News   Jul 30, 2024
 768     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.5K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 628     0 

1 St Thomas (Lee Development, 29s, Stern)

What's your opinion of 1 St. Thomas?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Most contemporary design being neo or even faux modern, of course.

Yes, most.

Most will always be a little behind the ball though.

So while most contemporary is neo or faux modern, a small number of leading edge projects (Absolute World) will continue to remind us where the new lines are being drawn.

Indeed. The infinite possibilities of computer software, and the high-fashion sculptural products it creates, lead the way. A great leap forward based on technology.

Creative people can plunder the past for inspiration but when net consumers of culture treat building styles like clothes in a big closet of styles - and are pandered to by style marketers - you know it'll end in tears ... or 1 St Thomas.

Building styles have always been subject to the whims of fashion - who was Horace Walpole if not the style marketeer of the late 18th century. People wanting fashionible buildings are no different than you trolling through Holts for fashionable garments.

"People wanting fashionible buildings are no different than you trolling through Holts for fashionable garments."

I doubt Urban Shocker can identify with that analogy.

The East facing wall off the 1 St Thomas townhouses is some sort of stucco. Is this a permanent cladding, is it acceptable for a laneway?

I'm an equal-opportunity troll: Holts, Goodwill, Winners - it is all the same to me since what's fashionable is the least of my interests in any of these places.

It is reasonable to conclude that people who buy condos in 1 St Thomas are more interested in that horrible thing called "good taste" - which is a product of marketing, fashion and received opinions - than in good contemporary design.

What if people don't like contemporary design? Who says that people must like contemporary design?

Because this was finished the same time Lever House was in gestation, does that mean it's bad?
0900293_1_300_thmb.jpg

What if people don't like contemporary design? Who says that people must like contemporary design?

If you don't like contemporary/modern design for residential development, you are in the right city. The bias has leaned toward this segment, with few exceptions, for a very long time. But what about all those closet modernists who want to see Toronto breakout and make a more balanced statement - they are the jilted ones. This is like a self-fulfilling prophesy - obviously there is a market for this so why not build it - hence, why concern yourself about this supposed imbalance, the market determined it? But for those who could and would buy modern, they are so underserved that they are likely to move onto another venue: maybe Mississauga and Absolute World at best, or further afield. That is Toronto's future going straight out the door with them.

In my comments from yesterday, I pointed to the destruction of non-modern skyscrapers with legitimate pedigree, as oppose to what can be called anachronistic replays, as being part of the problem. I implore you to save the best of that honest architecture, while encouraging, simultaneously, a diversity of styles in the present and future. But I cannot personally encourage unupdated faux-past. No one should be concerned about the survival of unupdated faux-past, since it will occur on its own here and needs no additional faux-encouragement in doing so. Mr. Stern's 1 St. Thomas is a better than average example of faux-past, but the city in the meantime needs to address diversity in creative design if for no other reason than to keep pace with its competition in other cities or outlying areas of urban sprawl.

There are so few of the really forward looking skyscrapers in Toronto's residential mix now, that it would take decades to get into any type of tangible balance. That's why I say speak to the issue now, at every turn, or be buried by your silent acceptance of what only appears to be the norm.

I'm not so sure that most of Stern's work can be considered anochronistic replays. His building certainly carry on architectural traditions and pay homage to early century antecedents but he frequently takes these forms and styles a step further, sometimes in ways that could not have been accomplished in previous eras. I think he doesn't recreate the past but rather builds upon it- often resulting in buildings that are unique bridges between periods. In a lot of his designs he seems to have a struck a nice balance, bridging past and present in a very pleasing way. Another feature of Stern's work which I like is the high quality with which they are usually executed.

Granted some of his work is more successful than others, and I'm not so sure myself that he hasn't perhaps leaned too much towards traditions with this one. That said I do believe there is a niche for his work in any city with a history, and when executed well is of high standard and contexually well considered. I think a lot of his stuff is quite unique in it's ability to echo a city's past while also looking forward.

I do agree with you on preserving historic structures- Toronto has lost a good number of these. And certainly it would be nice if we had more fresh designs that break from the weary box moulds that still dominate the Toronto landscape. As mentioned, with new materials and IT, there seems to be a trend now towards more organic shapes in highrises; for TO this is coming in the form of the L tower.

the city in the meantime needs to address diversity in creative design if for no other reason than to keep pace with its competition in other cities or outlying areas of urban sprawl.

What competition? Is there a race? Who are the participants? What is the prize. If there were a market for blob style apartments like the one planned for the western suburbs, surely developers would build them. That's what developers do - give people what they want. Developers are in business to make money.

What competition? Is there a race? Who are the participants? What is the prize. If there were a market for blob style apartments like the one planned for the western suburbs, surely developers would build them. That's what developers do - give people what they want. Developers are in business to make money.

I thought this was so clear as to need no explanation. Competition exists next door in Mississauga, and in other parts of Canada, and across the border in of all places Chicago.

I've been a sub-contractor for years in Toronto and Chicago. I cannot tell you how many times I've crossed paths with Torontonians who moved to Chicago to have a better choice of highrise places to live in a city other than what Toronto offers. That was one of the reasons for my posts.

Follow up with them, and it is not that there are better jobs, or more things to do. That is what irritates me most.

If you go over to Absolute World it is drawing people from outside Toronto Metro, and from places much further away, like Europe and the US.

Back