News   May 03, 2024
 617     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 396     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 215     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

In another news, I was doored while cycling last week and fractured a bone in my right hand so it will just be crappy cell shots for the next while.
I’m really, really sorry to hear that. A consequence of poor planning decisions by the city over decades (I understand that fixes are happening today.)

That all aside, I echo @lenaitch above: I hope that you recover fully with no long-term impacts.

I hope you heal quickly and thoroughly.
I’m really, really sorry to hear that. A consequence of poor planning decisions by the city over decades (I understand that fixes are happening today.)

That all aside, I echo @lenaitch above: I hope that you recover fully with no long-term impacts.
Big thanks to you both!

In another news, I was doored while cycling last week and fractured a bone in my right hand so it will just be crappy cell shots for the next while. Just taking a horizontal shot with my phone is very difficult right now but I'm determined to document this project from start to finish.

Let me echo the comments above in saying 'That sucks'; and I hope you heal up fully and quickly.

May I add, if you feel that where this happened was a road design issue at all (no cycle track, track on wrong side of cars, etc), feel free to share the location, publicly or privately, and with absolutely no promises on outcome, I will ensure the right City staff are made aware of it, and hopefully take a look at making a repeat incident less likely.

Alternatively, I can also provide you the requisite contact information.

Let me echo the comments above in saying 'That sucks'; and I hope you heal up fully and quickly.

May I add, if you feel that where this happened was a road design issue at all (no cycle track, track on wrong side of cars, etc), feel free to share the location, publicly or privately, and with absolutely no promises on outcome, I will ensure the right City staff are made aware of it, and hopefully take a look at making a repeat incident less likely.

Alternatively, I can also provide you the requisite contact information.

Thanks, NL! It was at Front and Blue Jays Way just before the intersection heading eastbound.

The description of the GO screens in that article sounds a lot like the design that Metrolinx surveyed people on 2-3 years ago:
They dropped the ball on the UP Express screen. They didn't even include a minute countdown to the next train - hell, YRT gets this right! Imagine if you got to a VIVA stop and the dot matrix display was showing "viva blue - Newmarket Term - 11:34", "viva blue - Newmarket Term - 11:42", "viva blue - Newmarket Term - 11:59"

The screen is cluttered and the least important feature - the ad - attracts the most attention.

Incredible work from Metrolinx. Do they want to make people dislike transit?

They dropped the ball on the UP Express screen.
I feel like they didn’t necessarily drop the ball, they just never picked up the ball that's been on the floor since 2015; the UP screens have always looked awful, the one Metrolinx showed is just a dark mode redesign:
IMG_4409.jpeg
IMG_4408.jpeg

Spicy opinion here I think, The UP express is heavily used by travellers, advertising like "discover Toronto" should be displayed prominently on them

I don't disagree that such adverts have their place.... but not on wayfinding. Reduce the clutter and make the key information more prominent.
Travellers from out of town need the simplest, clearest delivery of key information. It helps the "routine" travellers, also.

- Paul

Does anyone know what work was done on the Stouffville line during last weekend's closure? The track around the infamous Highland Creek seems to have moved a bit east and, if I'm not imagining things, some work may have progressed on getting ready for the new "culvert."

Feb 28
Stop by Kennedy Station today and the elevator to/from TTC is still not done. Come on!!

All the flashing is done for both platforms with a small still to be done. Looks like work is still taking place in the tunnel to both platform or being a storage area for the platform. The same can be said about the new waiting room for GO in the new Crosstown entrance.

^^^ I feel like CN, and Mx should be introduced to the development team at Centrecourt.

Time is money.

^^^ I feel like CN, and Mx should be introduced to the development team at Centrecourt.

Time is money.

I don't disagree with the sentiment - but I bet Centrecourt has a very different relationship with its subs. Trades showing up too soon for their assigned task is money also. Centrecourt has an opportunity cost when a building opening is delayed.... the opportunity cost of a transit line being unfinished gets swept under the rug. (Interesting that the City of Toronto did recently obtain a damages payment from ML over the costs incurred through schedule slippage of road reconstruction resulting from Crosstown delays.... if ML had to pay damages to everyone impacted by delays in GO expansion.......)

I do wonder how many people CN has tied up in public-driven project planning and execution. This may seem like a plodding effort (it is) but CN is not the one needing utilities moved, civil trades coordinated, signals redesigned, installed, tested and cut in, etc. If you look at the workload imposed by GO expansion, grade separations, etc....I bet a significant number of CN staffers do spend a lot of time working on things that don't impact their own business.....that must drive their overheads up.

Mostly, I wonder why it took ML so long to sign the purchase requisition for this particular task. The time lost before shovels hit the ground is money also.

- Paul

Back