they voted with the governing Liberals more often than not. And let's not forget that it was under the current system (yes, yes federally, but still) that a secessionist party became the official opposition in the same election that a another regional party (at the time), Reform became the third party while the Conservatives who got the second highest number of votes only got two seats. That crazy, whacked out scenario was not under MMP. What could be a scarier political scenario than that?

On the point of the first paragraph, one should not assume that changing the voting system will result in better politics, or different politcs. Why would you assume that forcing parties of different ideological stripes to work together will automatically mean they will less political or work for a common good? There is nothing in MMP that offers such a scenario as a given result.

On the second point, all elected MPP's participate in governing - as members of the governing party and the opposition. They are not cut off from the process of government. Suggesting that the present system of government is undemocratic because not all political parties can be part of the government is not an argument for it to being undemocratic. Having every party in government does not mean that government will be more effective, efficient, strong, capable. less political or more inclusive - since thirty percent of the sitting members won't be representing any specific public, but will be representing the political party.

On the third point, yes, isn't it funny that parties born of FPTP make for strange alliances due to poltics. But then such olitics won't go away in MMP, it will be amplified. You must work ever harder to distinguish yourself from the others.

On the point of the first paragraph, one should not assume that changing the voting system will result in better politics, or different politcs. Why would you assume that forcing parties of different ideological stripes to work together will automatically mean they will less political or work for a common good? There is nothing in MMP that offers such a scenario as a given result.

That's just it, I wasn't assuming anything. I described another possible scenario to the one presented in the article. I don't have a crystal ball.

On the second point, all elected MPP's participate in governing - as members of the governing party and the opposition. They are not cut off from the process of government. Suggesting that the present system of government is undemocratic because not all political parties can be part of the government is not an argument for it to being undemocratic. Having every party in government does not mean that government will be more effective, efficient, strong, capable. less political or more inclusive - since thirty percent of the sitting members won't be representing any specific public, but will be representing the political party.

If I suggested that all political parties should be part of the "government" then I apologize for being unclear. I'm advocating that more parties should be part of the political process by being allowed to ask questions of the governing party, by debating and voting on legislation, etc.

According to Webster's, democracy is defined as "the acceptance and practice of the principle of equality of rights, OPPORTUNITY, and treatment; lack of snobbery."

The point I'm trying to make is that the proposed MMP model will be MORE democratic because more people with "non-traditional" party-based views will have an opportunity to be a part of the process -- not just campaigning, but also voting on legislation at Queen's Park. I never said having broader-based representation would make things more efficient, this is government we're talking about, after all.

On the third point, yes, isn't it funny that parties born of FPTP make for strange alliances due to poltics. But then such olitics won't go away in MMP, it will be amplified. You must work ever harder to distinguish yourself from the others.
That's politics, I can live with that. If your prediction holds true, that parties would have to work harder to distinguish themselves from each other, then doesn't that mean voters would have a clearer choice? Not sure how that's bad.

People are voting for or against this proposal for their own reasons. Personally, I'm trying to think more about changing our system so that the make-up of Queen's Park is more reflective of the actual results on election day. Others are voting for/against based on how well think they the proposed system will impact certain views -- eg. voting against MMP to keep out Natural Law, voting for to bring in the Greens. I think we would be all better served if we focused more on trying to equalize opportunity as much as possible rather than fearing what the voters will pick.

According to Webster's, democracy is defined as "the acceptance and practice of the principle of equality of rights, OPPORTUNITY, and treatment; lack of snobbery."

A democracy is more than a dictionary definition, and it is much more than the electoral system. The fact that people are agonizing so much about this one issue suggests that these very points have been obscured or lost. Democracy is in no way enhanced or improved by putting more power in the hands of political parties; that just turns political parties from something provisional into something essential.

My friend made a good point yesterday that I hadn't thought of: the second ballot will be completely proportional, so large urban centres like Toronto will finally actually be represented in government the way they should be.

Currently we have rural ridings with tiny populations electing the same number of candidates (1) as urban ridings with huge populations. With MMP, finally my vote will actually be worth as much as that of someone living in Nowheresville, Northern Ontario.

You should read my post a few up from yours. If you live in central Toronto, your vote is actually worth far more than the Ontario average. Ridings like Parkdale, Beaches, Davenport, York South-Weston and others are among the smallest in the province (though curiously and inexplicably, Trin Spadina and Toronto Centre are more normally-sized). Many rural ridings are actually quite large, and in some cases well above average. The biggest ridings by far are in the 905 and some fast-growing mid-size cities like Kitchener.

But inexplicable that said population hasn't been redistributed, I guess...do 'established' urban ridings have more sacrosanct boundaries?

Explicable through population growth (Cityplace et al)

That's what I thought at first, but it isn't. The redistribution was based on the 2001 census, and even then T-S and T-C were significantly bigger than all the other downtown Toronto ridings, even though we know that they're shrinking at a slower rate. It's triply baffling since it's not like the boundaries are based on some formal historical border, like some of the rural ridings that encompass an entire county. Shift a couple blocks in or out of a Toronto riding, and you could have them perfectly balanced.

The boundaries are also definitely not sacrosanct. In the last redistribution, the entire traditional core (most of the area between Yonge and University) was shifted from Toronto Centre to Trinity Spadina.

Back