News   May 10, 2024
 1.8K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.9K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.4K     0 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's really quite a shame. There's already very limited space on Bloor and retailers are basically clawing at each other to get in.

That just means more retail space will open up elsewhere in the area which is a good thing.

I think it would be a great location for something like Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue, Macy's, or Bloomingdale's...

None of those chains are going open just one store in Canada. Wouldn't work from a financial perspective so unless one of them is moving into Canada in a big way I doubt you'll ever see them.

We'll probably get a Subway, a dry cleaner, RBC or TD branch, and a Rabba or Kitchen Table.

The rent here is just too high for a Subway or dry cleaner.

That just means more retail space will open up elsewhere in the area which is a good thing.

Yes, but if you actually knew how these international retailers behaved it's not that simple. Unless they get prime Bloor st. frontage they will refuse to open. No Yorkville or Cumberland. It's Bloor or death! (cept for very minor exceptions).

I know a couple who are on the waiting list, such as DKNY and Crates and Barrel.

Yes, but if you actually knew how these international retailers behaved it's not that simple. Unless they get prime Bloor st. frontage they will refuse to open. No Yorkville or Cumberland. It's Bloor or death! (cept for very minor exceptions).

Hugo Boss doesn't seem to mind. But Bloor's 'nice' strip could definitely use some expansion. How long until someone redoes the south side between Yonge and Balmuto?

Hugo Boss doesn't seem to mind. But Bloor's 'nice' strip could definitely use some expansion. How long until someone redoes the south side between Yonge and Balmuto?

Hugo Boss was the exception I spoke of - and rightly so. They look adorable in Old York Lane and their other townhouse location on Hazelton really works.

Yet the whole prestige is about fronting Bloor, and it's unlikely that we'll ever see the couture labels going north. So, for the time being, our already pathetically small collection of five star retail is shrinking thanks to.. banks.

Isn't Macy's closing stores left right and centre? It would be lucky if Macy's even survives the next 3 years in the US, never mind opening a Toronto location.

Might as well say it again...

this would make a perfect spot for an Apple flagship - probably better for Yonge Street frontage with a larger second and/or third floor.

/\ Never, those Apple bandits have usurped more than their share of potential retail space...on the other hand, perhaps you have a point.

The general consensus on 1BE seems to be that while it is a tall building and one which will bolster the midtown skyline, it is largely devoid of any architectural essence. The building contains few elements which will make it stand out in design circles but moreover it just doesn't excite me, the common pedestrian, in any way aside from its height. To compound matters, the suites are being sold for vastly more than they are worth, and much of the hype which afforded them these high prices was predicated on the fact that buyers would be purchasing something on 'the crossroads of Canada' or 'Canada's premier intersection.' Subjective criticisms aside, Bloor and Yonge is clearly not a 'premier intersection' (whatever that is); a fact which I base in the egregious quality of the two roads in question and the lack of anything exciting being based there (Im sorry but while they do help us fiscally, banks are hardly exciting and are definitely not worthy of pushing any intersections into the 'premier-quality-zone.'

The juxtaposition of Apple, a brand which bases its entirety on its image, would work perfectly here. When I see Macbooks being sold for close to 1400 dollars with components not out of place on a 2001 Dell I start to question. But for this reason I believe that, symbolically, it would be an excellent paring. While 1BE has a fantastic interior design team, it lacks the aesthetics of a 'striking' 80 story tower. Mac provides its consumers with beautiful products which force the operator to wait as a result of its dated and lacking components. What's not to love.

So maybe they were made for one another. Mac could teach Varacalli something about design as he clearly was not gifted in this area, while Bazis might be able to give Mac some pointers about the fact that 60gb hard-drives are not acceptable in 2008.

Macy's ???

Macy’s - and all other American retailers - see Canada as a "blue collar" market. That’s why you don’t see many higher end retailers vying for space up here. Even JC Penny took a pass a few years ago when they could have purchased Zeller's. Even Target has little appetite. Face it, other than Walmart and Zellers, what other department stores are there up here in the great white north? Face it, Canadians love their discount stores. In the U.S. you have dozens of retailers to choose from. Aside from a couple of locations in the GTA, Canada is not a hot target for retailers - especially high end retailers like Macy’s

/\ The general consensus on 1BE seems to be that while it is a tall building and one which will bolster the midtown skyline, it is largely devoid of any architectural essence.

I couldn't disagree more. The building is quite unique and contains design elements (and it appears, materials) that are presently found in no other condo building in the city. I think the architecture is exceedingly good and I can be a tough critic. If the building turns out similiar to its renderings, it will be notches above anything that has been built in this city so far.

Speaking of department/retail....................why not Les Ailes de la Mode.
It may not require the square footage a Macy's would warrant, but you couldn't ask for a classier and Canadian department store for the location.

Oh well, settle for yet another disappoint. One must sometimes wonder how to city became to be in the first place.

Or why not Maisons Simons? They have been rumoured to want to make a march out of Quebec... I think this location would be perfect, across from the Bay and all and fitting in perfectly into the "less expensive" side of Yorkville. It probably wouldn't mind taking up the upper two floors too, since they're not really in need of street frontage.

From an October 2005 article, outdated, but has a couple interesting thoughts:

Retail: Trading Sears For La Maison Simons?
Zena Olijnyk
From the September 2005 issue of Canadian Business magazine
For fashionistas, a trip to downtown Montreal isn't complete without a spree at La Maison Simons on St. Catherine Street. Whether to check out end-of-season deals on cool designer threads--a salmon pink Juicy Couture linen jacket marked down to $60 from $250, for example--or to pick up the latest in hip, moderately priced fashions, shoppers can bet the store will be packed.

Out-of-province fans often wonder if the "junior" department store chain, headquartered in Quebec City, will ever expand outside la belle province. The answer, says president Peter Simons, a member of the fifth generation to run the family business since its founding in 1840, is a definite maybe. "You never say never, " says Simons, who admits he's had many offers to venture beyond Quebec. And opportunity could soon open up. Industry watchers speculate whether the Sears Canada location at the downtown Toronto Eaton Centre might become available. The troubled retailer plans to reduce costs by cutting staff and shedding unproductive retail space.

Right now, however, Simons has no specific expansion plans--he's concentrating on internal growth at the chain's seven stores. One reason for looking inward: size. "A Simons store at 80,000 square feet is almost a development," says Simons. "It has to go with a development. That's a little tougher for landlords; there aren't many malls being developed now." Besides, Simons is not a believer in growth for growth's sake; he's more concerned with whether it will deliver above-average return on capital. Simons points to what happened when Quebec department store retailer Les Ailes de la Mode tried to reach beyond its grasp. In August, the Fairweather Group in Toronto bought Les Ailes for $6.2 million; it had been unsuccessful in restructuring after seeking protection from creditors in December 2003.

And the Apple Macbook comparison was horribly misplaced, IMHO. Apple is to Dell as 1 Bloor East would be to Toronto Life Square.... though that doesn't put either company in a good light.

This would be a perfect opportunity for The Bay to do a major structural overhaul on their dud of a store at Bay and Bloor.
Take the Bay Store itself out of there, remove the entire precast front of the thing. Cut back into the building to allow irregular retail floorplates, atria, lightwells, varied access and escape routes. Glass the length of the whole front in, and animate it with with retail from ground level rising up through five floors via escalators and glass elevators, and LED signage.

I think it would be a hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back