News   May 07, 2024
 549     1 
News   May 07, 2024
 401     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 347     0 

10 flagrant grammar mistakes that make you look stupid

I don't know whether "yvoorg" counts as Nadsat...
Bunny5-04.jpg

I know that "it's" means "it is" but that is one of the more foolish rules of the english language. Usually apostrophe "s" is used to denote ownership (e.g. Bob's or Mary's) but for "it's" it is being used as a shortform.

You're referring to a contraction, not a short form. As a contraction of "it" and "is", it has to have an apostrophe.

While it may seem logical that possessive "its" should have an apostrophe as possessive nouns do, note that possessive "yours" does not have an apostrophe either.

The simple fact is that grammatical rules of writing are not designed by committee, and as with spoken language, logic is not always involved.

Why a short form for something as short as "it is" was ever deemed necessary is beyond me.

Language evolves naturally, without any discussion, debate, or consent regarding rules. Words are not "deemed" necessary or unnecessary.

If even a linguistic "mistake" is common and sticks around long enough, it becomes correct. Language is as language does.

You've hit the nail on the head. As much as we may dislike them, some speech "errors" become an accepted part of language by virtue of their usage. What is important is what people actually do with language. If something is spoken and understood, then language fulfills its function.

Though I still love the word whom, even if I honour it's correct use more in the breach than in the observance.

Spot the error in this quote and win a valuable prize.

Yeah, I spotted it too, just after I posted it. I never said I wasn't as sloppy and careless as the next person.

What other words should English borrow?

Don't worry ap, we all do it from time to time. Many right and proper words in English are of course multiple words that gradually coalesced, and their "apostrophe for a contraction" phase was merely that, which they eventually outgrew. Think Halloween. It's may be similar in time.

I'm going to attempt now to change the flow of this thread into something else. What words from other languages that English hasn't borrowed from yet still need to happen? I will vote for "Passerelle" from French, denoting an overhead walkway (like a Calgary Plus 15). It's such a great word, and everything in English for that concept is really bad.

Are there others?

Back