News   Jul 04, 2024
 711     1 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 649     0 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 591     1 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be great to have a signature tower here, of 80 - 90 stories, with room for a public square at B/Y and a visible entrance to the cities busiest subway stop.

canuck 36,can we add this to the list

Ehh, might as well. I suppose if they're serious enough to buy the land then this tower is back in play.

Great news to hear that this property is back in action. My ultimate fantasy for this corner would be to see something along the lines of the Time Warner Center in NYC.

The developers-from-Thornhill bit reminds me of that Brad Lamb quotation about letting folks who live in mock-tudor mansions in the 905 reshape our downtown...
...or the adolescent sons thereof *harrumph* socialwoe *harrumph*

Anyhoo, the only square I'd really go for at that corner is Roy(s) Square, which is another way of saying, do it the Jane Jacobs way and don't change a darned cruddy thing...

^Yeah, I'm torn about this project. Roy's square would be great if it were anywhere else in the city, but that kind of lively shabbiness just happens to be at our city's most prominent intersection. That said, the reason why it is there is because there is that critical mass of transit-derived density at Yonge and Bloor that Toronto's downtown always falls just shy of and desperately needs more of.

Roy's square would basically be like if Oxford street terminated in Brixton, or if the corner of Fifth avenue and 42nd street looked like Jackson Heights, Queens.

with the North East Corner a prime example of What Not To Wear, I mean What Not To Do - let's hope for something a bit more inspired.

Can't think of too many examples, both the Time Warner Centre and Water Tower Place have their faults - but could be the beginning of what's needed for the corner.

Does anyone have the most recent black & white sketch for 1 Bloor? It's the one with the flatened roof.

I guess I'll also list this under approved as the tower got the go-ahead from council (afaik).

I agree with above, I'd rather see a huge iconic tower here, one that maintains the street wall along Yonge and adds to the development of what is shaping up to be an impressive midtown cluster. Squares in Toronto just don't seem to function all that well, though I think that huge parking lot on Queen West would be a great place where one would probably work very well.

I think squares work best when there is a reason to cross them. Dundas Square works well because there are several destinations that can bring you right across the square. A square here would be off centre and I would bet would always be difficult to animate.

I'll throw my vote in with the "put up a big one" camp. Big. Bigger. And Curvy.

I suppose if they're serious enough to buy the land then this tower is back in play.

but don't you want it re-submitted as an 80+ storey tower by *insert architect here*

Department Store

I am surprised no one has mentioned this location as a good site for a department store. Macy's, Bloomingdale's, Seko or Galleries Lafayette could use the site on the first few levels and put a cinema on 5 to 9.

Re: Department Store

Macy's, Bloomingdale's, Seko or Galleries Lafayette could use the site on the first few levels...

Or the Toronto location of Simons. :D

I'll throw my vote in with the "put up a big one" camp. Big. Bigger. And Curvy.
Be careful with what you wish for
anna_nichole_box.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back