News   Apr 25, 2024
 301     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 971     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
I can't believe it's still over a year away from opening. Couldn't they open it this year? I guess they're still looking for tenants...

Patience. It takes time to find the cheapest materials on the planet.

Seriously. They aren't going to cheap out on the advertising budget. What's horrible about Torch is that even the advertising is cheap backlighting.

While there is backlighting in this case, it also has "Canada's largest Trivision." Someone tell me what that is.

Seriously. They aren't going to cheap out on the advertising budget. What's horrible about Torch is that even the advertising is cheap backlighting.

But the building itself looks like crappy sheetmetal.

The renderings are hideous, though I can console myself by imagining that their only focus is selling that advertising space.

The layouts are actually quite interesting. From an urban standpoint, the building isn't bad. I can't help but think some of the locations are very strange, though. On the first floor below ground, all the locations that will be on people's way from the subway to the ground level are leased. All of the others are not. I'm baffled by the lower two levels (Incidentally, they're reversed on the website, but accurate on the PDF). The bottom floor seems completely bizarre, and I can't imagine what would locate there. We may see some interesting local thrift store-style businesses. Maybe... a call centre? The second concourse level is weirdly connected to a location at ground level. I am guessing that it's where Lucid was supposed to go, and I wonder what other possible use could come for it.

The third-floor food court seems to be leasing quite well. It's amazing how much fast-food space the building includes, but it should be well-used with a subway entrance, megaplex, and neighbouring university. I'm surprised that AMC doesn't object to the food court right below them since it will presumably cannibalize their overpriced snacks business. Boston Pizza has a lovely location, and I bet their patio will be very popular in the summer.

The final weird quirk of the design is the passageway connecting the main building to the "nose." It seems very narrow and winding, so I don't know if that back area will be particularly successful. Future Shop doesn't seem to mind.

Tim Horton's should take over the rest of the nose on the ground floor and below. A mega-Tim's would surely be successful at such a location.

I'm pleased that most of the ground-level stores open on to Yonge St. rather than some internal mall hallway.

I'm also pleased about the Wolfgang Puck's. For chain fast food, it's pretty tasty.

Hmm, can't put my finger on it but I just don't like it... On the plus side, at least there will be something on that spot. Perhaps Superman can come and save Metropolis.

Tim Horton's should take over the rest of the nose on the ground floor and below. A mega-Tim's would surely be successful at such a location.

Drop by the existing Tim Hortons between 3 and 6pm on weekdays... the place is packed with Ryerson students getting snacks and drinks for their trips home. If not for the big lineup, I would have done the same after my day at Ryerson.

Boston Pizza has a lovely location, and I bet their patio will be very popular in the summer.

We should have a forum meet there sometime. It's got the best view in Toronto because you can't see Metropolis from there! :)

It's too cluttered. Symmetry doesn't seem to be a word used @ PenEquity. Oh well, it'll be a work in progress, constantly changing. Soon enough, the advertising $$$ will be there to take over and create a pleasant, yet commercial experience for passersby.

No advertiser in their right mind would spend millions of dollars on mega billboards this distracting from one another. If PenEquity wants access to those millions, they'll have to concede to requests to tidy it up.

I do have to bring up Times Square because it seems to be the elephant in the room. Everybody knows it's there, but nobody wants to admit it. Ok! Ok! I admit it, this is TORONTO'S VERSION OF TIMES SQUARE. Ok, I said it!

So with that in mind, with Times Square set as our precedent, we can expect to see Dundas Square grow from a shoddy commercial pit to a place where the best advertising mediums are first introduced. A place where people go to be in awe of the sparkling epileptic inducing lights.

This building and the entire area will be quite a unique place to go to in 2010.

While there is backlighting in this case, it also has "Canada's largest Trivision." Someone tell me what that is.

Trivision: A billboard with rotating blades with 3 facets. When they roll there's a new image on the board, up to 3 images.

I do have to admit, thats one big ass trivision board. Never seen anything like it.

"Other than that, I'm quite excited about having AMC, Boston Pizza and Wolfgang Puck's so close... it'll be like having the burbs in my backyard."

Or like having downtown in my backyard? Nah, this won't work both ways.

"We should have a forum meet there sometime. It's got the best view in Toronto because you can't see Metropolis from there!"

It does, however, directly face Torch...

"I do have to admit, thats one big ass trivision board. Never seen anything like it."

Wasn't the big ad across the street that fell and injured people a trivision board?

It would be nice to run over to Johnny Rockets to get a burger for lunch. Too bad Licks didn't choose to lease here because Johnny Rockets will fill that niche at Yonge & Dundas.

Wasn't the big ad across the street that fell and injured people a trivision board?

that's the first thing I thought too when I read that...even bigger pieces of flying metal falling from the sky...let's just hope they don't think to do a shadow study on that.

It looks bigger than ever - now with several floors behind the media tower section. There have not been any elevations of the Victoria Street side released yet, and with the building going to be sitting out over the Victoria Street sidewalk, it is going to loom MASSIVELY over Ryerson.

This place is going to overwhelm.

What a missed opportunity for cutting edge commerical architecture.

It's not like this project represents a definative moment in Toronto history. It will be fine for what it is, an urban kitchy retail and entertainment complex. There is actually nothing suburban about the form or context of the building. I think we mix up the commercial tenants with the building concept, the former are primarily suburban the building is not. This is essentially a sister development to the Paramount complex in the club district. Like it or lump it Paramount is actually a considerable asset to the area as Metropolis will be as well. More characteristic of a hyper urban asian city then suburbia. While I share various concerns expressed and wished we could have had a more architecturally interesting or thoughtful building if you go to the sit you can see that the massing of the building is, dare I say, somewhat impressive.

Paramount is an ok place to see a movie, except on Friday or Saturday night, when le tout 905 is loitering about on the sidewalks outside.

This project reminds me of Trocadero in London's West End. An urban mall essentially. What's more, the only thing really differentiating it from the Eaton's Centre is size and architecture, although the exterier of the Eaton Centre isn't exactly stunning either! Doesn't sound like there's really much of a reason for me to ever go there. I pretty much avoid the whole Dundas Square thing altogether and Boston Pizza is just not a draw.

Didn't I read that Wolfgang Puck is taking the old Patriot space in the Collonade? Does Toronto really need two more cheesy chain restaurants?

Back