News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.5K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 666     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

I just don't think the LPC cares anymore. I think they are now between solidifying the programs they put in place and simply setting up the next government to have as painful a time as possible in office.

So, in the end, we took in more people than the high end option in the cabinet docs; but with none of the resources the cabinet docs said would be needed if that option were picked.

I don't know that I can be anymore irritated by the Trudeau gov'ts choices here than I already was............. I am irritated w/the author of the piece for misrepresenting what happened though sins of omission.
When has that stopped the Star from pushing a narrative?

OTTAWA—Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly says Ottawa will commit $1 million to support survivors of sexually-based attacks in Israel on Oct. 7.
"We believe Israeli women. And we stand with them in their fight for justice," Joly announced on social media, adding support from the RCMP has also been offered to assist in investigations of the reported crimes.

Why on earth is the Canadian government providing this kind of (undoubtedly necessary) service to citizens of another fairly wealthy country? I understand being even-handed and 'fair' but ....

Why on earth is the Canadian government providing this kind of (undoubtedly necessary) service to citizens of another fairly wealthy country? I understand being even-handed and 'fair' but ....

It is things like this that are costing the LPC votes.

It's nice they want to help but it feels like they care more for other countries than they do Canadians.

As a Canadian, I am of the opinion we need to fix our own house before fixing others.

I'm not sure why it is so difficult to accept that there are no heroes in this conflict, and that we shouldn't take sides.

We need skilled trades workers, doctors.,etc. but the government keeps importing low skilled workers to fill minimum wage jobs.

We need skilled trades workers, doctors.,etc. but the government keeps importing low skilled workers to fill minimum wage jobs.

Breaking a half century long consensus on diverse immigration is quite the achievement for Trudeau.

Liberal legacy:

1710396016895.png

1710396049867.png

1710396385365.png

1710396562281.png

1710396100060.png
1710396148905.png

1710396203742.png

Attachments

• 1710396259500.png
    1710396259500.png
    160.7 KB · Views: 5
I'm not sure how closely folks have been following the investigation into the ArriveCan app debacle. The committee exploration of the issue has laid bare a culture of consultants, apparently quite often who are moonlighting civil servants, bidding for government contracts and subcontracting nearly all the work. In addition, much of the controls, due diligence etc. these consulting outfits were to be adhering to were ignored. There is a general hollowing out of civil service competency, compounded by a culture of diffuse accountability, and most worryingly a inclination to grift if not engage in outright corruption. It seems this is much broader problem than app development and the federal government. I imagine similar dynamics were at play in the orders-of-magnitude larger procurement for new surface combatants ballooning from the original estimate of $26B to upwards of $80B. And perhaps this might help to explain Toronto and Ontario's ability to spend more and get less for transit investment than almost any other jurisdiction. If we dug into Metrolinx's affairs, would we uncover similar malfeasance?

Breaking a half century long consensus on diverse immigration is quite the achievement for Trudeau.
Except, we did hit and exceed the 1M; while cabinet approved the lower mainstream immigration total ( still a record high), its clear the system was gamed to have foreign students and TFWs make up the difference between the original target and the approved one.
[...]
So, in the end, we took in more people than the high end option in the cabinet docs; but with none of the resources the cabinet docs said would be needed if that option were picked.

Electing a government based on a shared national faith in a fair, reasonable immigration system does not give them carte blanche to change it instead to infinity immigration no matter how much corporations/special interests whine and mope- in doing so, that faith has been violated.

Breaking/neglecting and then intentionally overloading what should have been a model immigration system should be considered nigh-, if not actually treasonous.

One should not mince words about the magnitude of what has happened, nor the sheer scale of the tasks needed to actually resolve it. These events and second- and third- level consequences will cast a long shadow on Canada for many years to come.

Last edited:
“I think about quitting every day. It’s a crazy job I’m doing, making the personal sacrifices,” said Trudeau, who split with his wife since taking office in 2015. “Of course, it’s super tough.”.

But Trudeau said significant domestic and international challenges nevertheless motivate him to remain in the post and face the next federal election scheduled for next year.

Women’s rights, LGBTQ rights and progress fighting climate change are among the issues Trudeau claimed are currently at stake in Canada, and he pointed to global attacks on democracies by what he called extreme populism.

I get that these are important issues. But these kinds of answers in the midst of a housing crisis, a time when we have tent cities and mentally ill riding subways, and a crime wave of stolen cars, etc is going to get these guys creamed next election. The public does not share his priorities at all.

I get that these are important issues. But these kinds of answers in the midst of a housing crisis, a time when we have tent cities and mentally ill riding subways, and a crime wave of stolen cars, etc is going to get these guys creamed next election. The public does not share his priorities at all.
I agree with your assessment of the public's attention span, but if we don't address climate change issues and ramifications head on, there won't be much of a world left to worry about for we humans.

The carbon tax is hurting the Liberals. Most people get back more money in rebates, however it is visible at the gas pumps.

I agree with your assessment of the public's attention span, but if we don't address climate change issues and ramifications head on, there won't be much of a world left to worry about for we humans.

The carbon tax is hurting the Liberals. Most people get back more money in rebates, however it is visible at the gas pumps.

There carbon tax is an economically sound idea. It's too bad that the Liberals lost the messaging war around the carbon tax. And this is important. Want to make a difference on climate change? You gotta actually stay in power long enough to have your policies make a difference.

Unfortunately, the surge in cost of living and deterioration in quality of life has fewer people concerned about the environment.

Honestly, the pitch for climate policy, would have worked better with climate friendly policies that offered direct and real tangible benefits. For example, if they had been working on high speed rail in the Corridor or building any passenger rail between Calgary and Edmonton. Or if they had substantially more generous subsidies for EVs. I think subsidizing cars is poor policy. But it's politically very effective. Compare the popularity of the Biden Administration subsidy shotgun vs the carbon tax here. I suspect the Inflation Reduction Act will be more durable in the US than the carbon tax will be in Canada.

I would argue more so on home energy (heating fuel) bills where, at least in Enbridges' case, is a seperate line item on the bill. Gas (automobile) prices are not too dissimilar prepandemic.

Perhaps more of a failure of communication and perception that the carbon charges are fueling unaffordability - is an easy target, but also the timing is just poor (not insinuating it should have been launched at a different time with current hindsight).

Frankly I haven't seen any discussion around alternatives other than the 'tax must go' (I believe using the word tax is intentional to dissuade support).

As you point out, most (~80 percent?) residents see money back or break even.

The GST implementation days sound familiar... I believe there was also a communication/perception issue.

Last edited:

Back