News   Jul 22, 2024
 34     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 238     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 995     0 

2003 Municipal Election: David Miller is mayor!

B

boiler2000

CityTV just declared Miller the winner. I think this is great news for Toronto, and we have every reason to celebrate tonight and to hope that tomorrow will bring better times for our loved city.

Fabulous! Torontonians have actually voted for a clean, capable, progressive mayor who gets it and is supported by Jane Jacobs. This could be earth-changing.

Congratulations to David Miller as Mayor! And also for running a great campaign to convince those members of the public who before were not as concerned about our city, to become proactive and change our city for the better. :cheers:

I'm really glad that Toronto has a elected a progressive, transit and environmentally friendly mayor. I wish I could have voted for him. :cheers:

As for the rest of council, Miller may have a bit of a hard time implelenting his agenda, as there haven't been many more progressive candidates elected. For example, Anne Johnson was defeated by the NIMBY candidate and conservative has-been Bill Sandercook took Miller's old seat. However, Tziretas is gone, and a few faces have been elected.

I thought Hall, and Tory, and Miller all gave good speeches tonight.

Watching Miller tonight made me think of another November election night, 11 years ago, when Clinton was elected and for a time it seemed like anything and everything was possible. Of course, it wasn't then, and it isn't now, but still, it's nice to have a mayor that inspires hope and confidence that tomorrow and the day after that and the day after that, things will be a little bit better.

We had a choice of 2 very capable candidates. I'm glad Miller won the mayor's job for the following reason: I'd rather have Miller lead the city then try to unite the right! ;) John Tory now has a stepping stone to lead the united right Conservative party! ;) -- Now, does the united right has the smarts to see John Tory's smarts? Well, that's another issue.

Good for David Miller! And good for the city of Toronto!

They've declared him mayor but he's not mayor yet. Though, I'm 99% sure he will be going by what the polls are indicating so far.

Granted, CityTV is hardly authorised to declare anyone the mayor, but I'm sure you'll forgive me that excess in light of the circumstances. :)

Congrats to David Miller, he is an honest man who will make an excellent mayor.

Does the mayoralty of Toronto have a warping effect on the office-holder? I was watching CityTV, and Miller had two bizarre outbursts in which he practically screamed "Victory" and "...take back this city". His voice was cracking, and I was cringing.

I like Miller just fine, but I have to say that Tory gave a much better speech tonight. Miller looked small-time in his speech. In any case, I'm sure he'll make a greast mayor, but someone should really tell David not to scream out like that. It doesn't suit him. He also needs to contain his excitement a little. He conducted himself well during the campaign, and hopefully, the chair of Mel won't warp him.

I hope the Toronto dailys come up with a more orginal headline that "It's Miller Time". It one of them puts that on their cover (ummm Toronto Sun I am thinking) it will be beyond lame. Regardless, I am happy he won!

Back