News   Jul 30, 2024
 942     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 652     0 

1 St Thomas (Lee Development, 29s, Stern)

What's your opinion of 1 St. Thomas?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm liking it more and more especially the small details.

IMG_2526.jpg

IMG_2527.jpg

Oooh... I'm likin' those shiny metal thingies at the top. This one is approaching a thumbs up.

The 1 St. Thomas / Stern Architecture Debate!

The technical term for those shiny metal decorative thingies is doodads, ganja. If you look closely you'll see what we earthlings call pippypoos ( from the Latin pippy - useless, and poo - shit ) embossed on them, with a suggestion of swagged drapery above that echoes the window treatments, and vertical panelling that suggests an art deco take on classical columns. There are curved, embossed doodads at the base of the bay windows that also vaguely suggests art deco, the precast is designed to suggest stonework, the balconies follow a vaguely historicist approach and everything is intended to scream "good taste for rich people".

Once again, we must disagree, Urban Shocker. I'm not convinced that 'pippy' is Latin for 'useless'.

Anyway, even you must admit that compared to the usual faux fare, this one is standing out.

"The technical term for those shiny metal decorative thingies is doodads, ganja. If you look closely you'll see what we earthlings call pippypoos ( from the Latin pippy - useless, and poo - shit ) embossed on them, with a suggestion of swagged drapery above that echoes the window treatments, and vertical panelling that suggests an art deco take on classical columns. There are curved, embossed doodads at the base of the bay windows that also vaguely suggests art deco, the precast is designed to suggest stonework, the balconies follow a vaguely historicist approach and everything is intended to scream "good taste for rich people"."

Me-think you protest too much. Obviously you're totally, transparently captivated, just stop fighting it -its ok. BTW, I think the metal items might be lighting of some sort?

I like the style and attention to detail in this building. It's refreshing looking and the "doo-dads" do it for me. I was mixed (but not disliking) this building until recently, I'm really liking it now.
Faux-smaux, bring more on more buildings like this anyday!

The suburban-looking bay window treatment stands out far too much.

It's okay but the non-black window mullions look cheap and I wonder: do the windows open? I mean imagine paying $3 million for a box in the sky and you can't get a wee bit of fresh air or open the windows to let out smoke from some kitchen mishap. Now that we've seen the exterior, I wonder what sort of extreme bad (or good) taste the millionaires inside have chosen for decoration, furnishings etc. That's the part of life I adore the most. I once had a sad job where I had to visit many folks' homes: amazing the number of them (mostly upper middle to upper class) that had ikea everything or worse, the Brick-style furniture! From waterfront condos to Lawrence Park, many interiors were vomit inducing. 1 st thomas residents: I'm giving you a Stern warning to avoid cheaping out on your gaudy tastes.....

great pic Mike! this building just keeps getting better and better..

Back