News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 399     0 

1 St Thomas (Lee Development, 29s, Stern)

What's your opinion of 1 St. Thomas?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Maybe so, but this does look a lot better than a lot of the junk that was actually built back then. It's not cutting edge but not every new building has to be. As long as the materials and execution are of good quality, and the project meets the street well and adds to the surroundings it's just fine with me.

IMG_2068.jpg

IMG_2069.jpg

IMG_2070.jpg

IMG_2071.jpg

IMG_2072.jpg

IMG_2073.jpg

This building could give precast a good name.

The view of it from CCBR, Sept. 11, 2006:

view.JPG

What a beautiful shot, CN. It looks so fragile at the top, like a latticework. Something that a Fraggle might come along and eat...

Imagine this scene when the spire of Old Vic towered above everything in the neighborhood...

I was walking near this tower yesterday and I thought it was interesting that even though I claim not to like this faux-historicism I actually really like this tower and wish it was a little taller. Looks good!

nice shot

Nice light in that shot, CN. Well composed, as well.

Re: nice shot

I like how the 1StThomas picks up well on one of the older towers off of Queen's Park which has the same step backs towards the top.

What Stern seems to have done with One St Thomas is completely avoid the kitchiness which characterized some building referencing the past. He has also added some modern accents like those black/bronze bay windows which appear to heighten the building.

All that is left really are the balcony windows, I briefly saw a demo on one balcony a few weeks back - also matching black.

1 St Thomas (Stern)

One St.Thomas

The precast and the stone are virtually identical on this building

IMG_2297.jpg

IMG_2316.jpg

IMG_2317.jpg

IMG_2318.jpg

IMG_2319.jpg

IMG_2320.jpg

IMG_2321.jpg

IMG_2322.jpg

IMG_2323.jpg

IMG_2324.jpg

IMG_2326.jpg

One St Thomas Balconies

The steel balcony railings have been installed on the lower floors but the balcony strcuture behind the railing appears somewhat unfinished with no cladding matching the rest of the building. This is reminicent of comments concerning Minto at Y&E.
Will some sort of finishing/cladding be applied after, it looks sort of raw right now, although the rest of the building seems of a great.

great?

Great might be a bit of an overstatement. I'd say 1 St. Thom is "ok". Can historical pastiche ever be "great"?

Re: great?

I think if its labelled "pastiche" then I suppose not, but I don't agree with your premise. I think the building refers to earlier classic styles but isn't overwrought or random in doing so.

By your logic any building incorporating a doric, ionic, corinthium column post-Greece is not great. But we've had that discussion before.

On the other hand, I would support your argument if the label "great" only applies to thoroughly original works. And there might be a case in that.

What I meant is that 1 St Thomas is a much better looking building than 99% of what I see going up around me, most of which is kind of similar. In a sense its historicism looks original and refreshing by comparison. In fact the setbacks are pretty dramatic.

I passed two skyscraper-geeky guys staring up at this building, as I made my stately progress along the north side Bloor Street yesterday afternoon: one guy turned to his friend and said, wistfully, " But it's still a box ..."

They looked as if they were expecting it to sprout wings and take off or something.

I was there looking at it yesterday, however I would never utter anything so misinformed. However if that was a man on the street comment, I'm glad I'm not the only one noticing this bandwagon trend for TO highrises.

^looking at the skyline in the core one would scarcely say it is a new trend. Rather, it is Toronto's preponderant highrise style. (I'm assuming you're talking about the 'box' style here).

Back