News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno. I just saw a post on BlogTO (re: 1 Blow) that scared me. One of the comments promoting the development is by someone I'm 99% certain is related to a mobster.

Downtown condo real estate ? ...DUH!

But that aside..
I do so enjoy my daily hit of Bazis/1 Bloor St.

So the news showed a small chunk taken out of the top of the roof about halfway down the laneway in Roy's Square, off Bloor Street. Demolition continues tomorrow for real and they report "approximately" 70-80 suites remain for sale.

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_23242.aspx - link with video

Wow, what a lame demolition photo op. It kinda looked like they just brushed off some dirt from the top of the building... no wonder you couldn't find anything to take a photo of.

from the Citypulse website, looks like the real demolition starts tomorrow...

'It's Going To Change The Skyline Of Toronto:' Work Begins On Huge Face Lift In City Core

Thursday May 29, 2008
CityNews.ca Staff
There have been a few seminal moments in Toronto history where the city has fundamentally changed its appearance forever.

The opening of City Hall's circular shaped building in 1965 not only became an early symbol of a more modern T.O., but it's since been featured in everything from big movies to a stand-in for a foreign world in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation.'

The day the CN Tower was capped in 1976 remains a milestone and perhaps the most famous symbol of the city around the world.

And for those who live and work downtown, what began Thursday afternoon may also fall into that mega-changing category. It's the day crews began to tear down those old buildings on the east side of what many consider the very centre of the city, Yonge and Bloor Sts.

You may not immediately be able to place the space. But it's the spot where City Optical and that old Harvey's used to stand. It's going to be replaced by a massive 80-storey condo complex known as 1 Bloor St. E.

You might remember the frenzy that greeted the announcement of the project last November, as people stood out in the cold, the rain and the snow for a week before the offices even opened, to get a place in line.

The demand was so great, prices actually rose from a range of $300,000-$2 million to $500,000-$8 million in just a week.

That moment has long since passed, and now the real works begins. What will be standing there when the dust settles? A razor thin monolith that will have three levels of shopping, including a swanky restaurant on the third floor.

The next four floors will be given over to a luxury hotel, followed by 500 high-end condos on the rest of the levels that most of us can't hope to afford, although there are about 70 or 80 units left.

Developers promise a spectacular view on the terrace at the top of the new address, offering panoramic views of the city.

But this journey of several million dollars began on Thursday with a single step. And many found it somewhat disappointing. After a much hyped publicity campaign about the demolition on the site, a crane came in and knocked down a couple of bricks. "That's it?" one of the hundreds who gathered to watch the eve of destruction was heard to ask.

It was a bit of an inauspicious beginning, but it was muted because of the danger falling debris might have presented to the crowd. The real work starts Friday.

In a city where nearly all issues seem to create huge divisions, this project actually appears to have support from all facets of the neighbourhood.

"I think it's great," enthuses Michael Gold of Bazis International, the site's developer. "I think it's exciting for Toronto. It's a landmark development, and ... it's going to change the skyline of Toronto, and I think it's going to put us on the world map."

But all this gain won't come without a lot of pain. The site will be filled with dust and noise for the next 38-40 months. And to complicate matters, at least one lane of either Bloor or Yonge will be closed during construction to allow crews to do their work.

Despite the coming chaos, area business owners and residents are looking forward to the finished product. "I think it will make the neighbourhood a lot livelier," suggests Jessica, who works in the area. "I mean everything's kind of run down in this little section, so I think it will spruce it up a bit.

"It's going to bring in a lot more tourism I believe," assures bar manager Jamie Harmiden, who can use the influx. "And it's going to give us more business obviously."

For Councillor Kyle Rae, the tower may become the next big scenery hog in T.O. "The corner of Yonge and Bloor is central in Canada, and for too long it's been undervalued," he maintains. "It's been underwhelming as a commercial corner. It's been an embarrassment and I think this is a great opportunity to redevelop the corner."

The big build up won't end until the place is finished, sometime in 2011.

But they're going to make sure you notice it well before then. Those behind the structure put up a giant 10X6 plasma screen on the street for the grand demolition Thursday, displaying a history of the famous corner over the past 100 years - including pictures of the very first traffic light ever installed in the city in 1927.

That was a long time ago, too. And it's been virtual gridlock at that corner ever since. And that, at least, isn't ever likely to change.

From Patanne on www.flickr.com

2534972286_5c5785dbca_b.jpg

Do they really think this will result in more tourism? I think business owners are getting carried away.

hmm.. ed just school'd syn. -

I don't think I've ever seen anyone do "that" to syn before.

- Of course this is going to be a major tourist draw, what is basically happening is the creation of another media square at Yonge and Bloor, like what is going on at Yonge & Dundas. Kinda like a Toronto verison of Ginza down the road from our Shinuba district. More high class and high end retailers, compared to the low brow stuff down the street the has a more lower common denominator factor. All of those who were disappointed with TLS ( i.e everyone) we have a second chance to create a city defining intersection at Yonge & Bloor.

hmm.. ed just school'd syn. -

I don't think I've ever seen anyone do "that" to syn before.

- Of course this is going to be a major tourist draw, what is basically happening is the creation of another media square at Yonge and Bloor, like what is going on at Yonge & Dundas. Kinda like a Toronto verison of Ginza down the road from our Shinuba district. More high class and high end retailers, compared to the low brow stuff down the street the has a more lower common denominator factor. All of those who were disappointed with TLS ( i.e everyone) we have a second chance to create a city defining intersection at Yonge & Bloor.

Cal - I am 100% with you on this one. Renderings of 1 Bloor East show a far better streetside realm than that at TLS, and heck, if the rumours of a flagship Apple store moving in at the corner site are true, then yes, things are looking up here.

That said, the tower - especially its crown - could look better.

How many tourists came for the Harveys? How many will come for the hotel?

Sure, but I seriously doubt people will come just to see it. It will be a Toronto landmark but I don't see it becoming a must see destination around the world.

Agreed. Citytv is reporting that hyperbolic developer-speak as if it were fact and not propaganda.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back